Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I know smoking isn't good for you, and I know all the statistics, but like ALL statistics reported, they are skewed.
Then look at the basic biological research. Smoking hardens arteries, causes cells to become cancerous, destroys normal lung tissue.... seriously the list is endless.

Close your eyes to the truth if you want, but don't sit there and expect anyone who's really looked at the data to believe you when you spout it off on a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times
When pot is legalized the dudes will start smuggling cigibuts

Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:
Smoking is worse than driving drunk and killing innocent children and people? I don't agree. If someone smokes they MIGHT be killing themselves and it is their choice. Second hand smoke is one of the biggest overated statistics. After they pump cigarette smoke 24 hours a day into a small container for months they claim the mice developed cancer from second hand smoke. Gee, that's realistic.
Exactly.
On average, people who've smoked for most of their lives smoke 200-500K cigarettes before a deadly disease effects them. 2nd hand smoke is more of a scam than an overrated statistic. It's an attempt to ban smoking all together for the sake of the non-smokers. You'd have to siting next to a smoker for ever cigarette for decades until 2nd hand smoke causes some harmful disease. (unless you're overly sensitive)
2nd hand smoke - breathing in automobile fumes. Lets ban cars/trucks too!

I also agree that alcohol is worst. Smoking in itself is a bad decision. Alcohol leads to a chain of bad decisions (some really serious) if too much is consumed.
~

Raising taxes on cigarettes are fine by me. It improves the economy- All we need to do now is legalize and tax the hell out of marijuana.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
2nd hand smoke is more of a scam than an overrated statistic.
The chemicals are still there, so why is it a "scam"? Is the dangers of primary cigarette smoke a "scam" too?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The chemicals are still there, so why is it a "scam"? Is the dangers of primary cigarette smoke a "scam" too?

The chemicals are still there, true, but you'd have to be exposed to a hell of a lot of 2nd hand smoke to be physically effected. Walking around Manhattan and breathing in all the cancer-causing chemicals in car/bus exhaust from isn't healthy either. Los Angeles is a well known cancer capital because of this.
Did you read my OP?

It's a scam in terms of giving 2nd hand smoke so much hype.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The chemicals are still there, true, but you'd have to be exposed to a hell of a lot of 2nd hand smoke to be physically effected.
Any evidence to back that up? Otherwise I'm going with the US surgeon general and the scientists that have done the research

Quote:
Walking around Manhattan and breathing in all the cancer-causing chemicals in car/bus exhaust from isn't healthy either. Los Angeles is a well known cancer capital because of this.
so? That's why places like NY and CA have crazy inspection/emission laws for cars. Besides, when it comes to indoor air quality, people don't drive their cars/trucks indoors into restaurants, bars and clubs generally. Unfortunately, people think it's fair to pipe their exhaust there when they are smoking though,

Quote:
It's a scam in terms of giving 2nd hand smoke so much hype.
Again, show me some hard data that it's a scam.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Any evidence to back that up? Otherwise I'm going with the US surgeon general and the scientists that have done the research

so? That's why places like NY and CA have crazy inspection/emission laws for cars. Besides, when it comes to indoor air quality, people don't drive their cars/trucks indoors into restaurants, bars and clubs generally. Unfortunately, people think it's fair to pipe their exhaust there when they are smoking though,

Again, show me some hard data that it's a scam.
Evidence?
Most people smoke for 30, 40, 50, 60 years (depending on the genes) until they croak from a cancerous disease. The vast majority of Non-smokers who are only limited to the occasional 2nd hand smoke aren't exposed to that much cigarette smoke.

Going by your logic, it's just as easy to say "so?" to second hand smoke. I'm not denying that it's harmful, but harmful airborne chemicals are all over the place... And last I checked the majority of restaurants are "non smoking", who says you have to eat at the ones that allow it? That's like saying you don't want to see "skin" in a strip club when eating buffalo wings.
In bars you're harming yourself as it is by drinking, so what's a few hours of second hand smoke going to do to your health in the long run if your busy getting drunk? There's a reason why you can't drink in public.

I'm not supporting smoking cigarettes or anything, but I'm not all for the brainwashing on yet another subject by making things seem worst than it really is. Europe has far less stricter laws when it comes to smoking, there is no over hyped exaggerated fear for the non-smokers. It's a choice if an individual wants to smoke, that's it.

Besides, in one of your previous post you said smokers are more harmful to society than drinkers.... Whatever floats your boat I guess .

Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
maybe they hung around plenty of second-hand smoke. Or they could have had radon in their basements.
My best friend and I always said what kept her mother alive until she was 99 was all the second hand smoke, from her husband and three offspring.

Ex.: Dana Reeves, Christopher Reeves (superman) wife, died 9 months after he passed of lung cancer. Never smoked, Hmmm....

Old 07-11-2010, 12:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times
My own Mother was never around any smoke-her parents neither smoked-no family members. My late Father never smoked. She stopped working back in 1964 and she worked in a library where there was no smoking. She had a 1/2 a lung removed due to cancer. She's 86. Not all of it can be blamed on smoking. My friend's grandfather died a 101-smoked cigars every day of his life and rode his bike until he was 99. So you just never know who is going to get lung cancer.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
My best friend and I always said what kept her mother alive until she was 99 was all the second hand smoke, from her husband and three offspring.

Ex.: Dana Reeves, Christopher Reeves (superman) wife, died 9 months after he passed of lung cancer. Never smoked, Hmmm....
So, just because there is a cause of lung cancer in non-smokers, we can let smoking off the hook?

Right

For every one person like your friend's mother, many more die from smoking-related complications (not just cancer). If the cancer risk doesn't worry you, the stroke/heart attack/amputations from vascular disease should.

From reading the replies in this thread, maybe NY was right to increase those taxes after all. There should be a tax on stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York