Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 PM

142 posts, read 362,652 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the average monthly bill is in the winter and summer in NY, we're moving from FL and the bill in part of spring/summer ESPECIALLY/ and fall is OUTRAGEOUS!! I'm wonering if it will even out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
My electric bills since January (because thats the oldest I current have) -

I have NYSEG, we are a family of 4 in a 3 bedroom 1500 sq ft colonial.

Jan - $40
Feb - $160
March - $75
April - $70
May - $50
June - $100
July - $25

Our gas bills for the same time frame (National Fuel) -

Jan - $106
Feb - $140
March - $73
April - $67
May - $50
June - $25
July - $10

I should also note we were away on vacation in July for almost 2 full weeks.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM

142 posts, read 362,652 times
Yay! Finally some good news about moving up. Thank you so much for sharing! At least there is something that is cheaper up there! I'm in a town home with cathedral ceilings and about 1000sq.ft. and our electric bill this month was about $400!
I forgot you guys pay gas up there, but it still works out better than what we're paying, thank you!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times
It depends on where you live in NYS too. Our bills here in Dutchess seem to keep increasing every time the wind blows and knocks trees down on the powerlines. My last two month bill for gas and electric was $678. We live in a 2000 sq ft home and 5 people. We finally had to go on budget billing-it's $370 a month for both-and we'll get a big bill in December(just in time for Christmas isn't that nice). We built our house in 92-and it's been increasing sometimes rapidly out of control with Central Hudson since. Two years ago-during the height of the fuel increase-our two month bill was $1100 for two months(it'd never gone over $600 during the winter before). It was crazy. I've not had a bill for less than $575 in two years now. Central Hudson has some of the highest rates in the state.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonuptotheeastside View Post
Just wondering what the average monthly bill is in the winter and summer in NY, we're moving from FL and the bill in part of spring/summer ESPECIALLY/ and fall is OUTRAGEOUS!! I'm wonering if it will even out.
Totally depends on a number of things. The size, layout and age of the house. What type of heat do you have - natural gas, LP, oil, electric, etc.? Do you have a/c window units or central air? Where in NY are you talking about? It's a large state and utilities vary. Depends on who your utility company is as well.

I left NY a few months ago and moved to SC. I only have electric in my house and my bill for the summer even with it being 100+ degrees outside many days my bill is about $100 less for the summer months so far. That's $100 per month since moving to SC. I live in a brand new house here with central air. My house in NY was 15 years old and had window units for a/c.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,810 times
Default Living in New York. GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonuptotheeastside View Post
I lived in NY for 55 years and finally got out! Unless your rich, NY is gona drain your money source. Rent in 2005 was $1200 a month for a 1 bedroom, cheezie apt in Woodside and every year the price increased, My electric bill for this 1 bedroom ran $80 to $100 a month. If a single family home is in your plans, be ready to spend at least $300,000 in a decent neighborhood. The subway is a terror. muggers and thieves live down there. My wife was robbed more than several times. mostly by pick-pockets. You can't be found in Central Park after sun down. It could be your last day on earth. I wish you all the luck in the world. Be safe, be aware, be happy. Sincerely, Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: