U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 AM

116 posts, read 258,696 times
Question: Is Peekskill considered upstate NY?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM

29,029 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Question: Is Peekskill considered upstate NY?
Good question, as some would consider it to be, but I would think that most wouldn't.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM

532 posts, read 979,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
Wow, that's the first time I've heard Mamaroneck described as bad. With albany, it's not the downtown so much, it's the neighborhood north of downtown (Arbor Hill) you want to watch out for.

Regarding smaller cities, I'd avoid Amsterdam and and parts of Elmira and Jamestown. Apart from that, most of the smaller cities in upstate are fairly decent. Rundown in parts, but fairly decent.

I find many image-conscious Wrstchester county residents love to trash the unincorporated part of the Town of Mamaroneck, because it's sort of ordinary and normal and there are some Latinos and not everyone goes to the Caribbean in February and Europe in the summer

Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 35,173 times
everytime i have ever mentioned how bad some neighborhoods in ithaca can be to anybody who has never lived in these areas, has never been too ithaca or has visited and seen how great the tourist attractions are an stuff but not the rest of the city, people dont listen an get really ignint, so im just gonna list the three neighborhoods of ithaca that are the worst an not go into detail, IMO worse than the elmira and binghamton neighborhoods..... Southside: the area Around the southside community center and baker park, Triangle Northside/ Lower Northside: the areas around GIAC and obviousely the housing projects, and West End/West Hill: west end appears the most ghettoish but its not the worst although pretty bad for central new york standards, an west hill isnint really dat bad except for the Chestnut Hill apartments, and the West Village Projects...... all of those neighborhoods and areas are on the West side of Ithaca and it makes a "C" shape, i live in southside at the moment, and i lived on W Buffalo St. wich is in Lower Northside, and Literally rite next to west end if i stuck my hanbd out the window of my old house it wud be in west end. ive also lived in the hickish trailor park in forest home, but the trailor burned down, so yea....

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM

36 posts, read 67,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Townz Best View Post
everytime i have ever mentioned how bad some neighborhoods in ithaca can be to anybody who has never lived in these areas, has never been too ithaca or has visited and seen how great the tourist attractions are an stuff but not the rest of the city, people dont listen an get really ignint, so im just gonna list the three neighborhoods of ithaca that are the worst an not go into detail, IMO worse than the elmira and binghamton neighborhoods..... Southside: the area Around the southside community center and baker park, Triangle Northside/ Lower Northside: the areas around GIAC and obviousely the housing projects, and West End/West Hill: west end appears the most ghettoish but its not the worst although pretty bad for central new york standards, an west hill isnint really dat bad except for the Chestnut Hill apartments, and the West Village Projects...... all of those neighborhoods and areas are on the West side of Ithaca and it makes a "C" shape, i live in southside at the moment, and i lived on W Buffalo St. wich is in Lower Northside, and Literally rite next to west end if i stuck my hanbd out the window of my old house it wud be in west end. ive also lived in the hickish trailor park in forest home, but the trailor burned down, so yea....
My sister and her family live in Ithaca, on W Court St, I dont know how anybody could consider the Lower Northside dangerous, It is not exactly wealthy but its certainly not dangerous. And also on the Binghamton side there were shots fired on Downs ave last night which makes the 4th violent crime this week in the neighborhood. The shooting on Julian and Baxter st, Robbery at The Bagel Factory, Shooting on Clinton st and then the one last night.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM

41 posts, read 137,294 times
Im sorry but to even suggest Ithaca as "dangerous" is ridiculous, to suggest it has 4 dangerous neighborhoods is even more ridiculous, There were only 58 violent crimes committed in Ithaca last year spread out among 4 neighborhoods that would be only 14 violent crimes in a neighborhood. Here are the violent crime rates. Elmira: 366 Binghamton: 621 Ithaca: 193

Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 PM

707 posts, read 761,765 times
I've noticed if you do go in these parts you call "bad" as long as you are friendly and do not cause any trouble you will be fine.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM

41 posts, read 137,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I've noticed if you do go in these parts you call "bad" as long as you are friendly and do not cause any trouble you will be fine.
As true with most parts in any city really

Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 PM

330 posts, read 1,101,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster View Post
Im sorry but to even suggest Ithaca as "dangerous" is ridiculous, to suggest it has 4 dangerous neighborhoods is even more ridiculous, There were only 58 violent crimes committed in Ithaca last year spread out among 4 neighborhoods that would be only 14 violent crimes in a neighborhood. Here are the violent crime rates. Elmira: 366 Binghamton: 621 Ithaca: 193
Actually, Ithaca has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the US. There is some crimes commited, but I believe some crime can happen in any city. I get the feeling I-Townz Best might be a youngster trying to make Ithaca seem gansta, but in reality Ithaca is still Gorges.

I do worry about the school system if I-TB' post is an example of what ICSD is turning out now.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:04 PM

29,029 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Pretty much, as the crime for the most part in Upstate NY cities are related to lifestyle(usually drug related, domestic disputes and disputes usually between people that know each other to some degree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York