Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 21,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
What about Greece? Is that on the water too? Is it nice?
Hey all. Didn't want to create another thread, so i figured i'd just revive this one. I read up on Greece and found an amazing house right on lake Ontario. Its around 250,000(i live on the other side of the country), is this a decent price for a 2000 square foot house right on the beach? Where i live in California 250,000 won't get you much(thus why were moving to the noreast...that and the weather). Also, whats the job market like in Rochester in the financial field(financial manger).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
That sounds like a fairly normal price for that size house in the Rochester area, depending on how nice the house is. Home prices in Upstate NY aren't anywhere near as expensive as in California. What seems low to you is a normal price here and doesn't indicate there's anything "wrong" with the house.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
That sounds like a fairly normal price for that size house in the Rochester area, depending on how nice the house is. Home prices in Upstate NY aren't anywhere near as expensive as in California. What seems low to you is a normal price here and doesn't indicate there's anything "wrong" with the house.
Well i wasn't really suggesting that anything would be wrong with the house, i was more wondering if greece isn't a good town or has lots of crime(thus being so cheap). Also, whats the job market like in and around Rochester for someone with a BBA(Bachelor of Business administration)?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboobguy View Post
Well i wasn't really suggesting that anything would be wrong with the house, i was more wondering if greece isn't a good town or has lots of crime(thus being so cheap). Also, whats the job market like in and around Rochester for someone with a BBA(Bachelor of Business administration)?
Greece is fine. It is a Western suburb of Rochester with about 90,000 people or so. If you go on the Rochester board, you will notice that the Eastern suburbs get a better rep than the Western suburbs, mainly because the Eastern suburbs are more affluent and probably because they aren't as "diverse" as the Western suburbs too. That doesn't mean that the Western suburbs are bad, but that is just how the reputation goes. Actually, my sister's family lives in the Western subrbs of Rochester.

Also, while the Greece school district is the main school district for the town, some kids in Greece go to Hilton schools and maybe Spencerport schools as well.

As for the job market, I'm not sure, but this list might help: All Business Administration Jobs in Rochester, NY | RochesterWorks.com

Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Greece is fine. It is a Western suburb of Rochester with about 90,000 people or so. If you go on the Rochester board, you will notice that the Eastern suburbs get a better rep than the Western suburbs, mainly because the Eastern suburbs are more affluent and probably because they aren't as "diverse" as the Western suburbs too. That doesn't mean that the Western suburbs are bad, but that is just how the reputation goes. Actually, my sister's family lives in the Western subrbs of Rochester.

Also, while the Greece school district is the main school district for the town, some kids in Greece go to Hilton schools and maybe Spencerport schools as well.

As for the job market, I'm not sure, but this list might help: All Business Administration Jobs in Rochester, NY | RochesterWorks.com
Thanks for that link. Also, does anyone know how terrible the taxes would be on a 2,000 sqft house on the lake?

Oh and plus rep Ck

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,085 times
Living in condo 30 miles east of San Francisco and pondering if to move back to lakefront property outside of Dexter, NY.

Any thoughts on this.

MP

Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmal1 View Post
Living in condo 30 miles east of San Francisco and pondering if to move back to lakefront property outside of Dexter, NY.

Any thoughts on this.

MP
Go for it, as that area is peaceful and quite. You would be close to Canada and other nice communities like Alexandria Bay, Chaumont, Clayton and Sackets Harbor.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,085 times
Thanks for the reponse. California has the weather but your right that is is noisy. Most likley will make the move 2010.

MP

Old 12-17-2017, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
The city of Rochester touches Lake Ontario....the unique and thriving Charlotte neigbhorood of the city of Rochester is on Lake Ontario...it's about 15 minutes from downtown though. Ontario Beach Park, known as Charlotte Beach, right on Lake Ontario at the northern edge of the Charlotte nieghborhood....also, Durand-Eastman Park, which is owned by the City of Rochester but basically in Irondequoit, is right on Lake Ontario and has a much nicer beach.
Thanks for the great insight. I want to spend the second half of my life in Rochester and I wanted to know more about it. I think living on Lake Ontario would be great, but I am concerned about buying a fully weatherized house to endure the winters.
In my fantasies, I imagine the crew from This Old House completely renovating my proposed home for me

Old 12-17-2017, 05:19 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,086,058 times
I live on the lake and can tell you that prices range from about $150,000 to multi million. Most houses in the lower range probably need some work as it is not uncommon for those houses to be torn down and replaced with a new house. You can live in the neighborhood much cheaper if you don't buy a house directly on the lake, but still enjoy the summer breeze and cooler weather in the summer, just not the view.

Any specific questions, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York