U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM

7 posts, read 26,446 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Sorry if something like this has been posted before. Everyone has different wants and needs, so I figured I'd post my own!

My husband and I recently got married and are looking to relocate to upstate NY. We are on the younger side, 23 & 28, but tend to avoid the "bar scene". We prefer going out to local restuarants and hitting the movies or historic spots instead. I am going to school to become an LPN, and my husband is a glass fabricator & installer. We currently live in Westchester County, NY and to be honest, I'm disgusted by the prices. I have always loved rural areas and have dreamed of possibly having a cow one day! We have no kids, but plan on having one at some point in the future, so safety and good school districts are at the top of our list. We LOVE small towns/villages, but aren't scared off by *some* population. We need an area in which my husband will be able to find glass work (easier said than done) and in which I can find work as an LPN (nursing homes, rehabs, doctor's office, etc.) We are extremely easy going and friendly and love meeting new people...so any town with stuck up, fake, or generally un-friendly people is a NO GO!!! We're looking for a place that we can stay in for a longgggg time. We currently live in an apartment, but plan on buying a house when we move up there. We'd like to stay under $200,000 and would love to have a little land, but a ton isn't necessary. One of the places that I have come across in the little bit of research that I have done is Corning, NY. It seems to have the type of houses that we adore (older homes that may need some work, especially Victorian's or Colonial's), historic feeling, but yet still a decent amount of stuff to do. Anyone from that area with any advice? I've also seen a lot of Tioga County on the forums. Any specific towns in that county that would seem to suit our needs? Sorry for the ridiculously long post, but I figure the more I specify, the better....or I could be completely wrong...

Someone help!!! LOL. We plan on moving around March 2012, so we have almost 1.5 years. Also, we DO plan on taking a road trip to the towns that we are interested in probably once in October and once towards the summer.

The reason I am on here asking for all of your help is because we don't get up there very often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 1 day ago)

31,318 posts, read 36,955,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P. View Post
Hey everyone!

Sorry if something like this has been posted before. Everyone has different wants and needs, so I figured I'd post my own!

My husband and I recently got married and are looking to relocate to upstate NY. We are on the younger side, 23 & 28, but tend to avoid the "bar scene". We prefer going out to local restuarants and hitting the movies or historic spots instead. I am going to school to become an LPN, and my husband is a glass fabricator & installer. We currently live in Westchester County, NY and to be honest, I'm disgusted by the prices. I have always loved rural areas and have dreamed of possibly having a cow one day! We have no kids, but plan on having one at some point in the future, so safety and good school districts are at the top of our list. We LOVE small towns/villages, but aren't scared off by *some* population. We need an area in which my husband will be able to find glass work (easier said than done) and in which I can find work as an LPN (nursing homes, rehabs, doctor's office, etc.) We are extremely easy going and friendly and love meeting new people...so any town with stuck up, fake, or generally un-friendly people is a NO GO!!! We're looking for a place that we can stay in for a longgggg time. We currently live in an apartment, but plan on buying a house when we move up there. We'd like to stay under $200,000 and would love to have a little land, but a ton isn't necessary. One of the places that I have come across in the little bit of research that I have done is Corning, NY. It seems to have the type of houses that we adore (older homes that may need some work, especially Victorian's or Colonial's), historic feeling, but yet still a decent amount of stuff to do. Anyone from that area with any advice? I've also seen a lot of Tioga County on the forums. Any specific towns in that county that would seem to suit our needs? Sorry for the ridiculously long post, but I figure the more I specify, the better....or I could be completely wrong...

Someone help!!! LOL. We plan on moving around March 2012, so we have almost 1.5 years. Also, we DO plan on taking a road trip to the towns that we are interested in probably once in October and once towards the summer.

The reason I am on here asking for all of your help is because we don't get up there very often!
Corning was the first place I thought of. You might like villages/areas like Horseheads or Elmira Heights too. Owego is a nice village in Tioga County, that was voted the "Coolest Small Town in America" recently.

This should help too: Corning, NY Jobs | Jobs in Corning New York and Surrounding Areas

You can use that website to search in other parts of Upstate NY and for health care employment too.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 26,446 times
Thank you! I appreciate any help! I'll definitely check out that website.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 AM

4,120 posts, read 7,697,886 times
You might look into Glen Falls, Moreau, Northunderland, Malta, Balston Spa.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 1 day ago)

31,318 posts, read 36,955,458 times
A sleeper might be the Watertown/Jefferson County area, which has grown quite a bit due to the increased military presence at Fort Drum.

Plattsburgh is another area that has grown a little bit too.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 PM

600 posts, read 820,518 times
It may not be the area you're looking for but Rochester could be a good area for you. It has a large population of health care workers and it's economy is the second largest in New York State. Rochester also is projected to grow in the next five years economically and possible in population as a result of that. Today, in 2010, the region has roughly 500,000 jobs and is honestly still in a recession. By 2012, however, the economy is projected to recover completely and by 2015 we are projected to have closer to 540,000 jobs.

There are many good neighborhoods in the city such as the south wedge, swillburg and even northland-lyceum if your looking for something more suburban. If you want to be further out (maybe if you don't find a job downtown) you could check out Brighton, Pittsford or Fairport. As for the school districts, the city's is downright terrible as of this year. The illiteracy rate is around 51% and the dropout rate is something like 40%. If you decide to live in the city, send your kids to a private school, there are many nice ones in the area. The suburban districts, on the other hand, are rated some of the best in the nation.

Rochester's city proper population is about 207,000 as of the 2009 prediciton and it's metro is at 1.03 million. If your looking to buy a house, they are very cheap. You could get one for between 50k-235k in the city and slightly higher in the suburbs. I have to warn you though, property taxes are quite high. Hope this helps!

Economic projection - http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...than-two-years

Slightly outdated economic stats - http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...r-Economy.html

3rd best place to raise a family - http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/bes...s_slide_9.html

City website - City of Rochester

Universities - http://www.rochester.edu/ http://www.sjfc.edu/

Last edited by 585WNY; 08-15-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,275 times
Default how far upstate?

My husband and I live in "way upstate" NY...a town called Bloomingdale...about 10 miles from Lake Placid and about an hour from Vermont...Plattsburgh is a decent size town...has a college...shopping places...lots of hotels and eating places...the adirondack mountains are nice....

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,329,773 times
Default Think Pburgh is nice because...........

People are nice, schools are great and you are within an hour's drive of Lake Placid, Burlington Vermont, Montreal area, a bit further down I -87 and you have Saratoga with horses and concerts in summer........It's just a good-sized place with a lot more to offer than most people realize.......the lake is(Lake Champlain) right here with sailing, canoeing, kayaking, boating, fishing and the proximity of the High Peaks for hiking and camping,skiing places for kids, tubing, etc. make it great for families and a real sense of history and environmental respect. Kids enjoy local college hockey teams and little ones have own hockey leagues and indoor skating at fieldhouse on weekends. Lots of history and historic monuments.... It's definitely worth a visit.......C of Commerce is very helpful here to all.....growing area but very well planned. Great webpage online... Awesome area for families wanting a real meaningful childhood for their kids...local soccer, teams, fund-raising, sports, clubs, school pride, arts on upswing......Great sense of community and 'taking a village' to task for helping raise community kids and teens.........Just might want to come visit for weekend............Glad my kids were raised here. They made life-long friendships.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York