Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,909,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar17 View Post
I can't believe NYS has bled the residents of our state for new & ugly plates! It was an awful transition.....
Everyone who had the blue plates on a validly registered vehicle was given the choice to either keep them or switch to the new plates when they started issuing the new ones. I've had my blue plates since 2001, which was one of the first years they were issuing them. Everyone I know who had them on a previous car and subsequently bought a newer car since the orange plates were issued has switched them from their old car to their new one as part of the transfer of registration. I did that in 2009 when I bought the car I drive now; IIRC, they were issuing the orange plates at that time.

Could be worse. My father is 77 and a NYS native, and has been a licensed driver since the late 1950's. He says at one time you had to get new plates every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Everyone who had the blue plates on a validly registered vehicle was given the choice to either keep them or switch to the new plates when they started issuing the new ones. I've had my blue plates since 2001, which was one of the first years they were issuing them. Everyone I know who had them on a previous car and subsequently bought a newer car since the orange plates were issued has switched them from their old car to their new one as part of the transfer of registration. I did that in 2009 when I bought the car I drive now; IIRC, they were issuing the orange plates at that time.

Could be worse. My father is 77 and a NYS native, and has been a licensed driver since the late 1950's. He says at one time you had to get new plates every year.

This site has pictures of just about every year. Enjoy!
History Of New York License Plates: Photo Gallery

Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This site has pictures of just about every year. Enjoy!
History Of New York License Plates: Photo Gallery
Interesting!

I wonder what the heck is NY's fascination with yellow and orange???

They've started being just as uncreative with the yearly inspection stickers. I think the one they are giving out this year is grey (we just did grey in the last 4-5 years already!!!!). I won't get mine until August.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,520,352 times
Current vomit yellow plates are hideous. I was so happy when NY changed over to the blue/white plates. I've kept my old blue/white plates on all my cars. You actually have to pay extra to "upgrade" to those hideous vomit yellow plates when you renew the registration. Screw that.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:54 AM

19,103 posts, read 16,913,475 times
I like the new plate it reminds me of those when I was younger, I never cared for the blue/white ones. At least its not like NJ where every license plate color combo I remember was ugly.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,891 times
Anyone know if you are still allowed to use the red and white liberty plates? I still have a set of those with the same plate numbers as my white and blue plates.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetloss View Post
Anyone know if you are still allowed to use the red and white liberty plates? I still have a set of those with the same plate numbers as my white and blue plates.
I would say no, because I have not seen any on the road since the blue ones were phased in around 2001. IIRC everyone had to get the blue plates at the time of their next registration renewal after they started issuing the blue plates. My first car, bought in April 2001, had the blue plates issued to it.

State License Plates to Get New Look - The New York Times

Quote:
The state's red, white and blue Statue of Liberty license plates will be retired starting this fall and will be replaced by plates with different colors and new landmarks -- Niagara Falls, the Adirondacks and a small New York City skyline featuring the Empire State Building, officials said today.

The Department of Motor Vehicles will start distributing the new plates in October, and the old plates will be phased out by October 2002. ''The D.M.V. staff, with the help of law enforcement agencies, have designed a beautiful plate, which will result in the removal of thousands of illegal vehicles from the road,'' said Richard Jackson, the state's motor vehicles commissioner.

It is estimated that there as many as 700,000 expired or unauthorized license plates on New York roads, officials said. New York license plates do not have expiration dates on them.
I wouldn't recommend you try to use them on the road. They should have been turned in to the DMV when you got the blue plates.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:38 AM

6,287 posts, read 4,808,013 times
If NYS is reading this maybe they will give you the Blue and White option for $100 extra and raise more funds for the ever increasing budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York