Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

Newburgh is a city that has been excluded from proper sanitation, education and public services for more than 20 years. It is a trap for those living in it because its cheap but its also turned working class people into animals in a cage. I have been in Newburgh since 1995 and have seen the city officials turn a blind eye to the community they are supposed to represent. I also realized they own much of the real estate in downtown which is the worst poverty striken area of Newburgh. It doesn't take much to realize that they want to slowly push all the working class out through violence which is rampant at the moment. Gentrification is upgrading some areas but at a price. Yes, those removed will now move to other small cities villages in your area. All because the city councils and major don't want to better the bad economic situations they have been ignoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
OK, I'll agree that living right in Newburgh would not be good for the reasons stated, but there is a lot of alarmism in this thread. Not everyone needs to live in a wealthy sub-division of McMansions to be happy.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Default Concerned...

My daughter is 19. She is moving to Poughkeepsie in 3 weeks as she is attending Dutchess Community College. She will be moving in with a guy who is a childhood friend. They are looking at an apartment in the Northern part of Academy St. Can you tell me about this area please. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
Net-

Sorry, but the City of Poughkeepsie isn't the safest place to live. Generally, the south side is safer than the north side.

As far as Academy St. goes, the pocket that actually is nice ranges from Route 9 up to about Montgomery St. Is she within this range? This is known as the Academy Street Historic District. Beyond Montgomery St., Academy gets a bit shady.

If she must live in the city then try looking for something along Hooker Ave. ; the closer to Vassar College, the better.

Avoid Smith St., N. Hamilton, N. Clinton, N. Clover, N. Perry, N. Bridge St's.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,935 times
Some Marist college student wrote this about Poughkeepsie.

[url]https://digitory.box.com/s/fv09ehuorzy57u72g9yi[/url]

Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,935 times
Delano is a VERY nice area of PK.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:01 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Why not Somers? You couldn't ask for a nicer or safer town. Why gamble with Poughkeepsie?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:01 PM

180 posts, read 214,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Why not Somers? You couldn't ask for a nicer or safer town. Why gamble with Poughkeepsie?
Because the same money that gets you into a 1-bedroom shoebox sized condo somewhere in Somers/Yorktown Heights will get you into a move-in ready 3br/2ba house nearly anywhere in Town of Poughkeepsie? Property taxes on the house in PK would probably be cheaper too. Westchester schools have a better reputation but Arlington and Spackenkill have good reps too.

I wouldn't waste my money on Westchester even if I could afford it, you get a ton more for your money up north. Stay out of the actual city of PK and the rest of southern Dutchess is no less safe than Somers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York