U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 2,553 times
Default Earthships

Does anyone know where it's legal to build a modified earthship in NY state or neighboring states. Does anyone know where someone could purchase the land for this construction.

Although all information is wanted, please if you don't know what an earthship is or what it's for please do not reply. If you do not have relevant information pertaining to this subject please do not reply.

Thanks in advance,
serenityseeker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
What's an Earthship

Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 AM

602 posts, read 1,083,049 times
Gee Serenity that's does not seem very nice. I would think the first part of sustainable living is that you play well with others.

Here you go LJ
Earthship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM

6,409 posts, read 6,617,155 times
I would think that as long as they are built to code, there would not be a problem. I have been in some pretty funky architecture in NYS, geodesic domes, shoji-screened Japanese architecture, etc.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM

408 posts, read 1,292,109 times
Whether it is 'legal' or not will depend on the local code officer- local code trumps state/national code, so you are somewhat at the mercy of local officials and how 'open minded' they are. Certainly there are many, many safe and successful examples of earthships that have been around for years that you could cite in defense of a plan to build one, but as I'm sure you already know, the vast majority of them are in climates that are quite different than that of NY. Most of NY is not perfectly ideal for passive solar (which isn't to say it shouldn't be incorporated into any new building, just that one doesn't get as much from solar here as say, New Mexico), we don't have the large day/night temp. swings that an earthship is designed to both take advantage of and moderate, we have humidity levels that can be problematic for earth construction, etc. etc. That said, it would be interesting to see and earthship adapted to NY- maybe one or more have already been build in the area, though I've personally never heard of one.

For sure, you probably wouldn't be able to get a mortgage to build one and likely would have problems insuring, and you'd have more luck building unmolested in a rural area. Out of sight, out of mind.... While I don't condone breaking the 'law,' it is usually easier to do something and ask forgiveness than it is to as for permission first! There is quite an active community of alternative/natural owner/builders in the Ithaca area- my guess would be that if there are any earthships in NY, they'd be there.

Finding land may be a little tricky at the moment, with a lot of uncertainty surrounding natural gas development. Areas in the Marcellus Shale could end up not being the nicest (or cleanest) places to live in the next few years, and in the meantime are likely to have a lot of local tensions between pro-frack/anti-frack neighbors.

I believe VT essentially has no enforced building code, and my impression is that if you have a permit you can pretty much build however you want, but it is difficult to get a building permit (VT wants to carefully control development and preserve the states rural character, etc.).

As someone who has been involved in both conventional and natural building, its my personal feeling that while earthships are fantastic, in their 'usual' form they are not the best idea for NY. I wouldn't mind being proved wrong on that, though.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM

1,790 posts, read 873,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenityseeker2011 View Post
Does anyone know where it's legal to build a modified earthship in NY state or neighboring states. Does anyone know where someone could purchase the land for this construction.

Although all information is wanted, please if you don't know what an earthship is or what it's for please do not reply. If you do not have relevant information pertaining to this subject please do not reply.

Thanks in advance,
serenityseeker
Serenityseeker? Hmm.

Anyway, after reading information on this, as with anything else that is fairly new the bugs need ironing out. I think it's a wonderful idea though. I recall seeing these structures on the 'Discovery Channel' several years ago.

Tried to locate some information online on the legality and zoning in NY State, but came up empty. Seems you'll have to call the zoning board or hope that someone with zoning expertise is reading this forum. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,474 times
I am currently building an earthship in NY State, about an hour north of syracuse, NY. I needed to get a set of stamped plans and then I got my building permit. I am currently on the 4th course and having a tire pounding party on July 30th 2011.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,283 posts, read 34,983,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronkman1 View Post
I am currently building an earthship in NY State, about an hour north of syracuse, NY. I needed to get a set of stamped plans and then I got my building permit. I am currently on the 4th course and having a tire pounding party on July 30th 2011.
What the.......? Is this serious?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

263 posts, read 305,672 times
Earthship?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 PM

1,406 posts, read 749,971 times
Please see this page and note New york state scroll down for the big map):

https://earthship.com/pockets-of-freedom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York