Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times

Advertisements

Because people move from the city into the suburbs. Therefore the suburbs grow. This is pretty basic stuff here. Its been happening for years in most older US metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Because people move from the city into the suburbs. Therefore the suburbs grow.
... but Monroe County is losing population or stagnant at best.

2000-2006 (census est.)

Monroe -0.6
Orleans -2.2
Genesee -0.2
Livingston -0.2
Ontario +4.1
Wayne -0.9

Rochester MSA +3.5%

USA +6.4%

Last edited by Muggy; 07-22-2007 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 PM

So? Look at the stats for places like Webster, Victor and Henrietta. The person below seemed to think that everywhere in NY has been shrinking and this has not been true.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
So? Look at the stats for places like Webster, Victor and Henrietta. The person below seemed to think that everywhere in NY has been shrinking and this has not been true.
I am enjoying that you are simultaneously arguing micro and macro depending on who you are responding to. Are we talking a town, city, county or region?

I also find it interesting that you argue so hard for Rochester regardless of the issue. You either A.) have that mental illness that plagues all Rochesterians (don't worry, I have it too), or B.) Own "investment real estate." I suspect both.

To the original topic, I don't see how you can deny that there is a shortage of education jobs in the Rochester area (actually it is more likely an oversupply of teachers, but that's another issue). Anecdotally, I can tell you that a relative of mine was trying transfer this year and the secretary said that she logged about 600 applications for one position. That your friends got jobs after graduating does not mean that the market isn't tight. That you like Rochester does not mean it is growing. That Victor boomed does not mean that there are plenty of education jobs.

How's that Italian mall coming, by the way?

Old 07-22-2007, 04:49 PM

I'm talking towns here.
I argue hard for the area (and other areas I've lived/worked in) because some people state things that just are not true. When I've spent time in other areas I see similar arguments made by people attempting to bash their former areas.

I deny that there is a shortage of jobs and will argue that there is an overpopulation of people wanting the jobs due to benefits that New York state teachers make combined with the large amount of schools that pump out education majors.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I'm talking towns here.
I argue hard for the area (and other areas I've lived/worked in) because some people state things that just are not true. When I've spent time in other areas I see similar arguments made by people attempting to bash their former areas.

I deny that there is a shortage of jobs and will argue that there is an overpopulation of people wanting the jobs due to benefits that New York state teachers make combined with the large amount of schools that pump out education majors.
Thank you for the clarification. You didn't take my troll bait; I'll have to do better next time. As for the oversupply of teachers we are both in agreement. My theory is that there are/were so many boomer kids in the area during Rochester's heyday (80's) that graduated in the 90's, that these people (you, me, our friends) grew up in a time when things weren't that bad (even with the lay-offs, the average Rochesterian could buy stuff - maybe a house - and make a decent middle-class living).

So you have all of these kids that are used to cable, having a car, free time and whatnot, that see what teachers make, look at the cost of living and went to Geneseo et. al. for education. Both of my siblings did. There simply is not enough room for everyone to be a teacher.

I've found that most Rochesterians - teachers or otherwise - are mostly dissatisfied with their quality-of-life outside of WNY. (My apologies for thread drift, but I believe it's relevant.)

If you were born in the 70's/early 80's and grew up in Rochester 'burbs, you had it good. Damn good.

What's your take?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 PM

I believe. I compare my quality of life growing up (when we got out of the city) to other college friends/work people that are from other areas and many of them did not have it as good as we did. Friends in our teenage years had their own cars, lived in large houses with unnecessary rooms, got very generous christmas presents and whatnot. People from other areas (in the norhteast at least) did not have all of those luxuries.
The people I know from wny that moved down south like quality of life monetary wise, but hate the other aspects such as community, culture, food, etc. The people that moved to places such as NYC or Boston have to live paycheck to paycheck in very small living areas but seem to be happier than the ones who moved south, since the areas offer so much. Most if not all people that I know who moved down south have either moved back or are looking to move back.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 63,991 times
Quote:
Because people move from the city into the suburbs. Therefore the suburbs grow. This is pretty basic stuff here. Its been happening for years in most older US metro areas.

Thanks for explaining this concept to me. I was wondering why no one shopped at Midtown Plaza anymore.

But really, I gander you are pro-Rochester, which is yes, the best city in NY, but really things aren't that good here. At all. Overall. I mean for people in healthcare (docs, nurses) and possibly teachers (that of course found jobs) and then engineer people....but really a look in the D & C on a Sunday is 3-4 pages.....when other cities its size are usually a lot thicker. There are problems, my friend, and I don't see the tide turning any time soon. Regardless if a new school was built in the past 40 years in Monroe County.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,280 times
My advice is to move out of the area to get your start. Don't (and I repeat DO NOT) settle for something less just to stay in a particular upstate NY area. They are falling by the wayside. IF you choose, you can always return.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:17 PM

121 posts, read 382,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
NYS is certainly tops in education nationwide. I can not tell you how many people move into our district from other states and expound on how the poor their previous schools were...the south seems to be the worst (just going by what transplanted parents tell us ) with Florida leading the way......
According to NEWSWEEK 2007 Best High Schools, it appears the South is actually leading the way, with Fl. holding the most schools (22). The only recognizable upstate districts were City Honors in Buffalo, Pittsford, and Brighton.

America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/site/newsweek/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York