Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post
Do the people from WNY generally get accepted more so than those from downstate? Also, are you originally from NC and this is an actual "southerners" take on it or no? I am just curious is all and not trying to offend you or say anything wrong to make it seem that way to you.
No, I'm originally from Rochester just like I said....and within the next few hours I will be heading up there to visit family and look at houses because my family and I want to return after being in NC for 12 long years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,697,251 times
I know 3 people this summer moving back. 2 are from Charlotte and 1 is from the DC metro area. The people moving back from Charlotte are moving because they can't stand the bland boring Charlotte area. They hate the lack of identity, lack of food choices and don't find the cost of living to be that much lower. The friend in the DC metro area can not deal with the very high cost of living.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 12,452 times
I lived in Bath, Arcade, and Warsaw NY. My family and I moved to Florida 3 Years ago and we cannot wait to get the H#ll out of here. The weather sucks in the summer. The only reason we are still here is work.
We like to bike, hike and other outside activities, which we really miss. It is sooo hot in the summer and humid that just standing outside works up a terrible sweat.
The people who are natives, are very rude and have it in for the people from the north. I am proud to be from NY and could care less what they think.
It is so beautiful in upstate NY. If you have a good job, and a home in NY, don't even think about moving to Florida.
I live in Ocala and the price of property is so expensive here. We paid 150.000.00 for a small 2 bedroom home right next to the train tracks.
It is nuts!!
Hope this helps you.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,848,234 times
Well my wife and I are New Yorkers but have family in the south. We have traveled to the south many times and never met anyone who was rude to us. I am not saying that it does not happen but living outside NYC, people think the world is all about them. People do have a real attitude and materialism is what New Yorkers are all about. So maybe it’s not the south but the New York attitude that sets southerners off.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:11 PM

928 posts, read 3,844,102 times
This is an interesting topic. I've been in the charlotte metro area for 8 years. I left buffalo and my parka and never looked back. Life in the south is the journey you make it. You can sit and be home sick or make a quailty of life. Most young people I know are here because there are career opportunities. My college alumni chapter is huge here.

I personally have days where I think NY is better then NC, but when there's a storm in buffalo or it snows for 30 days straight, I don't miss it. I miss the food so much. However, I feel that life is what you make of it no matter where you live. It does get quite hot here. Plus, it's a little over an hour to fly back to Buffalo.

And last but not least, I still have my NY attitude.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,074,734 times
It's all about attitude and position in life.....some people are more adaptable by nature so uprooting and leaving upstate NY is not a big deal....others are more entrenched in the very things that bring so many back to this area and that's the old time feel good nature of the area. Maybe it's the long winters that make us appreciate getting out and about when the weather is nice and raises our appreciaton level for all things in life; who knows. But it seems there is a complacency about people who live in areas that are hopspots due muchly to the weather so another nice day is just that. I know people who have moved to Raleigh/Charlotte and adore it; I know others who have moved there and although love the 3 seasons, still recognize it as just another place with it's own problems......there truly is no Utopia....

Life is what you make it and if moving south is an option in your life, keep an open mind....if change of scenery is what you're looking for, consider vacationing there when our weather hits it's low points. Sometimes, just a short sabbatical from the long winters is all one needs and it's far cheaper than uprooting yourselves only to find out it's not all it's being cracked up to be......

Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 80,063 times
So b/c I was on a vacation in SC about five yrs back and had no problems should that mean that I should be fine moving to that area(around Greenville, SC/Charlotte, NC)? When I was down there we were never called anything mean(to our faces anyways that is)and seemed to be treated pretty well.

The thing is that I am going into education and know I won't get hired around here b/c I am also legally blind, but I also am majoring in musical theatre and that may actually be a problem down there. How is the culture in that aspect in that area?

ETA! I have also thought about moving to the New Orleans area b/c of the culture, but would ike to know if anyone from WNYS has moved to that area and had any problems?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,074,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post
So b/c I was on a vacation in SC about five yrs back and had no problems should that mean that I should be fine moving to that area(around Greenville, SC/Charlotte, NC)? When I was down there we were never called anything mean(to our faces anyways that is)and seemed to be treated pretty well.

The thing is that I am going into education and know I won't get hired around here b/c I am also legally blind, but I also am majoring in musical theatre and that may actually be a problem down there. How is the culture in that aspect in that area?
Vacations vs living somewhere is not the same....during vacations, we hit the high points, the tourist areas, the pretty, if you will....when you actually live in an area, the real-life, everyday life problems will emerge and that's what people need to remember: the touted Shangri-la's of the country DO still deal in realism...you can not get away from that ever

Culturally, someone else will have to address that issue although with the number of white collar jobs in the triangle, it would seem that cultural events would rank high......

Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 80,063 times
Thanks, and I forgot about remembering the differences b/t vacationing and living in a place.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 41,484 times
Grew up in Buffalo, went to first 2 years of college in NY. I've lived in 2 North Carolina cities. Currently Raleigh, where I'll probably stay for as long as I can see. For one thing, it's nice to live in a place that is growing rapidly. Seeing the success of business and the budding area is nice. Raleigh is more expensive than Buffalo. But then again, Buffalo is about the cheapest city in America to live. Houses and rent are a little more expensive in Raleigh, but with the exception of teachers, people make more money in Raleigh than they would in Buffalo. There's still plenty of room to grow even though Raleigh has gained almost 100,000 people since the year 2000. Raleigh has been known as being very sprawled, but in the last 3 years, they've started infill projects, creating more density. Downtown is booming. The skyline will double within 2 years.

You couldn't pay me to move back to Buffalo. Wife is from NYC and she feels the same way.
In the 9 years I've lived here, I can count on 1 hand the number of people I've known who were Nascar fans. It's not something I ever notice. Charlotte is more redneck like and more sprawled out. Raleigh is smaller in population than Charlotte, but Charlotte is like 4 times the land area of Raleigh.

1 complaint only- I miss Buffalo's pizza.
If you can't find a job in Raleigh, you haven't stepped out your front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York