Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM

16 posts, read 80,171 times

Advertisements

I currently am living in Batavia, but want to move south. I am just curiuos what other former/returnee Western NYSers think of moving south. I just have no clue what to do anymore. I have read about LI/NYCers moving south and coming back to NYS, but haven't read anything really about people from around here. I am just looking for thought on this is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM

103 posts, read 653,995 times
Of course people move south and move back north - members of my own family included, and for all the reasons you might think:

* not quite as inexpensive as advertised
* pay not quite as advertised
* miss "home"
* schools not up to par
* health care requires long waits
* government programs for seniors not very good
* weather not "great" all year long

etc., etc

Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,124 times
There are several threads about this on this Forum. One is just two threads down:

Hey all New Yorkers I miss NY, moved south feel like I made a BIG mistake!

Another is

Anybody leave NY only to come back?

At least two more concern problems NY staters have had moving South.

Try some keyword searches under the Search option above.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I moved from suburban Rochester (Greece) to the Raleigh NC area in December 1994....tomorrow, I'm headed up to good ole' Rochester to visit family and look at houses....hopefully we'll be back up there for good by the end of August. The south is very overrated IMO. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize that and fix it.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I moved from suburban Rochester (Greece) to the Raleigh NC area in December 1994....tomorrow, I'm headed up to good ole' Rochester to visit family and look at houses....hopefully we'll be back up there for good by the end of August. The south is very overrated IMO. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize that and fix it.
This is this persons opinion.....I moved to NC and wouldn't move back to NY for all the Rays pizza in the world.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This is this persons opinion.....I moved to NC and wouldn't move back to NY for all the Rays pizza in the world.
Okay, but can you please tell me why you haven't had any problems and which part of NYS did you move down there from?

The thing I am wondering is if it's only people who liven in the NYC area that are having such a hard time with the southerners or if it is everyone from any part of NYS? I mean the only opinions on the south I seem to be finding are that of NYCers and LIers.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I'd say its the oppsoite....there are far more people from the NYC/Long Island area who LOVE it here and think its utopia. There are only more homesick NYC area people because there are more transplants from the area in the first place because it is much bigger. But I believe you'd find that a much higher proportion of people who move to NC from WNY become homesick compared to those who relocate here from downstate. This makes sense considering that there is a much more community oriented atmosphere and hometown vibe in WNY than most of Long Island/metro NYC (not to mention WNY is MUCH more affordable tham downstate). I am in Wake County and I know that Charlotte is different, I believe there are far more WNY transplants in that area (giving it the nickname "south Buffalo")....while there are more NYC area transplants here in Raleigh.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This is THIS persons opinion too, my cousin moved to New York from Charlotte NC and wouldn't move back to North Carolina for all the NASCAR in the world

Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'd say its the oppsoite....there are far more people from the NYC/Long Island area who LOVE it here and think its utopia. There are only more homesick NYC area people because there are more transplants from the area in the first place because it is much bigger. But I believe you'd find that a much higher proportion of people who move to NC from WNY become homesick compared to those who relocate here from downstate. This makes sense considering that there is a much more community oriented atmosphere and hometown vibe in WNY than most of Long Island/metro NYC (not to mention WNY is MUCH more affordable tham downstate). I am in Wake County and I know that Charlotte is different, I believe there are far more WNY transplants in that area (giving it the nickname "south Buffalo")....while there are more NYC area transplants here in Raleigh.
Do the people from WNY generally get accepted more so than those from downstate? Also, are you originally from NC and this is an actual "southerners" take on it or no? I am just curious is all and not trying to offend you or say anything wrong to make it seem that way to you.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,703 times
A friend of mine moved down there (Charlotte) after his parents did... couldnt get that good of a job, things werent that great.. moved back here, things were kind of the same.. then moved back down there (and AFAIK , still the same ****). All over like 7-8 years or so.

The thing is the people who do really well down there, that rave about how cheap it is , is white collar professionals or kids with those type of degrees coming out of college. They get paychecks they never could have (easily) got up here .. i.e. $70k $80k or more.

Charlotte is a banking town. If your not in finance or IT or something .. or medicine or whatever.. its not that great. That was my friends problem. It wasn't cheaper cause he was still a mechanic working on vehicles or in factories. I think he mainly went down there the 2nd time cause his wife got a teaching degree and couldnt find something up here (cause thats a huge thing up here, but competetion is fierce) I think shes still doing that, but hated the schools down there... they were awful, just like the inner-city schools up here.

Just goes to show the grass isnt always greener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York