U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM

133 posts, read 159,370 times
Default Economically depressed towns upstate?

I always hear people talk about some towns upstate, that seem to have no economic activity and are slowly turning into ghost towns.Can anyone give me some examples of towns like these? I dont mean to demean any community, I'd just like to know what types of places people are talking abut when they say things like this.

I remember a trip I took many many years ago from Hartford, Ct to Cooperstown. No long after reaching the NY border I remember seeing a town that fit this description. Does anyone know what it possibly could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM

697 posts, read 1,117,995 times
Ellenville in Ulster County, Monticello in Sullivan County .... the majority of Sullivan County is run down....areas north of Syracuse

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM

54 posts, read 93,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinher View Post
I always hear people talk about some towns upstate, that seem to have no economic activity and are slowly turning into ghost towns.Can anyone give me some examples of towns like these? I dont mean to demean any community, I'd just like to know what types of places people are talking abut when they say things like this.

I remember a trip I took many many years ago from Hartford, Ct to Cooperstown. No long after reaching the NY border I remember seeing a town that fit this description. Does anyone know what it possibly could be?
They are typically talking about Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Endicott, Johnson City, Elmira.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 PM

1,790 posts, read 893,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
They are typically talking about Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Endicott, Johnson City, Elmira.
Plattsburgh (Clinton County) isn't in great shape either. Along with most surrounding counties as well. Take your pick.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 AM

30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Ellenville in Ulster County, Monticello in Sullivan County .... the majority of Sullivan County is run down....areas north of Syracuse
Towns north of Syracuse vary. Jefferson County has actually gained people mainly due to the military presence. Oswego County has been growing slowly as well. Some old mill towns have lost a lot of people, but some have gained some people or are steady.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,963,713 times
Syracuse isn't a town, it's a city... and it's anything but depressed. Actually, Syracuse is the only metropolitan area in the New York State, besides NYC, that has registered positive growth in the job market. And a fairly significant degree of growth as well... AND in the private sector, no less. In addition to that, there are billions of dollars being invested, through private funding, into our region's companies, new growth and real esate... apparently, these companies feel that Syracuse is a worthy-enough area to return a gain large enough to offset their sizeable investments into it. It's an exciting time to be here!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 AM

30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Plattsburgh (Clinton County) isn't in great shape either. Along with most surrounding counties as well. Take your pick.
Umm...Plattsburgh has gained people recently, as has some of the other cities listed previously. None of the cities are necessarily becoming "ghost towns", but have lost people due to multiple factors(declining industrialization, increased suburbanization and perception about cost of living, etc.).

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM

686 posts, read 1,002,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Towns north of Syracuse vary. Jefferson County has actually gained people mainly due to the military presence. Oswego County has been growing slowly as well. Some old mill towns have lost a lot of people, but some have gained some people or are steady.

Oswego has not been growing. it's had a slight loss.http://http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/population/PopList.asp?st=NY&longname=New%20York (broken link)

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,990,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Unless something major has happened since I graduated, how is Plattsburgh depressed? Wasn't it gaining population? There are many beautiful streets and homes in the area.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,573,565 times
In Western New York, a town called Perry would be a good description of an economic ghost town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York