Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM

92,060 posts, read 122,237,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
They have it so the cashier is completly behind the glass and you slide the money through a little slot, Crown Fried Chicken is at 1200 North St, Endicott, NY. They have had quite a bit of trouble at Kennedys.
I know Kennedy FC is on Main St. on the West Side, but is Crown FC in Central Endicott?

Also, how is the area of Owego around Paige St.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
They have it so the cashier is completly behind the glass and you slide the money through a little slot, Crown Fried Chicken is at 1200 North St, Endicott, NY. They have had quite a bit of trouble at Kennedys.
I know Kennedy FC is on Main St. on the West Side, but is Crown FC in Central Endicott?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM

54 posts, read 152,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Yep, Crown Fried Chicken in right in the heart of Central Endicott the part responsible for most crime. Paige St in owego is in the poorer section around Temple St, Chestnut St etc. Some loud rowdy teens in the neighborhood but no serious crime at all, not even property crime.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yep, Crown Fried Chicken in right in the heart of Central Endicott the part responsible for most crime. Paige St in owego is in the poorer section around Temple St, Chestnut St etc. Some loud rowdy teens in the neighborhood but no serious crime at all, not even property crime.
That's what I thought in regards to Crown FC.

That is interesting about the Paige St. area. Would you say that is the area of Owego that is more diverse than the other parts of town? Historically, it seems to be that way.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought in regards to Crown FC.

That is interesting about the Paige St. area. Would you say that is the area of Owego that is more diverse than the other parts of town? Historically, it seems to be that way.
I really by no stretch of the imagination would call any part of owego diverse, maybe its getting better but I havent noticed much change in diversity at all.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I really by no stretch of the imagination would call any part of owego diverse, maybe its getting better but I havent noticed much change in diversity at all.
I know in terms volume it isn't, but even going back to the early 20th century, there was a concentration of Blacks folks in the Paige Street area. I saw this from 1920 census record online.

Also, the elementary school is about 5-6% Black now, which is decent for such a school in a small town like Owego, considering that it is Upstate NY. I know that Candor has a few too.

I wonder if Lockheed Martin and the location between bigger cities has something to do with that.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I know in terms volume it isn't, but even going back to the early 20th century, there was a concentration of Blacks folks in the Paige Street area. I saw this from 1920 census record online.

Also, the elementary school is about 5-6% Black now, which is decent for such a school in a small town like Owego, considering that it is Upstate NY. I know that Candor has a few too.

I wonder if Lockheed Martin and the location between bigger cities has something to do with that.
The elementary school in Owego is 3.7% black and Candor is 3.9% in its elementary. Maybe you'll see a noticeable change in a couple years like in Endicott in 1987 Charles F. Johnson was 92% white in '09 it is 74%, For JC's Elementary/Primary School it was 96% white in '89 and in '09 it is 70%, Woodrow Wilson in Binghamton was 82% white in '89 and in '09 it is 52%. So maybe Tioga county will continue the trend Broome County is seeing but I just cant bring myself to call Owego or Candor diverse, I looked up some census tract block group numbers for Owego and the highest CTBG was 1.6% black so there really isnt a neighborhood with a larger number of african americans. What were the percentages in 1920?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
The elementary school in Owego is 3.7% black and Candor is 3.9% in its elementary. Maybe you'll see a noticeable change in a couple years like in Endicott in 1987 Charles F. Johnson was 92% white in '09 it is 74%, For JC's Elementary/Primary School it was 96% white in '89 and in '09 it is 70%, Woodrow Wilson in Binghamton was 82% white in '89 and in '09 it is 52%. So maybe Tioga county will continue the trend Broome County is seeing but I just cant bring myself to call Owego or Candor diverse, I looked up some census tract block group numbers for Owego and the highest CTBG was 1.6% black so there really isnt a neighborhood with a larger number of african americans. What were the percentages in 1920?
I don't know what the percentage was in 1920, but there is a website that use through the Onondaga County Library called Heritage Quest Online, that allows you to get such information. You can see that there was a concentration of people of African descent in that part of Owego at that time. Waverly had some as well, with some sprinkled into towns like Tioga, Richford and Spencer.

If I go back even earlier, to say 1880, you will see quite a few Black folks listed in the census(relatively speaking). Seems like quite a few came from VA. So, I'm thinking that Owego and Waverly might have had a hand in the Underground RR. What's interesting is that when I searched the 1880 census, it had 350 names come up.

For the 1910 census, there were 81. That might tell me that many might have moved to other communities. It shows that in Owego, many lived on Paige and Green with some on Erie, Prospect, Canal, Front and Fox. Since most of those streets are near the RR tracks, I wonder if some worked on the railroad.

For Broome County in the early 20th century, most black folks lived in the 1st and 7th(probably now known as Center City now) Wards of Binghamton with some sprinkled into the other wards(6th, 3rd, 9th, 4th, etc..). It seems like Sherman Place, Susquehanna St., Cypress St., Dickinson, Spruce St. and Clinton St. were where many lived during that time and probably still do. Some were in Vestal, Sanford(it looks like Deposit actually...interesting), Triangle(Whitney Point), Dickinson, Lisle and Union.

Also, www.schooldigger.com is another good website for seeing the change in school demographicsacross the country. Even if you look at school districts like Chenango Valley, Susquehanna Valley, Maine-Endwell, Vestal and even more rural school districts like Whitney Point, Windsor and Chenango Forks, you will see an increase in diversity, relative to previous years.

I know the word diverse can be loaded and relative to an area. So, in this case, I'm using it in relative terms.

I've even looked at some information from the past like say HS sports teams. For instance, I was looking at old HS sports articles from the Syracuse newspapers, old pictures and stories from people living in the area back then, that even back in the late 60's and through the 70's, there were Black athletes at schools like Candor, Chenango Valley, Vestal, Sidney, Chenango Forks and Susquehanna Valley, along with the Binghamton North and Central at the time.

If you look at old census percentages, Binghamton was 1.6% Black in 1960, 2.2% Black in 1970, 3.5% Black in 1980, 5% in 1990 and about 10% in 2000. So, I would guess it is around 12-14% now, give or take.

Lastly, with the schools you mentioned, the rest of the non White enrollment isn't just Black students, but Asian and Hispanic too. JC and Union-Endicott schools have noticeable to decent amounts of both groups and Binghamton schools have quite a few of both. Vestal also has quite a few Asian students.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Also, it seems interesting that the Plume is where the "rough" neighborhoods in Endicott are located. Hence, the home prices are probably very cheap and in the ball rolls from there. here's an article about that: Life In The Plume: IBM's Pollution Haunts a Village | syracuse.com

There are other industrial buildings in that area too. So, it probably was always a blue collar type of neighborhood with grit.

Also, with Johnson City, it seems like Floral and Grand Sts. have some nice homes. So, is there a street where the grit/rough neighborhoods end? It seems like Grand might be the line.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Also, it seems interesting that the Plume is where the "rough" neighborhoods in Endicott are located. Hence, the home prices are probably very cheap and in the ball rolls from there. here's an article about that: Life In The Plume: IBM's Pollution Haunts a Village | syracuse.com

There are other industrial buildings in that area too. So, it probably was always a blue collar type of neighborhood with grit.

Also, with Johnson City, it seems like Floral and Grand Sts. have some nice homes. So, is there a street where the grit/rough neighborhoods end? It seems like Grand might be the line.
As for Central Endicott the trend for the whole area seems to be where there are rentals(very cheap rentals at that) there is more crime. And if you look at the stats for CE 84% of the population rents, and Im sure its gone up since 2000. When IBM and E-J were booming they were throwing up multi family homes and big apartments complexes left and right. The whole village of Endicott is 60% renters which is very high, NYC is only 4% higher. Drive around CE through the neighborhoods and it is amazing the number of mailboxes a 1,800 square foot houses I've seen up to 10 on one E-J duplex. Grand Ave and Floral Ave vary quite a bit, The ends closer to Riverside Dr are nicer but St. Charles, Hudson St and Endicott Ave etc etc have had a very high increase in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York