U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 30,199 times
Smile Jamestown, New York

My husband and I are really, really interested in the Jamestown area of New York. Right now, we live in San Antonio, Texas, but we hate hot climates (long story of how we ended up here) and from researching small towns with cooler climates, we have fallen in love with Jamestown! My husband is right now working on his teaching degree, so he would be looking for a teaching job, and we have a high schooler who will be college age when we move, plus one who will be middle school, and the youngest who will still be in elementary school. We know that they will 'suffer' for a little while with the change in climate, lol.

Questions: we haven't yet visited Jamestown, although we will, and wanted to know whether, behind the sweet little old town veneer, is it a cool place to live? (Not talking climate now,okay?) Is it a safe place to live? Does it have a small town feel?

Also, I can look up job statistics but how is the job market really?

And, let's see .. he is a native Texan, but has lived all over the world (he's ex military), and I'm British, so between us we don't really have any strong Texan accents, so would we encounter any bullish attitudes? I know how Texans/southerners are about Northerners/New Yorkers .. does that reciprocate??

We really, really want to make this work, so I would appreciate any and all comments from those who might know this part of the world .. and thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 4,112,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentia View Post
My husband and I are really, really interested in the Jamestown area of New York. Right now, we live in San Antonio, Texas, but we hate hot climates (long story of how we ended up here) and from researching small towns with cooler climates, we have fallen in love with Jamestown! My husband is right now working on his teaching degree, so he would be looking for a teaching job, and we have a high schooler who will be college age when we move, plus one who will be middle school, and the youngest who will still be in elementary school. We know that they will 'suffer' for a little while with the change in climate, lol.

Questions: we haven't yet visited Jamestown, although we will, and wanted to know whether, behind the sweet little old town veneer, is it a cool place to live? (Not talking climate now,okay?) Is it a safe place to live? Does it have a small town feel?

And, let's see .. he is a native Texan, but has lived all over the world (he's ex military), and I'm British, so between us we don't really have any strong Texan accents, so would we encounter any bullish attitudes? I know how Texans/southerners are about Northerners/New Yorkers .. does that reciprocate??

We really, really want to make this work, so I would appreciate any and all comments from those who might know this part of the world .. and thank you in advance.
I lived in Jamestown briefly in the 90's---loved it! People for the most part were really nice. And with Lake Chataqua nearby---its great for boating, and dont miss the 4th of July celebration in Lakewood!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 AM

17 posts, read 50,668 times
My family and I are also contemplating a move to the Jamestown area. I'm from Florida and have had enough. I want a drastic change. I've been to Jamestown and it is beautiful there. I love the hills and countryside. The only hill we have in Florida is the dump I've been in January and it was extremely cold, but we all loved it. The cold is so much easier to deal with than the extreme heat and everything else we have here. There is so much to do outside. I have friend who live in Jamestown who have provided me with areas to check around and also this forum has suggested some areas. I'm told to stay away from Jamestown, but that Lakewood is good. I'm also told that Ashville, Panama and Harmony are nice (very rural). Also same for Cherry Creek and Sinclairville. I've been told that Dunkirk is near the college so if you don't want the college kids stay away from that area. I drove through that area and thought it to be more "flat" than around Jamestown. Anyways, hoped this helped a little and keep posted on what you find. Good luck

Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 10,737 times
Default Considering moving to Jamestown? Read this first.

My first advice is...Don't ! I was born here,am 54 years old. I moved to the Northwest U.S. in the mid 1980's and enjoyed it there. I moved back here nearly 2 years ago to care for my ailing father. I will be moving back to the northwest upon his passing.(he has a terminal illness).This area wasn't bad in the 1980's but i have noticed many changes since that time.I know many people will be upset for me saying this but the truth is this area seems to have a huge amount of residents on assistance(welfare,if you will). The employment prospects are terrible,look at the "help wanted' section of the newspaper.There appears to be a high percentage of young welfare families,single moms,and elderly persons. I have a couple of relatives still living in this area and with their help,we will critic some areas.
Lakewood,Falconer-used to be nice,becoming run down and rough.
Sinclairville,Kennedy,Stockton,Frewsburg-unless you are a "dukes of Hazzard" fan,don't bother.
Cherry Creek,Ellington,-Quaint to drive through,out in no mans land.
Dunkirk,Fredonia-Great schools,not a bad area.
Ellicottville,Forestville,Gerry,Westfield,Cassadag a,Mayville,Randolph,Silver Creek,- nice small towns!(but not much to offer in the surrounding areas).
Ashville,Panama,Harmony,Bemus Point-not bad,but not much there either.
Any further north,you have to deal with Erie county taxes(high!) and crime(Buffalo-stabbings and shootings-every day,an all around bad city)
If you MUST move here,we all recommend...Ellicottville,Forestville OR you might consider the Erie,PA area. Very nice,great shopping,events,a more "progressive" area,great restaurants,lots of jobs. It is a refreshing change from the western,ny area. If i were going to stay in this part of the country,I would move to the Erie,Pa area.
As i have traveled entensively,I would urge to you do a great deal of research and perhaps visit the area for a period of time before making a decision.I am not trying to be cruel by putting down this area but everyone i know that has remained here is not pleased with the area and stay here due to obligation or lack of resources to relocate.
My late husband had a military career,so we lived in various states,California, Washington.and Utah.I enjoyed all of these areas and found that part of the country offers so much more.My sister and her family live in Arizona and love it.She does not miss this area either and is pleased that she made a change in her life.
Best of luck, Marcie Engel

Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM

137 posts, read 171,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentia View Post

That reciprocal doesn't exist at all that I'm aware of.

Be prepared to adapt to winter weather .

From my view dealing with extreme heat is more difficult.

I don't know what the job market is in Jamestown.

The other poster commented about crime and taxes in Buffalo.

As far as the suburbs of Buffalo go taxes are the main negative. Cheektowaga , Amherst , West Seneca etc etc all have very low crime rates and excellent schools.

In fact Amherst has been named the nations safest town/city many times.

Teacher's unions here have the taxpayers by the throats and they are one of the biggest reasons the taxes are through the roof.
They are paid like doctors with every benefit known to man.

So if teaching is your occupation.......

Old 12-08-2006, 06:35 AM

338 posts, read 927,639 times
My Aunt lived in Randolph...Jamestown is an OLD town- brick streets...lots of crime, no jobs and a little run down...I didn't like to go into town unless I had to...then I went directly where I had to go and nothing else. The area is beautiful but the town is not...

Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM

121 posts, read 253,239 times
jamestown= no jobs, horrible health care. I love the place, and the area but like most places in wny, there are NO jobs. at least for most educated people.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:09 PM

140 posts, read 443,310 times
Your thoughts of moving from San Antonio to Jamestown reminds me of a friend who moved from Columbia, South Carolina, to Rochester, New York. After her first winter in Rochester(not far from Jamestown), she exclaimed: "We moved from the fires of hell to Antarctica!" Upstate New York is famous for our two seasons: winter, and almost winter. And, Jamestown is just south of Buffalo, and definitely subject to the famous "lake effect snow," meaning you get dumped on every time it snows because the winds blow off the Great Lakes, causing huge, and I mean HUGE snowfalls. If your family is into winter sports like downhill skiing, cross country skiing, etc., this winter is fine, but believe me, winter here is downright brutal, bitter cold, looooong, dark, grey, nasty, seemingly endless. I think the diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Disorder was coined in Upstate New York because of such prolonged lack of warmth and sunlight. I'd definitely recommend visiting anywhere in Upstate New York for a week or so in mid-January before you contemplate a move here. Winter, falling snow and all that look nice and romantic on television, but when you have to go out in it, shovel snow off your car to leave the driveway, buy all those winter clothes, a snow blower, snow tires, snow brushes, and seal up your house just to keep the heat in, on and on, then winter isn't so beautiful. You think only bears and other animals go into hibernation for the winter? that's what Upstate New Yorkers do when they don't absolutely have to leave the house.

And taxes!!!! New York State is famous for taxing nearly everything and anything. You'll pay taxes on almost everything except a few grocery items; taxes on clothing, shoes, anything for the house, personal care items, gasoline, all utilities, restaurants, entertainment, books, lodging, on and on and on and on..... The state has a mandated 8% sales tax. Then, on top of that, you'll pay HUGE school(school taxes increase from 3 to 7% a year) and property taxes; HUGE auto and homeowner's insurance; HUGE car registration fees; and this list of mandated fees(your husband's professional teaching license will of course be taxed). All earned and unearned income is of course taxed. Capital gains, taxed. Inheritances, taxed. New York State is famous for taxing so much that it is driving businesses and industries, as well as it's residents, out of the state into more business-, and resident-friendly states even like Pennsylvania.

I'd strongly recommend your investigating other states with fewer taxes, even like Delaware, that also has a more moderate climate.

If you are still gung-ho about New York State, I'd recommend your investigating Ithaca, New York, which consistently tops surveys of "best places to live." It's got a small town, friendly atmosphere; is safe; centrally located for transportation, shopping; is home of Cornell University and Ithaca College, with Syracuse University, Binghamton University, Colgate University, Hamilton University, Elmira College, etc., all nearby. It's a leading cultural center of the state. Is extremely environmentally conscious. Has outstanding medical care in the community with more prestigious medical care located within an hour's drive in almost any direction. Public schools are highly rated academically and in athletics. It's also located at the South end of Cayuga Lake, one of the Finger Lakes; this area is famous for wineries, water sports, winter recreation. The economy is strong and the employment picture is equally strong, with Cornell University always hiring a wide variety of staff. It's definitely a town I'd recommend over Jamestown. Here, also, the winter's are less brutal and much more moderate.

I'd definitely visit Jamestown in the winter and also check-out Ithaca...I'd be surprised if you selected Jamestown over Ithaca.

Hope this helps...questions, please let me know.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:13 PM

332 posts, read 1,101,484 times
^ Gotta go with what he said.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:54 PM

125 posts, read 363,163 times
I lived in jamestown area my whole life... i moved away 2 years ago. Sure it has beautiful countryside, almost unmatched. But LITERALLY EVERYTHING else is on the opposite spectrum. People are NOT nice, most of the time not even friendly, to get a hello at a grocery store is practically unheard of. Heat in the winter can be VERY expensive, especially in an older house. Roads are terrible, taxes are very high, schooling is poor, healthcare is deemed one of the worst areas. To be quite honest, Jamestown is an area that people on welfare move to, because NY state offers a lot of "assistance" to folks like that, so you find many people from puerto rico, and various areas moving there to live in the slum houses. The income is very very low, there are no specialty jobs, its just all basic living careers to sustain the area. No research, no culture, no nothing like that at all. If its beautiful country you are searching for, if you can live out in the boonies by yourself, and not have to commute white knuckled in the snow everyday, then i say it JUST MIGHT be an OK place for you to go, but if you are looking for a place to live, and interact with the community, and raise a family then i say NNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!! -to put something else into perspective for you, dang near everybody i went to highschool with are now hippie pot heads who do nothing but worry about the next time they are going to get high or drunk, there are many many people like this living there... i literally cannot name more than a couple people i know that are near my age that arent this way. Take some advice from me, please stay away. If you still are interested, then please, go there, and stay there for a good week, and just drive all over jamestown, i think you will change your mind for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York