Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times

Advertisements

One does not get truck traffic through Ithaca like one does in Texas. Ithaca is not really on the way to anywhere else of greater significance, and triples are prohibited statewide in NY State. There is no 65 mph zone in all of Tompkins County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
One does not get truck traffic through Ithaca like one does in Texas. Ithaca is not really on the way to anywhere else of greater significance, and triples are prohibited statewide in NY State. There is no 65 mph zone in all of Tompkins County.
Sure about that?

I always see trucks going up the hill into Triphammer. :/

And what about route 13? Trucks there. And I coulda sworn there was a 65 mph zone along it.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,243 times
Quote:
And what about route 13? Trucks there. And I coulda sworn there was a 65 mph zone along it.
But the trucks you're talking about are going *to* Ithaca (or maybe Cortland). It's an order of magnitude different than the Thruway.

Speed limit on 13 is 55 (I'm learning to drive so I'm paying attention.)

Quote:
I've never really driven in snow.
Driving in the snow would just take practice. As ki0eh says, the bus system in town is pretty good if you'd be working at Cornell, so a lot of driving can be avoided. (As you might guess from my being an adult learning to drive.) But you might want to make a friend at work and ask for tips, and then go do donuts in an empty parking lot the first time the roads get yucky to learn how to deal with sliding around.

For #2, I'd come visit for a few days if you can; you may get a better idea how it lines up with your personal line between quiet and too quiet. I've known people who see the area as being on either side of that line, so it's hard to say.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchemgrrl View Post
But the trucks you're talking about are going *to* Ithaca (or maybe Cortland). It's an order of magnitude different than the Thruway.

Speed limit on 13 is 55 (I'm learning to drive so I'm paying attention.
That's right, 55. My bad.

Maybe it always seemed like a lot of trucks to me. See I lived waaaay out there. Schuyler county, Chemung county, and Steuben county. There were NO trucks out there. Ever. XD

Well, save for hillbillies in pick-ups.

Heck I remember when hearing a car come down the road was like the highlight of the day!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM

9 posts, read 20,512 times
Default Trucks in Ithaca vs. Texas

Just to let you guys know, since we're talking about trucks so much....the city I live in is at the convergence of two interstate highways, just north of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, basically connected to it. It also has a couple of state highways running through it. PLUS....everyone here drives a gigantic SUV or pickup truck. I'm surrounded!

Ithaca just seems really, really rural and I'm not sure what to think of that...hmmmmm.....might be nice!

What I really need to do is visit it when it isn't snowy, but I may not have that luxury because they're hoping to hire someone this winter.

I'm used to being in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (about 6.5 million population).

Well, if they offer me the job, I just might have to take a leap of faith and take it, whether I've visited or not! I'm ready to get out of here! :-)

Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentex View Post
Just to let you guys know, since we're talking about trucks so much....the city I live in is at the convergence of two interstate highways, just north of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, basically connected to it. It also has a couple of state highways running through it. PLUS....everyone here drives a gigantic SUV or pickup truck. I'm surrounded!

Ithaca just seems really, really rural and I'm not sure what to think of that...hmmmmm.....might be nice!

What I really need to do is visit it when it isn't snowy, but I may not have that luxury because they're hoping to hire someone this winter.

I'm used to being in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (about 6.5 million population).

Well, if they offer me the job, I just might have to take a leap of faith and take it, whether I've visited or not! I'm ready to get out of here! :-)
6.5 million!?

Well then Ithaca will definitely seem rural! I think it's around 30,000 people or some such.

And if you think that's rural, wait until you drive through towns like Mecklenburg, Enfield or Newfield! XD

I'd say take the job!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
If you're relocating, try to visit at the worst time of year.

I still recall meeting a new roommate at Cornell who came from Nigeria. On a blisteringly hot 85 degree day in August, he asked me "Is it always this cold here?" Umm....

Old 12-14-2010, 08:11 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
6.5 million!?

Well then Ithaca will definitely seem rural! I think it's around 30,000 people or some such.

And if you think that's rural, wait until you drive through towns like Mecklenburg, Enfield or Newfield! XD

I'd say take the job!
Yeah, I believe Tompkins County has about 100,000 people and the whole metro, which includes Cortland County, is around 140,000. So, it will be a change of pace for sure. Ithaca's location does help in terms of going to other cities though(Syracuse, Rochester, Elmira and Binghamton).

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 20,512 times
Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
If you're relocating, try to visit at the worst time of year.

I still recall meeting a new roommate at Cornell who came from Nigeria. On a blisteringly hot 85 degree day in August, he asked me "Is it always this cold here?" Umm....
It probably IS best to visit at the worst time of the year. Makes sense. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Dentex,
I did a similar move, though in reverse, approx 11 yrs ago. Moved from suburbs of WNY to N Dallas. One nice thing about Ithaca is it's 1 hr to Syracuse, 3 hrs to Buffalo / Niagara Falls and a little over 4 hrs to NYC. It's actually an incredibly beautiful area of the state.
Depending on your political slant, you may find it refreshing in Ithaca compared to Denton. Ithaca might be politically comparable to Austin, though obviously much smaller.
The weather will likely take some getting used to. The summer will be awesome but the winter you may need to get your mindset right for it. Best advice I can give you is don't sit on your behind, indoors all winter. Load on the layers of clothes and get out there. Cross country skiing is great exercise and enjoyable to the point of being mentally therapeutic! (IMO of course) It's also a relatively inexpensive sport/activity. If you really want to get adventurous, try snowmobiling!
I always looked forward to winter because of my activities. Many friends dreaded winter because they were "cooped up". Winter in CNY & WNY is an adventure for sure. Why not enjoy it!
Best of luck. Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions about TX v NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York