Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,688 times

Advertisements

I purchased my house in March of 2006 and was advised to do an 80/20 mortgage to avoid PMI. My starting principle on my 30 year 80% mortgage was $269,400 with a fixed rate of 6.375% and on my 20% mortgage it was $67,598 with a variable rate which started around 9% after a year it started a slow decline to 4.5% and seems to have bottomed there(@ 2 years now)
Now almost 5 years later my principle balances are $252,000/$28,000. My credit score is high 700's (same as when I purchased). I plan on staying in home at least 10 more years. My goal of course is to pay the banks the least amount of interest possible. I plan to start shopping for refi rates, etc. very soon, and know getting the monthly payments dropped even $100-$200 will add up to a lot of $ over the years. But here are my concerns.
1st of all, I HATE the idea of starting a 30 year again(especially at age 38) and the first few years practically nothing goes toward the principle.
2nd, my wife and I expect to be doing better financially in the future. Her car loan is done in less than a year, I have 2 loans (truck/equipment) for my business with little over a year remaining.Which will free up @$2,000/month for a couple years + also expect our incomes to increase 5-10%/year. We have put @ $60,000 in home/property improvements and that puts us more than half way done with everything we want to do.
Should I try to wrap the 2 loans in one and refinance, and start 30 years again.
Or should I pay additional toward principle.(everyone says PAY THE VARIABLE OFF 1ST!) which is only @$100 in interest/month. It seems to me, putting additional toward my main mortgage would save me lots more in interest to the crook- I mean bank.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
With interest rates as low as they are...you should of re-financed already...but it's not to late yet...what I would do...is re-finance now...then I would make one extra payment a year to the bank indicating on the payment that the payment is to be applied to the mortgage...minus the taxes of course...doing this will reduce your mortgage by 8 to 10 years...another program some places offer is a bi-monthly payment...this will also reduced your mortgage by the same...

I did both on a 15 year mortgage and paid my house off in less that 10 years...so start your research and get moving before the rates go up...

Old 12-19-2010, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,688 times
Thanks Rusty, makes sense. Would you combine the variable or just refi the main mortgage ?
I just spoke to a friend in similar situation. His fixed is 6%(he refied once 5 years ago) but he said combining/he would have to pay PMI at over $200/month + with the fees to refi made it not worth it. Now he's out $400 for appraisal fee + all the wasted time.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
I would re-fi both...if you can...but I am sure the banks will require you do both...by the way...you do not need a lawyer to re-fi...just money...if you do...call your Title Company and tell them what you are doing...they will generally do it cheaper for all they have to do is update your current policy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York