Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Many of those are for sale.
It's obvious you have never been to NC. They are a supplier for trailer parks across the US. When driving down the highway in NC you will see hundreds of unoccupied new, never used trailer parks on the side of the highway. These are places where people go and pick which one they want and have it shipped to wherever they desire. These places actually outnumber actual trailer parks, they may have a name like "shady pines" but they are more or less a store. Drive thru Shelby NC (A small town of about 50K) and you will see at least 10 of these stores just on the highway. There not really a trailer park, it's a business, no one lives there, there just a big middleman between the manufacturer and the consumer.

At least half of those (probably many more) are those stores Ive talked about. When driving on the highway you actually see those more often than you see actual trailer parks.
Theirs probably a good number of people in NY state that bought there trailer in NC and had it shipped there. It's actually a pretty solid industry.
Please don't pee on my leg and tell me that it's raining.
165 Manufactured and Mobile Home Communities near Wake County, North Carolina

As I_Love pointed out the operative word here is comm-un-i-ties.

I went to the third one on the above link as the name had a nice ring and didn't mention 'community'.
Stony Brook North in North Raleigh, North Carolina | American Residential Communities (http://www.aboutarc.com/community-search/NC/NRAL/1466 - broken link)
I found the address and Google Mapped it.
3000 stony brook drive raleigh nc - Google Maps
Wouldn't you know that it's a mobile home community? Go figure.
Guess if I did that with some of the others on the list of 165 I am going to find a lot more of the same. Heck, that Shangri-La place a little further down the page sounds downright special.

Fishing some more around the original 165 link I came across a number of mobile homes for sale. Only thing is they were used. No factory leftovers, just plan old lived-in used trailers.

I enjoy the way you've accused us of being rude or whatever you deem us to be, but remember one thing -- you came here and fired the opening shot simply because you didn't like someone on this board spouting off about the number of trailer parks in your state. They didn't berate or denigrate the denizens of these south of the Mason Dixon dwellings, but you sure as heck did so to us.

The south lost. Get over it. People are free to move wherever they choose to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,529 times
Quote:
Thank you for explaining the morons NY state has brought to us. I knew something fishy was up because every time I go to NYC I meet alot of cool people, but the transplants from NY down here are mostly just wastes of space.
Most of the ppl from NY that move down here are loud, obnoxious, know it alls with psychological issues. You can't have a conversation with them without them whining or moaning about life down here, or trying to act like a billy badass.
It's funny too because the NY transplants in the NC suburbs almost all seem to be human trash, but if you go to poor neighborhoods in NC most of the NY transplants are really cool ppl, which just blows my mind, usually its the opposite, but the NY & NJ suburbanites we got for the most part are really just a pain in the a**, and almost anyone who has had the misfortune of meeting them would agree with me.

We seem to get alot of leftovers from Ohio too. I know alot of cool transplants from Ohio, but for every nice normal family there 5 or 6 of them that seem to be human trash.
Now we are going to be relocating somewhere in the Carolina's when the time comes. We are going to be with family. But it's not like what you've dealt with. All my family IS in NC/VA. My Great Grandfather 5 times back was Mayor of Richmond. Our family has been in the South since 1670. My parents came NORTH in the early 50's. No other family is here. I was born and raised by Southerners. Can't stand living here in NYS. Yeah the scenery is great in the Hudson Valley, the Adirondacks and many more places. But the taxes, costs are what's killing us.Being a Conservative too in NY-well let's say I am a oddity. It will be nice to be where things aren't hurry up and see how much money we can blow. Got a bit of time still, but it'll be awesome when we get to leave!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to get priced out of my state, and I don't even plan on living here forever anyway.
The transplants just annoy me because most of them behave like they are from a barn.

Ive found the complex is most often found in LI and NJ transplants. They feel when they come down here now is there chance to prove they are from NYC. The brooklyn and queens transplants ive met are all pretty cool. There not prone to complaining constantly or trying to make everyone feel inferior to them because there from NYC, and not as loud and obnoxious. It's the LI & NJ ones that most often personify what ive been discussing. The NJ ones are even worse than the LI ones, but the LI ones are still a wart on our societies a$$.
Hate to tell you-it goes both ways. I've run into a few ill mannered Southerner too in 45 years. Like my Mom always said-just because your a woman-doesn't make you a lady. Manners come from up bringing. I watched a Southern Guy punch his wife in the face-so don't tell me it's just Northerners who've got the market on it.

And by the way-to the City people who come north bound to go to the Country-your attitudes up here towards locals aren't much better when coming to Dutchess. We've dealt with some real doozies in the last couple of years. And open your eyes-there are mobile homes even in NYS-gasp! So what? If it give someone a roof over their heads and a home-it's a home. It's how we bought our first place at 21 &23 when we first married-it was on our OWN half acre-NOT a park. No rent and a pool too. Better than renting a overpriced apartment with a slumlord.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
I'm not going to get priced out of my state, and I don't even plan on living here forever anyway.
The transplants just annoy me because most of them behave like they are from a barn.

Ive found the complex is most often found in LI and NJ transplants. They feel when they come down here now is there chance to prove they are from NYC. The brooklyn and queens transplants ive met are all pretty cool. There not prone to complaining constantly or trying to make everyone feel inferior to them because there from NYC, and not as loud and obnoxious. It's the LI & NJ ones that most often personify what ive been discussing. The NJ ones are even worse than the LI ones, but the LI ones are still a wart on our societies a$$.
I will not be transplanting my loud and obnoxious butt to NC. As a matter of fact, I don't even transplant my butt on the NC City-Data forum! How do you like that? You ever see me there bothering people about trailer homes? NO! I am not a NC hater ... just not interested in it. Visited an old friend there and I am glad she's happy. For those who like it, fine, that's your thing. The only reason I went into NC trailer home mania is because someone (a LI transplant to NC) said Suffolk County on Long Island had LOTS of trailer parks. So I investigated the number of trailer parks on Long Island vs. North Carolina and then it took on a life of its own ... Me and Mikey have wrassled off and on while posting on C-D, so he doesn't get all het up and outraged when I go to the max. He knows I'm not dead serious. Anyway, that ingrate traitor tarheel transplant attacked us first on Long Island on our own board (this thread has since been moved to general NY)! It's not like I went to the NC City-Data and let loose on everyone there with trailer home mania!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Hate to tell you-it goes both ways. I've run into a few ill mannered Southerner too in 45 years. Like my Mom always said-just because your a woman-doesn't make you a lady. Manners come from up bringing. I watched a Southern Guy punch his wife in the face-so don't tell me it's just Northerners who've got the market on it.

And by the way-to the City people who come north bound to go to the Country-your attitudes up here towards locals aren't much better when coming to Dutchess. We've dealt with some real doozies in the last couple of years. And open your eyes-there are mobile homes even in NYS-gasp! So what? If it give someone a roof over their heads and a home-it's a home. It's how we bought our first place at 21 &23 when we first married-it was on our OWN half acre-NOT a park. No rent and a pool too. Better than renting a overpriced apartment with a slumlord.
No kidding. Of course they are rampant upstate. If not where would all the poor people up there live? I don't think you have many housing projects in the rural areas. I really don't care how many trailer homes are upstate anyway. My whole argument was about Long Island and how many we don't have.

Personally, I don't think they should be even legal for human beings to live in permanently year-round. Look what happens to them in tornadoes, hurricanes, floods. But, as Jesus said, "the poor will always be with us," so I suppose trailer homes are here to stay in some parts of NY.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Please don't pee on my leg and tell me that it's raining.
165 Manufactured and Mobile Home Communities near Wake County, North Carolina

As I_Love pointed out the operative word here is comm-un-i-ties.

I went to the third one on the above link as the name had a nice ring and didn't mention 'community'.
Stony Brook North in North Raleigh, North Carolina | American Residential Communities (http://www.aboutarc.com/community-search/NC/NRAL/1466 - broken link)
I found the address and Google Mapped it.
3000 stony brook drive raleigh nc - Google Maps
Wouldn't you know that it's a mobile home community? Go figure.
Guess if I did that with some of the others on the list of 165 I am going to find a lot more of the same. Heck, that Shangri-La place a little further down the page sounds downright special.

Fishing some more around the original 165 link I came across a number of mobile homes for sale. Only thing is they were used. No factory leftovers, just plan old lived-in used trailers.

I enjoy the way you've accused us of being rude or whatever you deem us to be, but remember one thing -- you came here and fired the opening shot simply because you didn't like someone on this board spouting off about the number of trailer parks in your state. They didn't berate or denigrate the denizens of these south of the Mason Dixon dwellings, but you sure as heck did so to us.

The south lost. Get over it. People are free to move wherever they choose to.
Yay! The ultimate shut-down!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No kidding. Of course they are rampant upstate. If not where would all the poor people up there live? I don't think you have many housing projects in the rural areas. I really don't care how many trailer homes are upstate anyway. My whole argument was about Long Island and how many we don't have.

Personally, I don't think they should be even legal for human beings to live in permanently year-round. Look what happens to them in tornadoes, hurricanes, floods. But, as Jesus said, "the poor will always be with us," so I suppose trailer homes are here to stay in some parts of NY.
Not for nothing-but that comes off a bit like being a snob. As a 21 &23 year old-we decided to purchase land AND a mobile home. 1/2 acre. None of our friends were able to do that. Being a home owner and paying taxes was a lot better than sending the landlord to Florida every winter-we were able to go instead. Our mortgage on both was a whopping $390 for 10 years-we sold in 4 and built a house. So it gave us a good stepping stone. We paid off our house last year-in 18 years. So I am debt free. None of my friends can say that. And if you think Dutchess County is where all the poor people live-you've not left your home for a while I'd say. We've got so many LI transplants here-why? Because they couldn't afford to live there anymore-but still have to commute to their jobs. I'd rather be debt free and living comfortably than working my butt to the bone in that rat race of Westchester, NYC or LI anyday.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Not for nothing-but that comes off a bit like being a snob. As a 21 &23 year old-we decided to purchase land AND a mobile home. 1/2 acre. None of our friends were able to do that. Being a home owner and paying taxes was a lot better than sending the landlord to Florida every winter-we were able to go instead. Our mortgage on both was a whopping $390 for 10 years-we sold in 4 and built a house. So it gave us a good stepping stone. We paid off our house last year-in 18 years. So I am debt free. None of my friends can say that. And if you think Dutchess County is where all the poor people live-you've not left your home for a while I'd say. We've got so many LI transplants here-why? Because they couldn't afford to live there anymore-but still have to commute to their jobs. I'd rather be debt free and living comfortably than working my butt to the bone in that rat race of Westchester, NYC or LI anyday.
That's not possible on Long Island. We aren't a trailer home society here! That was all I was trying to point out to MikeyKid when he tried to pass it off as common in Suffolk.

I freely admit I don't know anything about Dutchess County, but that does not make me an agoraphobic. Would you like to hear about my travels to Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc., etc.? Frankly, I am not interested in knowing "which" of the counties upstate have "which" kind of people and how much money they earn, etc. It's a different world from downstate is all I can say. I will stay downstate and will not invade your area like the other LI transplants! Do we have a deal?

Since you stated none of your friends are "debt free," you know you are the exception to the rule because even upstate's lower cost of living is no panacea to the ills of spending more than one earns. So why do you assume in the next breath that "everyone" in Westchester, NYC or LI is in financial trouble? That makes no sense.

Trailer life is a rarity for Long Island and anyone who tells me it is commonplace with "lots of trailer parks in Suffolk," like Mikey did, will be corrected. Sorry if it offends anyone who is a fan of trailer home living.

For some people in this world, living in a trailer would be a God-send. I have seen slums in the third world where people have no electricity and no running water. People who line up for hours to pay 2 rupees to use a toilet and wash up OR who just urinate and deficate in the streets while IN THE SAME CITY a man built the most expensive house in the world (cost $1 billion). Yes, in the 21st century, this happens. So the perspective of those people towards living in trailer homes would be quite different than mine and trailer homes would be welcome. (Except the rich and the politicians won't let them have trailer homes because they are focused on driving the poor away and out of the slums so the property the slums stand on can be used for more development for the wealthy.)

I am glad you are happy where you are. That's all that should matter. I would advise you to enjoy what you have instead of letting other people's opinions rattle you so much.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's not possible on Long Island. We aren't a trailer home society here! That was all I was trying to point out to MikeyKid when he tried to pass it off as common in Suffolk.

I freely admit I don't know anything about Dutchess County, but that does not make me an agoraphobic. Would you like to hear about my travels to Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc., etc.? Frankly, I am not interested in knowing "which" of the counties upstate have "which" kind of people and how much money they earn, etc. It's a different world from downstate is all I can say. I will stay downstate and will not invade your area like the other LI transplants! Do we have a deal?

Since you stated none of your friends are "debt free," you know you are the exception to the rule because even upstate's lower cost of living is no panacea to the ills of spending more than one earns. So why do you assume in the next breath that "everyone" in Westchester, NYC or LI is in financial trouble? That makes no sense.

Trailer life is a rarity for Long Island and anyone who tells me it is commonplace with "lots of trailer parks in Suffolk," like Mikey did, will be corrected. Sorry if it offends anyone who is a fan of trailer home living.

For some people in this world, living in a trailer would be a God-send. I have seen slums in the third world where people have no electricity and no running water. People who line up for hours to pay 2 rupees to use a toilet and wash up OR who just urinate and deficate in the streets while IN THE SAME CITY a man built the most expensive house in the world (cost $1 billion). Yes, in the 21st century, this happens. So the perspective of those people towards living in trailer homes would be quite different than mine and trailer homes would be welcome. (Except the rich and the politicians won't let them have trailer homes because they are focused on driving the poor away and out of the slums so the property the slums stand on can be used for more development for the wealthy.)

I am glad you are happy where you are. That's all that should matter. I would advise you to enjoy what you have instead of letting other people's opinions rattle you so much.
It doesn't rattle me-but shows to me why there is such arrogance of people who move here from LI and think they are better than all of us. We've traveled too-so none of what you said is any surprise-especially my spouse who was in the Army and stationed in Europe for 2 years.

I know quite a few transplants who came here because they couldn't afford the standard of living from LI-who in their right mind would pay that type of money willing ever year for those high taxes is beyond me anyway. The owner of the company I work for lives in Huntington and travels here to run his place a few days a week. Why? It's cheaper to run a business here than there. But his attitude is pathetic-when we eat lunch at work because we live up this way-he calls us grazing like cows. Nasty man-can't wait to get away from that mentality.

I guess you've not seen to seen the upscale parks-they are nicer than the average home on LI Check these out-http://realestate.msn.com//slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=25614001

And the reason we are debt free-we didn't out live our means. Simple. Pay cash-extra mortgage payments-don't buy a car unless by cash. Very easy-I grew up with parents who grew up in the Depression. Spend wisely, save your money. That's how we got ahead. But the median income to live here now is 83K. No chump change at all-our costs of living aren't far behind yours truth be told.

Funny-I'd been wanting to hit LI for a couple of campgrounds out in the far end to enjoy the beaches. Someday I'll bring my camper down that way.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
It doesn't rattle me-but shows to me why there is such arrogance of people who move here from LI and think they are better than all of us. We've traveled too-so none of what you said is any surprise-especially my spouse who was in the Army and stationed in Europe for 2 years.

I know quite a few transplants who came here because they couldn't afford the standard of living from LI-who in their right mind would pay that type of money willing ever year for those high taxes is beyond me anyway. The owner of the company I work for lives in Huntington and travels here to run his place a few days a week. Why? It's cheaper to run a business here than there. But his attitude is pathetic-when we eat lunch at work because we live up this way-he calls us grazing like cows. Nasty man-can't wait to get away from that mentality.

I guess you've not seen to seen the upscale parks-they are nicer than the average home on LI Check these out-http://realestate.msn.com//slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=25614001

And the reason we are debt free-we didn't out live our means. Simple. Pay cash-extra mortgage payments-don't buy a car unless by cash. Very easy-I grew up with parents who grew up in the Depression. Spend wisely, save your money. That's how we got ahead. But the median income to live here now is 83K. No chump change at all-our costs of living aren't far behind yours truth be told.

Funny-I'd been wanting to hit LI for a couple of campgrounds out in the far end to enjoy the beaches. Someday I'll bring my camper down that way.
Well, I can see why you don't like Long Islanders besides transplants ... your annoying boss!

"Grazing like cows" ... didn't you mention that in another thread about a boss who hires fat people and then harasses them for being fat ... ? And I just saw another post about the winter weather you made which included this crazy boss. I hope 2011 brings you a new and better job and less annoying boss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York