Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, I can see why you don't like Long Islanders besides transplants ... your annoying boss!

"Grazing like cows" ... didn't you mention that in another thread about a boss who hires fat people and then harasses them for being fat ... ? And I just saw another post about the winter weather you made which included this crazy boss. I hope 2011 brings you a new and better job and less annoying boss!
He's a HUGE part of why I am not a fan. LOL I've got good friends who are from LI-but they are normal-this guy is a lose cannon and beyond. Thanks for the good wishes-I do hope I find something better soon.

And come up to Dutchess and the Hudson Valley sometime-there's the historic sites, the Walkway over the Hudson with views that are very impressive. Mohonk Mountain House is a wonderful place to stay-they have a website-check them out and our area. It'll surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Hate to tell you-it goes both ways. I've run into a few ill mannered Southerner too in 45 years. Like my Mom always said-just because your a woman-doesn't make you a lady. Manners come from up bringing. I watched a Southern Guy punch his wife in the face-so don't tell me it's just Northerners who've got the market on it.

And by the way-to the City people who come north bound to go to the Country-your attitudes up here towards locals aren't much better when coming to Dutchess. We've dealt with some real doozies in the last couple of years. And open your eyes-there are mobile homes even in NYS-gasp! So what? If it give someone a roof over their heads and a home-it's a home. It's how we bought our first place at 21 &23 when we first married-it was on our OWN half acre-NOT a park. No rent and a pool too. Better than renting a overpriced apartment with a slumlord.
Your explaining one or 2 situations.
In HS I was in one class where out of 25 ppl in there only 5 were not from NJ or LI. There were 1 or 2 really cool ones, but the rest thought they owned the world and complained non stop like they all were on permanent periods.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM

51 posts, read 109,551 times
Here's my trailer- in my 28 acre "park":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Richiemagoo/SANY0062.jpg (broken link)

My neighbor paying me a visit:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Richiemagoo/Boyd.jpg (broken link)

My lawn mowers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Richiemagoo/IMG_1841_1_2_1.jpg (broken link)

....and it costs me far less than living in a studio apartment on Lawn Guyland!

Oh...and had to add this: The trailer on the right is one I recentluy bought for my 85 year-old mother- a home of her own...for $7,000.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Richiemagoo/SANY1086.jpg (broken link)

Not only is this the lifestyle I always wanted....but the fact that everything here is cheap enough that I can pay cash for everything, and don't have to live with ANY debt, to me, is priceless!

Last edited by Ronkonkomoan; 01-07-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
^^^
So do you have a passel of kids to inherit that?

Just curious, how did you end up there from Lawn Guyland anyway?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

51 posts, read 109,551 times
Quote:
^^^
So do you have a passel of kids to inherit that?

Just curious, how did you end up there from Lawn Guyland anyway?
Ahahaha!!! No kids...lifelong bachelor! (Scared all the girls off when I dated on LI, when I'd mention my plans for the future. Actually had one girl tell me that I "Wasn't living in the real world" to want such a lifestyle...and how wonderful she thought it was to live her whole life with a car payment!)

How? Well...I just searched around for some places where land is cheap...taxes low....government small...basically, the exact opposite of what LI has become. Took a few road trips years ago to investigate the area....found this acreage for $30K....and viola[sic]!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
I keep track of my blood pressure due to having borderline hypertension and without adjustments to diet or taking medication my systolic blood pressure dropped on average about 9 points two weeks after leaving NY.

So basically by moving I no longer have borderline high blood pressure since its back in the normal range now! Still gotta watch my sodium though, argh.

Youz guys stuck in that rat race really have no idea what life is like out of that congested tax-abyss. However, I urge you all to stay, because nothing seems to ruin quality of life in a good area faster than a large influx of New Yorkers.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I keep track of my blood pressure due to having borderline hypertension and without adjustments to diet or taking medication my systolic blood pressure dropped on average about 9 points two weeks after leaving NY.

So basically by moving I no longer have borderline high blood pressure since its back in the normal range now! Still gotta watch my sodium though, argh.

Youz guys stuck in that rat race really have no idea what life is like out of that congested tax-abyss. However, I urge you all to stay, because nothing seems to ruin quality of life in a good area faster than a large influx of New Yorkers.
You do know that much of NY is not in a rat race mode and has areas with a cost of living that is on par with many Southern metros, even with the taxes. Unemployment rates are lower in many NY metros than most as well. So, there is more to NY State than NYC or Downstate NY.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Ahhh don't get so excited to diss NY (although there are mountains upstate that could handle your order)!

Next time Lockup has a show set in an Oregon prison, would you like me to send you an email?

(LOL. J/K. Not posted in hostile spirit, because I "know" GG for anyone wondering.)
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of Mt. Rushmore, as sort of a postscript. However, Stone Mountain, in Georgia, would be exceptionally appropriate, considering current trends there.

I didn't mean to diss NY. In fact, if we could have afforded it, we would have bought in Southampton, instead of out here.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of Mt. Rushmore, as sort of a postscript. However, Stone Mountain, in Georgia, would be exceptionally appropriate, considering current trends there.

I didn't mean to diss NY. In fact, if we could have afforded it, we would have bought in Southampton, instead of out here.
Prices have gone down somewhat ... maybe you can afford it now!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do know that much of NY is not in a rat race mode and has areas with a cost of living that is on par with many Southern metros, even with the taxes.
Of course the rest of the state isn't in rat-race mode; everyone is unemployed, retired, on welfare, or working in/incarcerated in a prison once you get past Dutchess/Orange depending on your side of the Hudson.

Quote:
Unemployment rates are lower in many NY metros than most as well. So, there is more to NY State than NYC or Downstate NY.
But no one cares about the other 97% of the state it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York