Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I lived in NY state for my whole life except for 5 years and I have never once been to NYC. Theres more to ny than NYC. My husband is from florida and loves it here in Rochester. Hes actually happy with his life for once.
Great point and I think people miss that point......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
depends on your field. Some of the health-related fields have similar pay in different states.
but again the cost of living in say Upstate NY is on par with many Southern states even as they are now and with the high RATE(key word) of taxes. Heck, some, if not most, Upstate NY metros might actually a lower overall COL than many Southern metros.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Most people leaving NY are leaving NYC. Mainly because living there is hell says this country boy.

Upstate NY is fairly cheap to live in. It's incredibly rural and pleasant. Most of the "people in NY are nasty" stereotype comes from tourists meeting the city folk rather than down to earth country folk.

New York has all four seasons, hills and mountains, huge lakes, even lowland swamps. What's not to love? Oh yeah... NYC. :P

I left because of a bad situation. But I'm fixing to go back with some money behind me. And heck, a native Louisiana boy is coming with me! NY ain't all that bad.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
but again the cost of living in say Upstate NY is on par with many Southern states even as they are now and with the high RATE(key word) of taxes. Heck, some, if not most, Upstate NY metros might actually a lower overall COL than many Southern metros.
Depends on the metro. In many parts of FL, the collapse in the housing bubble has brought affordability to all kinds of areas.

Best thing to do is compare salaries and look at how much houses are going for now. My experience in living in central FL and CNY was that housing was cheaper in CNY (before the housing crash happened in FL), but for nearly everything else except milk and produce, things were more expensive. For example, I save at least 20-30 cents/gallon in FL when I fill up my car. When I go to the mall, I pay a 6.5% sales tax in FL, vs >8% in NY.

NY has some of the highest kwH prices for electricity in the country, along with high property, sales and income taxes.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
Quote:
Depends on the metro. In many parts of FL, the collapse in the housing bubble has brought affordability to all kinds of areas.

Best thing to do is compare salaries and look at how much houses are going for now. My experience in living in central FL and CNY was that housing was cheaper in CNY (before the housing crash happened in FL), but for nearly everything else except milk and produce, things were more expensive. For example, I save at least 20-30 cents/gallon in FL when I fill up my car. When I go to the mall, I pay a 6.5% sales tax in FL, vs >8% in NY.

NY has some of the highest kwH prices for electricity in the country, along with high property, sales and income taxes.
I have found that in Florida I had to shop at 6 different stores to save money on my groceries. If i just shopped at publix i would walk out with only 6 bags of groceries and it would cost me $100.00. I shop at wegmans here and I walk out with a whole cart full for that price..

Not if you live in a village that has its own municipal. My parents only pay .035 per KwH.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I have found that in Florida I had to shop at 6 different stores to save money on my groceries. If i just shopped at publix i would walk out with only 6 bags of groceries and it would cost me $100.00. I shop at wegmans here and I walk out with a whole cart full for that price..

Not if you live in a village that has its own municipal. My parents only pay .035 per KwH.
Also, the sprawl of Southern cities kind of offset the higher gas prices. Meaning things are more spread out versus getting around Upstate NY metros can take no more than 20-30 minutes tops.

Also, in the summer, electricity use in the South can be just as bad as it is up here in the winter. Even that depends, as cheerbaby mentioned, places like Fairport, Solvay, Philadelphia(near Watertown), Tupper Lake and other Upstate NY communities have very cheap electricity rates due to this: New York Power Authority: About Us

New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

So, even that can vary in NY as well. Taxes also vary by town and people are getting RATE confused with amount. Meaning, the rate is going to be high due to more affordable properties. Incomes tend to be higher in NY as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Also, the sprawl of Southern cities kind of offset the higher gas prices. Meaning things are more spread out versus getting around Upstate NY metros can take no more than 20-30 minutes tops.
Maybe in the summer Good luck traveling I-81 and 481 during some of those heavy winter storms.

The syracuse metro in CNY has plenty of sprawl. Where is the nearest target? Fayetville, a good 8 miles or so from downtown. Where is the biggest concentration of big-box stores? Clay, several miles outside the metro. In fact, clay has sprawl written all over it, as that is where people have fled to have suburban living outside of syracuse.

You need a car to get around syracuse just as you would in most southern metros. In fact, I would argue that depending on where you live in Orlando or Tampa, you could conceivably use your car less down there than in Syracuse, secondary to the higher population density and commercial development.

Quote:
Depends on the groceries. Milk is the cheapest in upstate NY, cheaper than anywhere else I've ever seen in the country (so cheap in fact, I've heard that upstate NY farmers have been losing money recently). Produce is roughly similar, or slightly more expensive in FL.

Outside of that though, regular staples, pasta, frozen foods etc. seem to be about the same.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe in the summer Good luck traveling I-81 and 481 during some of those heavy winter storms.

The syracuse metro in CNY has plenty of sprawl. Where is the nearest target? Fayetville, a good 8 miles or so from downtown. Where is the biggest concentration of big-box stores? Clay, several miles outside the metro. In fact, clay has sprawl written all over it, as that is where people have fled to have suburban living outside of syracuse.

You need a car to get around syracuse just as you would in most southern metros. In fact, I would argue that depending on where you live in Orlando or Tampa, you could conceivably use your car less down there than in Syracuse, secondary to the higher population density and commercial development.

Depends on the groceries. Milk is the cheapest in upstate NY, cheaper than anywhere else I've ever seen in the country (so cheap in fact, I've heard that upstate NY farmers have been losing money recently). Produce is roughly similar, or slightly more expensive in FL.

Outside of that though, regular staples, pasta, frozen foods etc. seem to be about the same.
You seem to forget that the sprawl in the Syracuse is minimal in comparison, as you can get to both of those locations within 10-15 minutes of Downtown Syracuse. While the Northern suburbs of Syracuse have sprawl, if you look at a county map, the Northern suburbs covers a smaller area versus the other suburban areas and much of the development is also for Oswego County. CENTRO also has recently been named one of the best transit systems for metros of it's size. So, decent public transportation is available.

Also, there is plenty of shopping on Erie Boulevard, which runs from Syracuse's East Side into DeWitt. There's also shopping on West Genesee Street from the Syracuse/Solvay border into Camillus. You also have some shopping right next to the city of syracuse with Shop City on the city's North Side and into Lyncourt(town of Salina). There's also plenty of mom and pop stores in the city of Syracuse and in many of the villages in the area. Even the Town Centre at Fayetteville is actually in the village of Fayetteville. So, even in the suburbs in NY, you have areas of high/higher density.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-27-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You seem to forget that the sprawl in the Syracuse is minimal in comparison, as you can get to both of those locations within 10-15 minutes of Downtown Syracuse. While the Northern suburbs of Syracuse have sprawl, if you look at a county map, the Northern suburbs covers a smaller area versus the other suburban areas and much of the development is also for Oswego County. CENTRO also has recently been named one of the best transit systems for metros of it's size. So, decent public transportation is available.

Also, there is plenty of shopping on Erie Boulevard, which runs from Syracuse's East Side into DeWitt. There's also shopping on West Genesee Street from the Syracuse/Solvay border into Camillus. You also have some shopping right next to the city of syracuse with Shop City on the city's North Side and into Lyncourt(town of Salina). There's also plenty of mom and pop stores in the city of Syracuse and in many of the villages in the area. Even the Town Centre at Fayetteville is actually in the village of Fayetteville. So, even in the suburbs in NY, you have areas of high/higher density.
How many grocery stores are in downtown syracuse? As far as I know, you have to go to erie blvd to get to an ALDI or price chopper. If you live on the south side, the P&C closed a year ago, and so there is no major grocery store there either.

Most of the stores are in the sprawl of places like fayetteville or clay, or along erie blvd. You pretty much need a car to get anywhere there, unlike say downtown Orlando where there is a publix within walking distance of the downtown area.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
How many grocery stores are in downtown syracuse? As far as I know, you have to go to erie blvd to get to an ALDI or price chopper. If you live on the south side, the P&C closed a year ago, and so there is no major grocery store there either.

Most of the stores are in the sprawl of places like fayetteville or clay, or along erie blvd. You pretty much need a car to get anywhere there, unlike say downtown Orlando where there is a publix within walking distance of the downtown area.
There's a Green Hills Farms in Nedrow, which is right down South Salina Street and there are grocery stores in Inner city neighborhoods on the North, West and East Sides of town. There is a stores supposedly in the works for the South Side on South Ave. There's also supposed to be a grocery store Downtown in the renovated Dey's Building. There's a grocery store on Pond St. on the North Side(Wegmans), a Tops in the Shop City Plaza, there's a Wegmans on James St. just inside the village of East Syracuse, there's a grocery store in Onondaga Hill off of South Ave., there's a Tops in the Nottingham Plaza area and smaller grocery stores within or right next to the city of Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York