Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,078,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Chill, dude.

Everyone is prejudiced to some degree. We all prejudge people. You have to, to not prejudge someone is to deny your basic human nature. But not everyone is racist.

If I see someone with the words "I kill people" tattooed on their forehead, black or white, I will prejudge that person to be a scumbag. I don't care what their color or race is. There's a difference.
Yes and there is a difference between the two.

No one is denying the crime or even the economic decline, but there are still some liveable neighborhoods in Elmira. Much of the crime is lifestyle based and is hardly random. Schools are so-so and there are private school options. I've been there and I work with a guy that grew up there and went to Southside High. He still has family in the area and just moved up here a couple of years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,127,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Man, you are getting too emotional about this.

Anyway, those neighborhoods that I mentioned are all within the city limits of those cities and are not suburbs. Hence the reason I said to look them up.

As for Elmira, I know what makes up the metro area. My point is that Elmira has an influence beyond Chemung County in the ways I mentioned. I never said that any of those communities are suburbs, but I bet that if you asked people in surrounding counties what TV stations they watch, where do they shop at, where do. Some of them work or go for entertainment, many will say Elmira or immediate communities like Horseheads, Big Flats or Elmira Heights.

Also, said anything about being PC or racist? I just answered your question and added some input. How dare I!

As for Queens, it's actually where the median household income is higher than that of Whites. Windsor CT is also similar in that regard and Prince George's County has the highest Black median household income, if I'm not mistaken. There are other examples as well.
I'll adress your last part first, "As far as Queens, it's actually where the median household income is higher than that of whites."

I agree to your statement. And actually, that is what I was going to say. Truthfully, I think I'm having memory issues.

I guess you didn't get to overboard with the P.C sh t or call me a racist. But you sort of implied it by going on about things I already knew, making me feel like you were headed down that old rusty path. And if that was the case, I was trying to nip it in the bud right away. But alot of people either say their views ignorantly and harshly and then racism becomes an issue. Then there are those that are fake/politically correct to the point of annoyance. Most people aren't that dumb. We're well aware that there is still racism, but because someone points out a reality from another ethnicity not of their own, most on here get labeled that quickly. We're so sensitive today as a society. I miss the days when you could just say what is what without having to apologize. Since when did we begin to have to apologize because of the truth. And this does not apply with you.

I apologize if I misread your intentions. I've kind of had a long day and perhaps a bit overly touchy. I was born in upstate, but moved away early on. Then we came back. I'm not from Elmira, so I was truly not taking a homer stance on it. I happened to have worked in Corning for two years and chose to live in Elmira. Don't ask me why, (ok a women). Corning is pretty much seriously like Mayberry. Yeah, they had a murder a few weeks back by two people from Elmira. Elmira and Corning are really different cities. Come to Elmira after five oclock or before and just drive around all day. Go on a day that's not raining too. Elmira doesn't have the density of larger cities. But it's pretty drug filled and ghetto. Funny thing is you say people over do it about it, but they got a rep for a reason. People from Corning, Waverly, Sayre, Painted post all the way to Bath go there for drugs. It serves a lot of the community in that way, but that's about it. You'll see alot of PA licensce plates. But that's not from out of towners, that's from Sayre area residents.

I don't have nothing against you. It wasn't some nasty argument. We both kept it civil enough. I don't even usually get this bent out of shape. But I read your threads alot because I like to find out about Syracuse alot. But when you put Elmira in the Corning category, as well as Auburn and some other places. I felt like you haven't been there in a long time. Because Elmira is not like those other cities. Like I said earlier, It's more like Schenectedy and Utica but smaller.

Take care,

Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM

I would doubt people from the surrounding area getting drugs there, as it is the closest metro city center for them. That also can be an example of its influence as well, but in a negative way. That's also another reason why I consider things like that in terms of crime, as people from surrounding communities can indirectly contribute to the crime in a city center, big or small.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I would doubt people from the surrounding area getting drugs there, as it is the closest metro city center for them. That also can be an example of its influence as well, but in a negative way. That's also another reason why I consider things like that in terms of crime, as people from surrounding communities can indirectly contribute to the crime in a city center, big or small.

Theres truth to that. But you would have to spend a little time in Elmira to get it. It is drug crazy. In every store, everyone is buying blunts. Everyone. Or so it seems. It's not a stretch to have five or six crack houses in one small block. Dealers riding on bikes dealing. It's not just the eastside. You have Hawthorne court-drug den. Two murders and multiple stabbings and shootings in two years there. You have streets like Oak, where almost every block up the street there are three or four dealers at any given time standing out there. Then there's Spaulding street area on the southside(and these are neighborhoods-not just streets. ) filled with drugs and dealers. Any drug you can think of. Crack is the biggest one, but having said that, you don't know too many people that don't smoke weed. Franklin street is filled with dealers. West side, this is how I know you haven't been to Elmira in a long time. I read from you where you said the west side was a good side. Not in a long time. Crack city from grey to first all the way up to fourth. Second street to fourth you'll see prostitutes. On the west side around the college is ghetto. In between washington and up to Hawthorne court it gets better. This is all just the northsie. And I've pretty much kept out everywhere on the east side. You can just go to that side and you wouldn't have to wonder what streets to go down. Actually, I can't say that Lake alone doesn't look that bad anymore. It's more the streets inbetween Lake and Oak. Oak aint no joke. No seriously, Oak is pretty rough.

On the southside you have Spaulding street area (decent size area). You have near Riverview projects. housing projects that used to sell drugs night and day at a store called stop and go until they put a cop camera up. They have about seven cameras in what were some pretty high open air market areas. And they want to put several more in. That might be why the crime has reduced this year too. But getting back to the southside you have the area from south main up hudson past fulton and over to the left towards Pudgies pizza. That area used to be decent now it's all drugs. Heck, when I lived there they had crack and heroin dealers from NYC living in luxury homes in west Elmira. No area is untouched, and that's probably the case for alot of cities that are heavily drugged out. People were talking about how the Heights and Horseheads is getting worse. But I never saw that. Not like Elmira. Now that's where I would say someone is really exaggerating. I guess my point is that you cannot get an accurate picture of a city until you really spend some time there. I've taken day trips many times in the last few years to places like Jamestown, Auburn, Ithaca, Schenectedy, Albany, Buff, Rochester pretty much every city in NY except Watertown.

I spent more than a day in each of those cities (some years) so I felt like I got a good understanding of how those cities were. I would put Elmira once again with schenectedy and Utica. It really reminded me alot of those cities. Auburn, Ithaca, Corning, etc didn't seem like Elmira at all. Elmira, Utica and Schenectedy per population felt like they were twice as bad as the next closest which would be Auburn. Jamestown wasn't even as bad as Auburn. Corning is freaking Mayberry and probably always will. Ithaca has a large Asian population and the thousands of college students during the year as well as all their Tiva/Burkenstock wearing hippies. Ithaca reminds me of no other city in upstate NY.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Elmira and Binghamton have always had people from NYC and bigger Upstate cities involved in the drug game, but it is depends on one's lifestyle. Drugs are everywhere and from what I've seen and know about Elmira, crime is not random there. Like the saying goes, "Don't start none and there will be none".

Also, cities in Upstate NY have some varying degree of grit and have for a long time due to the once/current blue collar vibe of the cities. Ithaca is probably the exception, but it wasn't always that way.

Auburn is a city I know well and it also has some abandoned/empty buildings for sale, similar to Elmira, that could be put to good use. Unfortunately, there's too much of a NIMBY mindset with some people in these cities. It(Auburn) isn't too bad outside of that, even with the prison. I know that city very well due to my wife working there.

Watertown is similar as well and historically, the northern half is more working class and the southern half, especially around Washington Street, is more white collar. I was stationed at Fort Drum for a few years and know that city well.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM

197 posts, read 634,073 times
Elmira is the White trash capital of new york state.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
It is? Some might say other towns/cities.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post

I hate to admit, but there is alot of truth to that. Poverty in Elmira doesn't just effect minorities. You will see just as many or more non working, welfare bums in the Elmira area that are white. But Elmira is infamous for being a city with a lot of mixed couples. Probably due to the fact that the poor whites live among the poor blacks and poor Puerto Ricans. That's why there is alot of mixing among the white people and minorites. There are many instances where you will see more white girls strollling a bi-racial baby, than white girls with a white kid. Poverty has hit every ethinicity in Elmira pretty hard. The whole world is sort of blending in, so maybe cities like Elmira are just ahead of the curve. I don't mind it. Nobody stares at anyone in bi-racial relationships. Everyone black and white seem to get along fine. I don't think you will go to another city maybe in the country (only because per population rate Elmira is small) that you will see people of all races hanging out. There isn't alot of predjudice here. If your driving around almost every car has a good mix of people. Maybe two whites and three blacks or visa versa. There was a man who came from NYC wrote a book and dubbed it Zebra city. He couldn't believe as a community how there was almost no racial tensions considering the high mix of minorities. He couldn't believe that different ethnicities could live side by side like that without any tension. He was used to a high degree of segregation.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM

With Elmira, it is really just a Black and White city with a small Hispanic population(maybe 3%). So, economics play a big part in how the people interact. Its history also plays a big part as it was a big Underground Railroad stop.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
With Elmira, it is really just a Black and White city with a small Hispanic population(maybe 3%). So, economics play a big part in how the people interact. Its history also plays a big part as it was a big Underground Railroad stop.

Exactly, it is basically a black and white city. Never had a whole lot of hispanics, however, slowly we seem to be getting more of them. which isn't a bad thing. I'm all for diversity, that's why I don't care too much for Corning. Corning really is the modern day Mayberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York