U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
 
269 posts, read 382,086 times
Reputation: 155

Advertisements

Hi everyone...we're still waiting for my husband's official job offer, but his interview last week went well and we will be moving in about three weeks.

We are going to have to rent for awhile before we buy. We do NOT want to rent in a ghetto or tough neighborhood. We don't mind renting in the city, but no tough areas.

Can anybody tell me streets, areas, etc. to stay away from in Elmira, Corning and Horseheads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
I personally never noticed anything really bad about either city. In fact, they are both so small that I'd be surprised if there was a real ghetto in them.

But somebody else may know better than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM
 
269 posts, read 382,086 times
Reputation: 155
I don't know...the apartment we saw last week in Elmira was pretty ghetto, at least to us anyways. I don't remember the street name, but it was about ten minutes from Sullivan St. and there was a mcDonalds around the corner. It was just across the street from a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM
 
3,168 posts, read 5,491,154 times
Reputation: 2028
I've never heard of "bad areas" in Corning or Horseheads, but in Elmira I heard from a former elementary school principal that he once had to deal with a second grader who brought a gun to school, and that was years ago. Might be easier to speak of good areas in the City of Elmira, of which I understand the west side is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 2 days ago)
 
31,325 posts, read 36,955,458 times
Reputation: 6281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I've never heard of "bad areas" in Corning or Horseheads, but in Elmira I heard from a former elementary school principal that he once had to deal with a second grader who brought a gun to school, and that was years ago. Might be easier to speak of good areas in the City of Elmira, of which I understand the west side is.
Besides the Eastside of Elmira having a worse reputation that the other sides of town, Elmira is actually not that bad in terms of crime. A part of the reputation could be due to demographics in terms of race/ethnicity and economics. Actually, I believe the Little Rascals was based off of the Eastside of Elmira. Anyway, I'd say it's Westside is it's nicest part of the city: "Victorian HOME TOUR and information" - Romantic Victorian Homes & Guided Tours. Motor Coach Tour Bus & PRIVATE tour $12.00 per person. Victorian Experience, Elmira, NY Historic HomeTours.

As for Corning, there really aren't any "bad" areas of that city. You might have some areas that are more working class/poor, but in terms of crime, nothing serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
I don't know...the apartment we saw last week in Elmira was pretty ghetto, at least to us anyways. I don't remember the street name, but it was about ten minutes from Sullivan St. and there was a mcDonalds around the corner. It was just across the street from a school.
I know exactly where you are talking about. And it's not as bad as it looks. It's just really ooooooooold.

However the McDonalds sucks. Don't eat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
 
269 posts, read 382,086 times
Reputation: 155
LOL, too late. We had lunch there before heading back to RI. It didn't seem too bad. The people seemed friendly enough...you could tell there's definitely a lot of financial struggle there. We actually had a packed lunch (hummus, cheese, crackers and cut up veggies) and I felt kind of odd feeding it to my kids...lol. Hubby bought lunch there.

The apartment we saw was pretty run down. In defense of the landlord, he did disclose that he hadn't had a chance to clean it up. At least they were willing to take our dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
LOL, too late. We had lunch there before heading back to RI. It didn't seem too bad. The people seemed friendly enough...you could tell there's definitely a lot of financial struggle there. We actually had a packed lunch (hummus, cheese, crackers and cut up veggies) and I felt kind of odd feeding it to my kids...lol. Hubby bought lunch there.

The apartment we saw was pretty run down. In defense of the landlord, he did disclose that he hadn't had a chance to clean it up. At least they were willing to take our dog.
I'm glad it was okay. Maybe they have a better staff. Last time I ate there it was terrible. :P

Next time you're out there, look for Spiedies. Might find them more easily in the summer around Binghamton. They are a real treat, and just about exclusive to southern tier NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 2 days ago)
 
31,325 posts, read 36,955,458 times
Reputation: 6281
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm glad it was okay. Maybe they have a better staff. Last time I ate there it was terrible. :P

Next time you're out there, look for Spiedies. Might find them more easily in the summer around Binghamton. They are a real treat, and just about exclusive to southern tier NY.
Yes, they are good and we have some places in the syracuse area that makes them. For those that don't know: Spiedie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
I miss them SO much. :3

Every time I hear down here that Yankee's can't cook I think back to spiedies and shake my head. We can so cook! XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top