U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM

17 posts, read 26,478 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have lived in various parts of NYC for the past four years while attending college, and now that I'm about to graduate I would really love to move upstate, for some fresh air, trees, and cheaper housing. The only limiting factor is that my boyfriend currently has a decent job in the city that he does not want to give up, and we don't have a car (and aren't planning to) so he would need to be somewhere along the Metro North to commute.

I have lately been considering Poughkeepsie, not only for it's proximity to the train and but also the ease of access (via bus) to some of the towns I dream of living in some day, like Rosendale and New Paltz. However, I have heard in various places that Poughkeepsie may not be the nicest place to live, especially where we would be looking, somewhere within walking/biking distance of the train station.

Does anyone have any insight into the current state of Poughkeepsie, particularly in the historic district and around streets like South Hamilton? Is it "rough" or "dangerous" only compared to other towns in upstate NY, or compared to NYC as well? I have lived in some pretty rough and tumble areas in the city--Crown Heights, Red Hook, and currently Washington Heights; does anyone know what the transition would be like? I don't want to move somewhere that will be just as shady as where I live now in NYC, so I'm curious.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 PM

197 posts, read 317,843 times
Poughkeepsie is a long long ways from NYC via Train, expensive too. You would be better off working in Albany from Poughkeepsie.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:59 PM

704 posts, read 1,193,410 times
You are right, some areas of Poughkeepsie are a bit dicey. Don't have any insight into exactly how bad it is NOW (used to live in Poughkeepsie, near the train station, got robbed - it was BAD then 10-15 years ago) / which ones, but I know that those bad areas are close in proximity to the train station.

I would look into some places a bit further down the Hudson line if I were you. Try Beacon, 15 miles south of Poughkeepsie and also in Dutchess County. Other options include Cold Spring or Garrison in Putnam County, both with stops on MNRR Hudson Line.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Also if you dont have a car, I would suggest staying in NYC. All of the densely populated places in HV are mostly sketchy these days.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM

263 posts, read 463,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Also if you dont have a car, I would suggest staying in NYC. All of the densely populated places in HV are mostly sketchy these days.
Any place in any city or town has sketchy or bad parts.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM

797 posts, read 1,663,696 times
The area your looking in isn't the greatest. My friend ended up on that side after her divorce and she remarried-walking to their house one night he was stabbed and has lost use of that arm. Couldn't pay me enough to live there-I've lived here my whole life and it's really gone down hill. It's also still a 25 min walk to the station from there all up hill coming home. It's not close to it at all. And honestly-since there is no grocery store now in the city of Poughkeepsie-you'll have to use the LOOP bus or a taxi to get your groceries in the Town of Poughkeepsie. There are places down in New Hamburg that are walking distance to the train or like others have said Beacon. There is a grocery store in Beacon. You'll still have to take the LOOP to go other places in the county if you don't have a car. The LOOP bus can be hit or miss too-it runs a schedules that don't necessarily work with what you might be looking for.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Any place in any city or town has sketchy or bad parts.
Scarsdale, Stony Point, Cortlandt, just to name a few have no sketchy areas.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 AM

263 posts, read 463,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Scarsdale, Stony Point, Cortlandt, just to name a few have no sketchy areas.
Well if you're looking into very Upper Class areas then yes you're right. A regular middle class area has sketchy parts.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM

17 posts, read 26,478 times
I guess one thing I forgot to mention is that this move is also for financial reasons. Even with the Metro North ride living in Poughkeepsie would be far cheaper for both of us than living in a decent part of NYC. You have to pay at least $1,600 right now it seems to get anything more than a studio in a good area.

I have been considering Beacon and Cold Spring as well--seems more expensive, but I like both of those areas and because everyone is suggesting that I will continue to do so.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM

173 posts, read 220,717 times
The cost of the metro north, and possibly a metro card also if there's a need to take a train from Grand Central to the location of your boyfriend's job,and possibly also a cab to get you to the metro north in Poughkeepsie to even begin the trip - adds up to a lot of money.

The other thing that needs to be factored in your decision is the time the commute takes. This is about a 2 hour each way commute door to door, at least. That is the only way a commute should be figured- door to door. Commuting hours a day takes a tremendous toll on people and in my experience is very underestimated prior to such a move.

I know this doesn't address the question of Poughkeepsie as a neighborhood,but the cost, of maybe a minimum of $550. a month, for traveling 4 hours each day for work, may be the first thing to consider, regardless of what the neighborhood is like. The worst thing is to make plans for moving, all the hopes and images in your mind of how nice it'll be - and end up being totally exhausted and seeing money disappear from the commute!
even Cold Spring, - okay, it's a little closer, but still, that commute begins to feel like more of a rat race then anything I ever felt on the R train.
(I speak from my own experience!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York