Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM

270 posts, read 732,691 times

Advertisements

Well...my husband has finally received his official job offer in Elmira. We're VERY excited! We're sad to leave RI...we will miss "our malls" and "our beaches" and "our cuisine" but we are so happy to have an opportunity to own a single family home, something we could never afford to do here.

For now, we are looking at rentals. We are "low-income" and consequently we are looking for places that are more affordable and will allow our dog, Sam.

Excited to be joining you all in the southern Tier. :-)

P.S. One thing I noticed while out there was that there seemed to be lots and lots of mountainous hills, perfect for skiing places, but no ski resorts. Is this because the area is more low income and can't afford to ski or just nobody has thought a ski place would do well there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
There are plenty of ski hills in NY, although they typically locate in the slightlier snower and slightlier higher hills not in the immediate Elmira/Corning area: see Welcome to I SKI NY There used to be a ski tow at Pinnacle State Park near Addison but it closed (some time ago).

Greek Peak, Bristol Mountain, and Swain are likely the first 3 destinations. Holiday Valley and to some extent Greek Peak are destination resorts for out of state (out of country in HV's case, it draws from Toronto) folks.

Ski Sawmill and Ski Denton are nearby ski areas in PA, both are smaller than the 3 mentioned in NY.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM

270 posts, read 732,691 times
LOL, all I could think about as we drove from Elmira, Horseheads and Corning up to Honeoye Falls was how these communities might benefit from some great ski resorts to bring in commerce, tourists, etc. I couldn't believe that we didn't see a single one in that general area! It's cold enough to make snow, the mountains were certainly steep enough and varied enough to give different levels of skiers a challenge, you could even open a tubing hill or something! AND, the area is such a mix of nice mountainous terrain and flat or even hilly plains that you could even attract cross country skiiers.

I haven't skied in several years (not since we started having children) and at this point, we probably couldn't afford to ski, but I was just shocked at how great the area could be for the industry yet nobody seemed to be thinking along those lines.

I checked out that link and there seems to be a few spots, but I think with a few more ski spots, the area could probably do pretty well as a ski location. And in the spring and summer months, take a page from NH's mountains and have an Alpine slide, gondola rides, train tours, etc. Think of the jobs and commerce it would bring in.

I've heard a lot about how poor this part of NY is and how there are few jobs and there's not much industry, etc etc. But geez, use what you've got!!! It's been very successful for NH and VT!

Ok...soap box done...truthfully, who am I to speak? LOL, I've not lived there yet and I'm sure there's probably good reason why there aren't more ski spots and tourist places in that industry. But it did strike me as odd that there didn't seem to be any utilization of the mountains.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,292 times
Most of NY is hills and mountains and I think it has the highest number of ski resorts of any state. Most are in the Adirondacks, Catskills, and western southern tier hills where you have the additional benefit of Lake Erie effect snow. Plus there are a fair number of resorts in north-east PA. So, the area is probably already ski resort saturated enough.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM

There used to be more: Lost New York Ski Areas

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
There used to be more: Lost New York Ski Areas
Interesting......I think there used to be a skiing location at Syracuse University, as there is an area of South Campus that appears to hasve had a lift at one time.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting......I think there used to be a skiing location at Syracuse University, as there is an area of South Campus that appears to hasve had a lift at one time.
The ski lodge is still there Syracuse University Food Services - The Inn Complete

Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I know, I work there and wonder what happened?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 PM

140 posts, read 731,738 times
Default Skiing question in Elmira

It all boils down the the crappy economy, as well as the geography. New York State and Pennsylvania have plenty of ski resorts operational already. And, they are not doing well economically and have had to diversify there skiing, snowboarding, build other amenities to boost their sagging incomes. Plus, the geography of that part of the state is not high enough to support the building of another ski resort...the ski runs would be very short.

Building a ski resort and all it's accomodations, amenities, etc., would be very costly, something this part of the area just cannot justify or support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York