Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family is looking to make the move from staten Island to orange county. We were wondering about the areas of mount hope and otisville. We know the school in these areas are great but we are concerned about crime etc. Any thoughts, opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 PM

17 posts, read 60,646 times
Ive lived in this area my entire life, which a few exceptions here and there for some years.

The population have grown x1000, mostly city people, since my family moved here from the Bronx in the early 70s.

While its prob not much compared to Staten Island, Im sick on the congestion, cost and really just want to get out myself. Hoping the housing market gets a bit better in coming years, so I can get back the $$ I invested in my house (about 50k).

There are alot of nice areas around here, lots of mountains, some waterfalls, you have the west Point/Hudson River area which is beautiful. Its not to far to travel to NYC or Poughkeepsie for concerts.

Crime has gone way up compared to how it was years ago, but I guess that the case everywhere. Middletown schools arent that bad. While there is the occasional violent crime, I think most crime around here tends to be robberies and theft, and most of that stuff sticks around the more crowded areas like middlletown. Lots of wanna be kid gansters who watch too much mtv and ae victims of whats popular,but they tend to be harmless. A ex girlfriend of mine lived in Bloomingburg and didnt lock her doors. You really dont need to worry about crime in the areas outside middletown. For the most part, peopel here are friendly but there are also alot of idiots. Ive noticed the driving skills of people in the area has dropped significantly.

If youre kids go to minisink schools or the like, they should be fine - those are pretty decent schools - I know the principal and a few of the teachers there.

I just cant take the congestion anymore though. Too many people on the roads, too many traffic lights, stop signs etc. At this point, in my early 40s, I just want something that is a bit more laid back and more like this area 20 years ago. Im looking to Nothern PA or further upstate NY.

Middletown Harriman, Newburgh - as far as shopping goes, everything u need is here. The roads get very crowded around Xmas. These roads were never really meant for the size of the population thats here now, and commuting can be frustrating - driving on 17 or 84 and people here FLY on the highways.

Im just outside middletown where a decent home will be over 200k. Taxes should be in the 6k area. Those numbers can either rise or fall depending on where you go on the outskirts of town.

I also answered a post here, you may want to read...
Middletown, NY

Last edited by Dr Gonzo; 02-05-2011 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York