Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times

Advertisements

This is one of the reasons we are planning to move eventually. I understand the natural resources are needed. But I guess I am one of those 'NIMBY' people. I don't want my well polluted, or the natural beauty around me drastically changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM

454 posts, read 763,522 times
If it's any consolation, I've lived around drilling for about 15 years, and it hasn't ruined anything, or lowered my property values. I'm in Texas, and they may be better at the game than up there. The gas situation has actually brought more money to the area. The wells are pretty hidden when they drill, and then the big tower is gone after about 6 weeks.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:46 PM

PS I just read that NY uses more natural gas than any state east of the Missisippi.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
If it's any consolation, I've lived around drilling for about 15 years, and it hasn't ruined anything, or lowered my property values. I'm in Texas, and they may be better at the game than up there. The gas situation has actually brought more money to the area. The wells are pretty hidden when they drill, and then the big tower is gone after about 6 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
PS I just read that NY uses more natural gas than any state east of the Missisippi.
I think people in New York are a bit more concerned about possible long term pollution we might leave for future generations, not just noise for 6 weeks.

After all, the river bed of the upper Hudson River is contaminated with PCBs, but the companies that did it, with all their promises of money and jobs, are long gone.

New York btw, has more people than any state east of the Mississippi River.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,270 times
NY is a very populous state. Total energy use and energy use per capita are two very different things. Texas ranks #5 in energy usage per capita- NY is #47.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Ha-I guess it all depends on which side of the fence the author of the article is on.

Regarding buying in upstate...

The last price-per-acre for gas leasing in NY (I believe)was 3500 per acre. In the Haynesville shale in Louisiana, it was as high as 37,000 per acre. I can't predict what the price-per-acre will be when drilling resumes. If you sign a lease, it doesn't mean you will have a well nearby. You may never see one.

If there is a well in your 'unit' you will receive royalties (on an average well) that could be anywhere from 5 million to 20 million dollars over the next 20 years.

Fracking actually puts fewer wells in an area, due to the fact that they can branch out from one location.

If you buy in the catskills, western Sullivan county is probably the most likely spot for drilling that is closest to the city. The 'Teeple wells' in PA were productive, and they were right over the border from Sullivan county.

I would buy as much property as I could afford, save your kids having to take out a college loan, have a great retirement.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times
Definition of INTERLOPER

: one that interlopes: as a : an illegal or unlicensed trader b : one that intrudes in a place or sphere of activity

See interloper defined for English-language learners »

See interloper defined for kids »

Examples of INTERLOPER

1. I had hoped to help my neighbors, but they regarded me as an interloper.
  2. <summer residents were regarded as interlopers who had no deep commitment to the town's welfare>
in·ter·lop·er/ˈintərˌlōpər/

Noun:A person who becomes involved in a place or situation where they are not wanted or are considered not to belong.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 05-01-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
It's interesting to see the concerned replies of the downstaters, out-of staters, etc... Here's a thought..esp for you environmentally concious types from the "city" and long island. Let's return upstate to a more nature centered state of being. We can start by shutting off the upstate water, and reclaiming the resevoirs in the Catskills that send you all the water you can use. But, why stop there. Tear down all the hi-po elec transmission lines that ruined our properties to feed downstate. And of course, shut off, dig up and reclaim the land used for the millenium pipeline...and shut off the gas flow to...surprise...downstate. We won't even get into the waste haulers that bring your nastiest stuff upstate. Hey...I could keep going w/this..tear down all the cabin/mcmansions that you folks have built in the Catskills and the Adirondacks. You do want to view a wilderness uncluttered by these monstrosities?...right?......................and on and on....
I second that!!!! I would be delighted to see everything north of Westchester as a separate state: NYC/LI/close NY "burbs" don't have a clue what they "get" from us cheaply.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
NY is a very populous state. Total energy use and energy use per capita are two very different things. Texas ranks #5 in energy usage per capita- NY is #47.
NY is populous because of NYC

Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM

341 posts, read 684,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I second that!!!! I would be delighted to see everything north of Westchester as a separate state: NYC/LI/close NY "burbs" don't have a clue what they "get" from us cheaply.
And, the rest of the state doesn't know what we get cheaply because of NYC and it's 5 boroughs.

You know, NYC finances the majority of things like:

* State troopers
* Legislatures
* State Court System
* National Guard

And, because of NYC, NYS shares in the benefit of a GDP larger than many nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York