Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM

130 posts, read 173,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
I do not tolerate racism or classism, but have found that Upstate New York is actually more progressive in their attitudes towards race and mix-race couples. My wife is from the Philippines and I am white, we live in Watertown, NY (which is pretty far north in NYS). We have never felt or percieved any "racist stares" or hatred from anyone while we have lived here. Also, be wary of anyone from the city telling you that Upstate NY is backward and we're all a bunch of klansman up here. It's an absurd assumption that is generated by lack of experience in Upstate. We are more conservative than the city and don't tolerate some of the things that people living in the metro area have to put up with; but Upstate NY is more advanced socially than we get credit for.
Example of the harmony in Syracuse:
Black Law students refused admission into a Syracuse night club

Go google "Warfeild" "Ambrosia" and "Syracuse" Look for the report in the "Daily Orange."

This is an example of racism that exits right in the heart of Central NY. Maybe it's "just a story"...

Old 12-24-2007, 06:20 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanejones View Post
Thank you for your statement. I've visited Rochester and didn't experience any blatant racism. But I'm also looking towards Ithaca, or Manhattan also. I'm more concerned of the job market for black professionals, as I'm single and not to trying to raise a family. I've researched the tourists-based websites for Rochester, Ithaca, and Manhattan. They're good starters and resource for general information. But the experience itself is what I'm more focused on. In the summer, I'm looking at visiting Ithaca to see Cornell University. Thanx for your comments.
If you want a good job and not have to worry about race move to dc area. The Population has a Heavy Educated Minority and 60%-70% of the jobs are professional. There Suburbs have some of the highest income earners in America and you will be surprised that they are very diverse. NYS and especially NYC have a hidden racism or bias of whom they pick for jobs. If you look at the Data you will see that If you take a Minority and compare them to a White person by were they live and income you will be shock how Bias NYC really is especially Manhattan.

Why are Blacks males age 18-25(high school educated) having a 70-unemployment rate in America? In Rochester it is 16.9% unemployment for African American total population compared to whites is 7.1.
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet..._2006_EST_G00_
In NYC unemployment for total population is 5.5 for whites and African American 11.4.
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...-redoLog=false
In 2000 census data an African America person in Gaithersburg and Silver Springs Md had a 2.8 and 3.3 unemployment rates. With 51% working Professional jobs average Family Income of 60k. In today’s dollar that equal 75k. In 2000 census Data Rochester African American population had 6.4 unemployed with the family income 31,000 dollars that would be 39,000 in today’s dollars. The only had 31% in professional jobs. NYC unemployment 5.5 and 36% were in professional jobs. Family income was 41k that would equal 51k in today’s dollar. Ithaca unemployment was 5.3 incomes were 42k and 53% work in professional jobs.
Also look at this number: total African American population employed:
Gaithersburg 70%
Silver Spring 68%
Rochester ny 56%
NYC 52%
Ithaca 50%
I know that this may be irrelevant to you but there are other areas in America to live than just nys. I thought NYS was the best for a long time but times have changed and maybe people should re-think the idea that other areas may be better.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 32,726 times
My dear, I wish you success ............ We Oualkhaddmh Assistance commendable ...

Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM

66 posts, read 201,522 times
Curious to know what you ended up deciding on -- did Syracuse work out for you?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:36 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
Example of the harmony in Syracuse:
Black Law students refused admission into a Syracuse night club

Go google "Warfeild" "Ambrosia" and "Syracuse" Look for the report in the "Daily Orange."

This is an example of racism that exits right in the heart of Central NY. Maybe it's "just a story"...
I can verify this one. It is widely known, but I did not believe it and and gave it a try. I was not allowed enter. I have had many other friends try as well, and for some reason of another they will not let any of us enter.

This was in '05 but I doubt it has changed

Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 PM

130 posts, read 173,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I can verify this one. It is widely known, but I did not believe it and and gave it a try. I was not allowed enter. I have had many other friends try as well, and for some reason of another they will not let any of us enter.

This was in '05 but I doubt it has changed
Yup. and it happened agagin in Feb. '07. Go look up "Rip-off Reports" and "ambrosia". Granted, it's ONE club, but the fact that there was no great out-cry or coverage in the Post Standard AMAZED ME... When were we time-warped back into the late 50's?????

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,454 times
Default AA families

I grew up in a small town outside of Albany, NY and I am African American. I would avoid upstate NY, period. Anything between Westchester county and the Canadian border is not a friendly place. Most people are OK with usual daily interactions (ie I wouldn't expect a waitress to spit in my soup at a restaurant) but social networking is extremely difficult for African Americans, especially for professionals. I stayed in the area until I graduated from school. I would go to NYC (2 hours away) whenever possible just to go out with friends; not much to do in Albany. Wherever you live, your life is what you make of it, but in this region, it is more difficult to keep connections within the AA community, if that is something that matters to you.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl83 View Post
I grew up in a small town outside of Albany, NY and I am African American. I would avoid upstate NY, period. Anything between Westchester county and the Canadian border is not a friendly place. Most people are OK with usual daily interactions (ie I wouldn't expect a waitress to spit in my soup at a restaurant) but social networking is extremely difficult for African Americans, especially for professionals. I stayed in the area until I graduated from school. I would go to NYC (2 hours away) whenever possible just to go out with friends; not much to do in Albany. Wherever you live, your life is what you make of it, but in this region, it is more difficult to keep connections within the AA community, if that is something that matters to you.
What places have you found that are friendlier to blacks than upstate NY?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:17 AM

66 posts, read 201,522 times
Is it true that Syracuse has active KKK and Aryan Syndicate members? How active are they in/around the city?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
They city may not but they outlaying areas may groups like that. White power groups are everywhere. It should be noted that the largest concentration of hate groups are located in the NYC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York