Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 PM

40 posts, read 112,283 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Will be working at The Equitable Center on 7th Avenue. I am not familiar with NYC but having lived in HK and Tokyo I assume its similar pros and cons of mega-cities. So not too fussed about that.

Can anyone recommend a suburb within 60 minutes commute of 7th avenue? Prefer train+walk to bus but so long as its about 60m I am not too fussed. I have 4 kids (7y to 4m in age). Schooling isn't relevant as we currently home school.

Looking to rent initially but with an eye to buying once I find an area we like. Budget is 500 to 750k USD (lower end the better of course). In terms of rent I wouldnt want to spend more than 2.5k/month (or so). Would want 4 to 5 bedroom place depending on the room sizes. For comparison in HK I live in a 1300sqft, 3 bedroom apartment and that's too small (though livable at the moment because the kids are still young).

So in terms of priority:

* Family friendly neighborhood (other families with kids for example)
* Safe.
* 60m commute max.
* Access to parks/greenery (not high priority since I am planning on a car).

Not really fussed if its town or suburbia or what the population of the place is or if it is in NY or NJ.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,989 times
Post this in the Westchester County forum...but places like White Plains, Yonkers, or New Rochelle would work.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM

40 posts, read 112,283 times
Dreamshot,
Thank you. Will repost.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
60 minutes of 7th avenue would be 8th ave. (joke)

Staten Island is 20 minutes except during rush hour, when it's an hour (unless you take the ferry)
NJ has tons of towns and cities within 60 minutes: Hudson County including Kearny, Bergen County, parts of Essex County. My niece lives in Raritan and it takes her about an hour most days IF the trains are on time. Jersey shore area has a couple different high speed ferries - think Middletown or Atlantic Highlands - there's also the trains but then you're beyond the hour.

I understand there are some really nice areas in Brooklyn and Queens but if you go further out on long island into Nassau County, you're over an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York