Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 14,735 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any cool little rural towns with cheap housing close to N.Y.C, perhaps 2-3 hours away?

We are an artist couple who are currently living in a small mountain town (2000 people) in another state.

We love nature so don't wanna give that up..

Our rental budget is somewhere between $500-700.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,324 times
Default hope this helps

If you are in the mountains of any other state, you will likely be horrified by the prices in New York. However, you desire to remain in or near the mountains which will be in your favor. Another thing in your favor is your willingness to be 2-3 hours away because you will likely have to be every bit that far away. I could recomend some superb little mountain communities in the Catskills but being close to NYC the prices have been driven up. There is Hunter, Margaretville and almost any small town in that general area are very nice. However, My recomendation is if you are an artist and want to keep it pretty cheap and be in probably the most unique and phenominal mountain park in "the WORLD" you would want the Adirondacks and I personally like Lake Luzerne and Corinth. They are fully 3 hours, maybe a tad little bit more to NYC. They are close to the growing medium size city of Glens Falls which has almost everything you need and even has a charm of its own but not right in the mountains. Lake Luzerne & Corinth maintain that little village charm and are very very safe. You will also be close to Lake George to share or sell your art which attracts the lion share of tourist to the Southern Adirondacks. Even Lake Luzerne has its share of tourist but that is one community that doesnt seem to feel like you are smothered by tourist. Its SO laid back. And winter is so picture perfect there. You may even get an apartment for around 700/mo but am sure it would be close. Anything in the mountains any closer to NYC will be way too expensive and anything North of these will be just too far or too remote.
You could also check out Stockbridge, Pittsfield or Great Barrington Massachusetts. They are almost the epitome of "artsy" with small village charm. But of course would be considerably more expensive. But well within 2 -3 hours of NYC. Hope that helps. Any specific questions on the Southern Adirondacks, just ask.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Almost nothing within 70 miles of NYC is $500 to $700 (well, maybe a 1bd in Middletown). You might also put something on craigslist and see if someone has an illegal apartment to rent.

As for an artsy village, check out Sugar Loaf. You may find a shop or house there to purchase from someone but they'll want to know you're real artists and intend to keep the community the way it is. You have to know people.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:25 AM

90 posts, read 686,409 times
Middleburgh in Schoharie County is a lovely village and has really had a little Renaissance from what I can see. It's small and the rural areas there certainly aren't affluent, but I have been impressed at how lovely the village itself has become. You would find a decent place for $500-$700 there.... It's kind of remote though but within 2-3 hours of NYC and 45 mins from Albany.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 AM

3 posts, read 23,543 times
I don't know how to put this but you will not get much in the way of anything to write home about on your budget 2-3 hours from NYC. I can say that with 100% assurance and there aren't too many things I can say that about. I just wanted to let you know that anything 2-3 hours from NYC is desirable and a prime location and the rates will be high, even in ghettos!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
You may find a small apt in Sound Beach/Rocky Point if you can stretch a little.
C

Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 AM

110 posts, read 496,424 times
Greenwood lake, great area for all outdoors, beach access, hiking , boating, skiing, decent rents transportation to NYC within walking distance etc
Good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 07:34 AM

30 posts, read 236,162 times
Smile Try Cold Spring, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac79 View Post
I was wondering if there are any cool little rural towns with cheap housing close to N.Y.C, perhaps 2-3 hours away?

We are an artist couple who are currently living in a small mountain town (2000 people) in another state.

We love nature so don't wanna give that up..

Our rental budget is somewhere between $500-700.

I'm sure it is not news to you that you are not working with a very big budget for this neck of the woods (no offense). But if you are willing to be as far as 2 - 3 hours away from New York -- there is hope! I live one hour north of NY. About 45 minutes to an hour or so further north of me, on the Hudson River is Cold Spring, NY. It's a very cute little town right on the river, and it has a reputation as an artsie place. I'd check that out, as well as other river towns . In recent history, the river towns had a few bad decades and got a little (ok, more than a little) run down. A number of them are having a renaissance of sorts. Research "Hudson River Valley". You'll see festivals going on... Check out Cold Spring for sure, and follow the festivals.
By the way... I think that a root reason for why river towns hadn't done well in modern times, despite the fact that they have the scenic Hudson River right there, is because the TRAIN runs along the river! Talk about a waste of real estate value! Of course, it makes train travel convenient to and from the city for example, but I think development would have been very different if it were easier to have attractive riverfront home locations. (Just my opinion.) Good luck!
Alex

Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM

You might like my old hometown of Saugerties (on the Hudson). It's gentrified a lot and gotten quite artsy with cafes etc. I had a few posts on here in a thread about Saugerties. Scan down a page or two. It's next to the arts town of Woodstock. For your interests that area may be spot on. Now what can you get for $500-$700 ...not sure. I think a modest one bedroom in Saugerties will run you about $600 now. You jump a town north to Catskill (also seeing a revival) and it may be a tad less.

I posted earlier about Middleburgh (50 miles northwest of Saugerties).....more remote ...Northern edge of the Catskills (along the endless farm fields of the fertile Schoharie Valley). I think you'd get a nice sized two bedroom there for $600 a month...but further from any big arts scene.

Cold Spring is lovely and a very easy metro-north ride into the city, but my guess is that you'd need more than $700 a month for a one bedroom. Maybe it would get you a small studio apartment.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM

And a winter wx paradise there. if one likes deep snow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York