U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 14,383 times
Default Washingtonville NY schools good or bad?

We just looked at a home in the Washingtonville school district, the home would be perfect for our family of 5, but we are concerned about the schools. We took a chance looking at this home. Our top locations/school districts are Warwick and Goshen, but we haven't really seen anything that would work for us in these areas.

Before we get too attached and fall more in love with this house, please give us the low down on schools. We have looked at all school ratings & test scores, but would like any input from personal experience. We have an 18 month old, 6 year old & 7 year old. It's the kind of house we could grow old in, so need info on K-12. I tried to find info on forum, but much of it is out dated.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 PM

693 posts, read 1,018,650 times
I graduated from Valley Central High School a few years back, the district that serves Montgomery, Maybrook, Walden, and the town of Newburgh to the North of Washingtonville. Never heard anything particularly bad about Washingtonville Schools. As a matter of fact, I'm certain that they are solid. Only districts that can be shaky in the county are Newburgh, Middletown, or Port Jervis based. Bottom line: You can't go wrong with Washingtonville Schools.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,383 times
Thank you for your reply Dreamshot. Your posts in other threads about Orange County have also been really helpful. I can get a little hung up on ratings & test scores for schools, but there is more to a school then that.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Glad I could be of assistance. Much more to a school than just test scores; if the child comes from a good household and is taught right from wrong, he/she will do just fine in almost any school.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,960 times
I go to WHS, and the teachers are the BEST. They are honestly some of the best teachers one could ever have. For example, when it comes to AP classes, the national average is a 1.8, and our average is a 3.8/5 (which is amazing). They truely prepare you for college. Our music programs normally have at least 20 people in Allstate/area allstate/ all county, etc. in both band and chorus. We are really good at that, but we have no marching band The sports are okay, especially girls swimming, girls soccer, and all track/cross country. We've been getting better at football...... kind of.
The bad part about Washyville is the social scene. People are incredibly cliquey, and races are seriously segregated. Hispanics ONLY hang out with hispanics, African Americans ONLY with African Americans. I'm not lying, it's like sections of the lunch room are designated to certain races. People aren't accepting of others, and are really judgemental. It's a small town, so if anything ever happens, EVERYONE knows about it and will make up horrible rumors simply because there's nothing else to do here. That's why, despite my love for my amazing teachers, I can't wait to get as far away from here as possible and never, ever, EVER come back! One more year! The best school socially around here is Cornwall, but the education is not as good. To be honest, I'd suggest not coming anywhere around here. Hope that helped! :]

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 18,722 times
Default Have Washingtonville Schools gotten any better?

My hubby and I are currently renting a home in Scotchtown and are looking to purchase something in Orange County. We have been concentrating on homes in the following school districts: Goshen (top choice), Warwick, Monroe, Chester, Florida and Cornwall. We are looking for a particular style of home (large 4-bedroom contemporary ranch) and that seems to be hard to find. So we've recently expanded our search area to include Washingtonville schools. I have been reading a lot of negative opinions about the schools (specifically posts in this forum from the years 2007 and 2008, but some are recent) regarding wannabe gang members, fighting, sex, drugs, cliques, segregation, etc. I'm just wondering since it's 3-4 years later if any of these of these issues have subsided or have they gotten worse? And what's this about Mountain Lodge Park and how it's a really bad area / problem... Where is that? What is the issue there? We have 3 boys (1 in 1st grade, 1 in pre-K and 1 in preschool). We've got some time before getting to high school (where most of the problems in the district seem to exist) but I don't want to move into a district with lots of known issues. Just curious on everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Hate to break it to you, but "wannabe gang members, fighting, sex, drugs, cliques, segregation" are in EVERY public high school. I went to Valley Central High School, which serves the Town of Montgomery and the Town of Newburgh, and all of the above existed, but I chose to not get involved.

You can even get a very good education at Newburgh Free Academy [NFA] (serving the City of Newburgh...) if you steer clear of trouble - its all about the individual and that individual's values.

I have not heard anything particularly bad about ANY of the schools in Orange County, aside from some issues at NFA. I feel confident in stating that your children will get a quality education at any school in the county.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 PM

9 posts, read 18,722 times
Yes, I agree. There will be trouble in every school. Just wondering if Washingtonville has a predisposition for more problems than other districts.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM

441 posts, read 1,007,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metar28 View Post
Yes, I agree. There will be trouble in every school. Just wondering if Washingtonville has a predisposition for more problems than other districts.
No, Washingtonville does not have a "predisposition" for problems. All of the districts in Orange County are fine. Your children's school experience will be comprised of many components -- parental involvement, teachers, administration, etc. As someone above stated, test scores are only one measure.

Washingtonville CSD is lead by a terrific superintendent - Roberta Greene. Just one example of her leadership was during the recent crisis of Hurricane Irene. The area was devasted; people lost homes; business were wiped out; and some schools sustained damage. Ms. Greene put the focus where it needed to be - on the school community.

Due to the damage, teachers did not have any days to prep their classrooms for the start of school. They were able to get in on the morning of the scheduled first day; students came in for half a day. Ms. Greene put the word out that the priority was to come together and make all feel safe.

http://www.ws.k12.ny.us/education/di...hp?sectionid=1

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 11-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Added link.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 AM

710 posts, read 491,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Hate to break it to you, but "wannabe gang members, fighting, sex, drugs, cliques, segregation" are in EVERY public high school. I went to Valley Central High School, which serves the Town of Montgomery and the Town of Newburgh, and all of the above existed, but I chose to not get involved.

You can even get a very good education at Newburgh Free Academy [NFA] (serving the City of Newburgh...And new windsor, a part of cornwall, and a part of Town of newburgh) if you steer clear of trouble - its all about the individual and that individual's values.

I have not heard anything particularly bad about ANY of the schools in Orange County, aside from some issues at NFA. I feel confident in stating that your children will get a quality education at any school in the county.
OMG i think you are the first person to say something good about newburgh schools! NFA really isn't that bad, we are one of the schools most looked at by colleges because of everything happening at NFA(i.e 200+ electives, almost all AP courses offered, auto body shop, cosmeotology clinic, daycare center, hospital room etc) Like you said though Know who you're hanging out with, stay away from trouble, don't do drugs, don't have sex or fight. All of the above are personal choices. People are not forced into doing drugs, or forced into fighting, or forced to hang out with a "gangster."

Yes all of the above mentioned will happen at any public school and in a number of private schools. You also need to look at what YOU need. If you are a spanish/ black person will you feel comfortable being in a district where most of the students and you neighbors will be white (i.e cornwall and monroe also where taxes are highest) Little things like that I think you should think of/ look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York