U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Great photos of the town. Thanks for sharing. I love the VW bug police car!
The VW police car is used for the commons only(what is referred to as the pedestian mall in the photos). They use it for driving down the walkways. it's always there.

Great photos of the area. Make sure you visit the waterfalls next time they're amazing.

Another interesting thing about Ithaca. The old movies and tv shows where filmed here. You can view the house where they filmed the munsters. The road where Scranton entered the town(State St. hill), I believe was where the little rascals had there derby races. And many others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 12:19 AM

460 posts, read 1,263,976 times
..Nice photo tour...being over in the next county, we often go to the Ithaca area and also on over to Watkins Glen. Earlier this year, I had done some tongue-in-cheek replies to postings about Ithaca. They centered around Tompkins county's more liberal nature vs Tioga County's more conservative style...guess some of the posters here dodn't appreciate my dry humor.....oh well.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,668 times
Default Just one detail-

The tree stump you photographed is known as the "Wishing Tree". Kids (or kids at heart) find treasures inside then leave something for someone else.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM

11 posts, read 32,869 times
I love Ithaca. I'd move there if my situation favored it. It's a beautiful, interesting town with a truly unique and thriving personality.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 PM

26,549 posts, read 47,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gern Blansten View Post
The tree stump you photographed is known as the "Wishing Tree". Kids (or kids at heart) find treasures inside then leave something for someone else.
Why that's a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing! That sounds like something my own children would enjoy someday. It's so nice to see that there still ARE close-knit urban communities in our nation.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

92 posts, read 173,594 times
The shutter in your camera must have been smoking after this photo tour! Lots of great pictures and commentary.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 28 days ago)

31,877 posts, read 37,849,021 times
Default RubyHeelsClicking......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyHeelsClicking View Post
Thanks so much for the photo tour!!! I have been reading the postings here because I'm looking to relocate from Westchester, and am very interested in Ithaca. The photo tour really helped a lot....now I know I must take a trip up there and seriously start looking.

I am a single mom of a 12 year old son. Can anyone tell me what the public schools are like? (especially high school).

Many thanks.

The schools there are really good and you have various environments within the Ithaca City SD. It really is an "area" city school district. What I mean is that you get kids from the rural and suburban areas as well. So, it is very diverse ethnically/racially, economically and in terms of residential environment. You get kids that have parents that are professor's kids, farmer's kids and kids that come from very urban neighborhoods. There have been some incidents involving the district, but that is the exception, not the rule. Here's are some places to check out the schools there:Ithaca City School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information (http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/ny/district_profile/317 - broken link)

Ithaca City School District

Cascadilla School

Welcome - Immaculate Conception School

and here are some district around Ithaca in Tompkins County:New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,508 times
This is soooooooooowonderful! I grew up in Ithaca (on South Hill), but have not been back for a few years now. I remember father/daughter breakfasts at St. Pauls Methodist, walking down Eddy Street, and that Rooster......! Thank you so much for the update

Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 PM

531 posts, read 439,114 times
Smile I'm addicted to naturally beautiful, scenic places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Most of these images are of residential dwellings, so few captions will be necessary.

Captions are nice but not necessary in your case. Pennsylvania ROCKS for having a citizen who is not only kind but talented enough to really showcase Ithaca to those who may have never been there. I've been through Ithaca and loved it: near low mountains, rolling hills, lush greenery, top-tier university & college, and an enjoyable slower pace of life. Thanks for absolutely gorgeous pics of old homes and sites in Ithaca. Ithaca visitors center should award you with a medal of honor. (Ithaca city officials are you listening? ) I'm sure your photos better promote the old homes with so much character in the area than any glossy publication from a PR firm ever has. Suburbia, regardless of how upscale and well-manicured, will NEVER hold a candle to towns such as Ithaca with "personality"; just my two cents. Thanks again for the eye candy.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 AM

26,549 posts, read 47,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IthacaSouth View Post
This is soooooooooowonderful! I grew up in Ithaca (on South Hill), but have not been back for a few years now. I remember father/daughter breakfasts at St. Pauls Methodist, walking down Eddy Street, and that Rooster......! Thank you so much for the update
That church was absolutely beautiful. I should have taken a picture from a bit further back to capture it in its entirety. Yeah, that is a pretty big c**k on that building on the corner downtown, isn't it?! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Captions are nice but not necessary in your case. Pennsylvania ROCKS for having a citizen who is not only kind but talented enough to really showcase Ithaca to those who may have never been there. I've been through Ithaca and loved it: near low mountains, rolling hills, lush greenery, top-tier university & college, and an enjoyable slower pace of life. Thanks for absolutely gorgeous pics of old homes and sites in Ithaca. Ithaca visitors center should award you with a medal of honor. (Ithaca city officials are you listening? ) I'm sure your photos better promote the old homes with so much character in the area than any glossy publication from a PR firm ever has. Suburbia, regardless of how upscale and well-manicured, will NEVER hold a candle to towns such as Ithaca with "personality"; just my two cents. Thanks again for the eye candy.
I don't understand why people are ABANDONING such lush historic places like Binghamton, Syracuse, Scranton, Williamsport, Elmira, etc. in a stampede fashion for soulless places devoid of character (i.e. Cary, NC, Tulsa, OK, Scottsdale, AZ, etc.) You can find big-box stores and tract-housing ANYWHERE in America. Where else can you find a "Wishing Tree", a VW Beetle police car, elderly women wearing bright striped pants, homes with such impressive historic character, and even solar panels atop a Cape Cod home (I wanted to take a picture of this but there was a gay couple in the front yard passively watching me as I walked past, so I didn't want them to think I was taking pictures of THEM! LOL!) You people that are leaving because "I don't like the weather" are wussies! LOL! I'd take Scranton ANYDAY over Cary, NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York