Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 14,101 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly considering moving to Rockland County to be closer to my in-laws. While property is more affordable in Rockland, I'm a bit concerned about commuting into Manhattan.

From Blauvelt, is it possible to get to work in Manhattan in under 1.5 hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Affordable in Rockland? Where? If it’s so affordable then why are so many young college graduates leaving the area and moving south? Much of Rockland is starting to look like parts of Florida where the only residence are seniors who can’t sell their homes.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
LOL sorry had to laugh on that..we have been thinking of bergan/rockland/orange county from dutchess to get rid of dh's commute..but have not found anything of value that I would consider purchasing.

Question though..Does rockland county have any colonial homes..I see sooooo many ranch style (raised, sugar maple splits and such)..I guess those newer style (not neccesarily NEW) homes are out in orange..that is is what we are looking for.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 PM

110 posts, read 496,424 times
Rockland , Westchester, Long Island and even Orange County All of NY is becoming expensive!!!! But Rockland is still more affordable than Westchester and still close enough to the city for a commute within the hour by bus, train
Yes Rockland has beautiful colonials new and old Piermont has beautiful older homes completely updated Views of the water Great dinning It is like anything else you have to know the area and know where to look If you would like my help, let me know and good luck

Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 48,326 times
Default Thinking about moving to Rockland conty

I am a single woman with no children considering moving from the Bronx to Rockland County. I was origanally looking for a coop/condo in Westchester but recently saw some affordable town houses (under 300,000) in Rockland county on the internet. Can you recommend affordable diverse safe areas/towns in Rockland that are near major highways as I will be commuting to the bronx to work.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM

52 posts, read 567,326 times
^^
Nyack (right on the Thruway), Stony Point (Palisades Parkway to the GWB)...The commute isn't bad if you take the many buses from Rockland (all over the county). Or take the train from Spring Valley/Nanuet/Pearl River.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 61,146 times
Hi I just saw your message - Blauvelt is about 15 miles from NYC and unless traffic is terrific you should be at the George Washington Bridge within a half an hour -less on off peak hours such as weekends - the GWB connects Jersey with Manhattan - its a straight shot down the Palisades Parkway - good luck whatever you decide Dorothy

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM

33 posts, read 189,509 times
Blauvelt to NYC is a breeze! My DH does the commute from Goshen(Orange County) to NYC. Now that's over an hour!(he drives in)

I also have to laugh about the words affordable and Rockland County being used in the same sentence!LOL Sorry. I lived in Rockland County(Stony Piont, Pomona and Nanuet) DH was born and raised in West Nyack. I am originally from the Bronx. We left Rockland for more affordable housing in Orange county(Florida, then Warwick, now we're in Goshen) Yes, we've moved around a lot!LOL

Yes, Rockland is the bi-level capital of the world!

Those beautiful colonials in Piermont are over 1 mill!

benzy1977
If you found a townhouse on the internet that is under $300,000 it isn't in a good neighborhood or it's a studio or 1 bedroom! My dad did the commute(drove in) to the Bronx for work from Stony Point. There are much closer areas to commute from. Do you have kids? Are schools important?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,053 times
Default Rockland condos

Hi, If you are looking for a good condo under 300,000 in a good area try Mountainview Condominiums in Valley Cottage. They are on the top of the mountain with a large clubhouse and pools that overlook the Hudson River. There is an adult area, a childrens pool, a diving pool, and the large pool with slide. THere is a snack bar, restaurant, and bar also. Go for the ones in the upper condos which are newer than the older ones at the bottom. I believe they go for about 235,000 for a 2br/2b. You can just get right on the tappen zee bridge and be in the Bronx in no time.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 PM

52 posts, read 567,326 times
^^^
True, it is a bachelors paradise there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York