U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 05:20 PM

2,326 posts, read 4,848,450 times

Advertisements

I've been reading on CD about several of the smaller towns in the Mohawk Valley area, and with the exception of Little Falls, many are described as depressed and on the decline. Are there any towns besides Little Falls that have more thriving downtowns and some industries to keep them going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM

59,322 posts, read 84,112,411 times
I'd say that Herkimer isn't too bad. Ilion is OK. Same with Frankfort. Mohawk doesn't seem to have much.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,610,699 times
Somebody, the government I'm sure, poured are diaperload of money into Herkimer. I was there two weeks and was very impressed with the work. The downtown is shot. My father and way on back is from Herkimer. Its sad to see it so bad. The rest of the village is rough. Pretty safe I would say. Very sad place and thats not the way it was. LOTS of rednecks which is not the way it was in the 80's. Great pizza.

Ilion is my mothers hometown. I can hear the death rattle for Ilion. Run down is being kind.

Mohawk is nice. Its not much of a town but then it never was.

All are near the Thruway which is good cause its gonna be a long drive for work.

Little Falls was a dump since at least the 70's.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Take that last post with a grain of salt and check them out for yourself.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Yeah cause living in that area for 30 years and returning every few weeks can never compare to Goggling it.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM

OP you asked about Downtowns.

DT Ilion went uder the bulldozer in the early 1970's. The Fays Mall plaza was nice for awhile. Now its doctors offices. The Main St was nice my mother says, she is telling the manes of all the places, Freemans, Grants, and I can't type that fast and have never heard of them. Its all gone. Just an Aldis and Dollar General.

Downtown Herkimer is a cross between abandonned buildings and tattoo parlors and IIRC a head shops. Where a factory stood in front of where I went to HS is a Walmart and an Applebees. Outside town is a Lowes. Thats it folks. Even the large bank they built on Main and State is abanndonned.

Little Falls is the place we made fun of. I went to BOCES with some kids from LF and thats all I know.

Frankfort I know nothing about except they had a good place to eat, Thurstons. Not sure if its still there.

In Herkimer eat at Yetty's. Upside down pizza is da bomb.

Mohawk was always just a bedroom for Herkimer.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Nope, not from googling, but from being there. It's always been a blue collar area.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 PM

I know every inch of every street in Herkimer. Every inch of the trolley bridge and until they torn it down, the Butts bridge. I was born in the since closed hospital and baptized in the since torn down church. Three of the four schools I went to are senior housing. The closed bank on Main I can tell you the name of the man they bought the land from and all three of his daughters. The huge abandonned Standard building that stands on Rt 5 was one of my playgrounds. I know where all the MDS plants are. Herkimer is an important part of computer history. All my non-living paternal family is buried there. Unless the fish have changed since my great grandfather found the holes I know all the hot spots on the West Canada.

Herkimer is nothing like it was. Nothing at all. It needs jobs and paint and roofs.

Ilion I can get around some, well actually but less so.

Mohawk less so. Its just houses. They seem nice but who knows about the inside.

For history the Valley is one of the best spots in NY. For present its just sad. Not scary, I don't know the crime numbers but I would be stunned if they were high. Except the stuff from college kids none would be my guess.

Houses should be cheap. We sold my grandfathers house for pennies. It had new paint and a roof which turned out to be poor investments.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 12,094 times
Here's what I think-
Mohawk- Nice, not much of a downtown. Old houses, gas station, tobacco shop, pizza resteraunt (Paesano's
is good, when doors are open in the summer, you can smell it in downtown) ice cream parlor, car dealership, barbers. Not bad looking compared to the others
Ilion- Not really well maintained. Sure, it's got some stuff to do, but it's more convenient, and way less seedy then Herkimer. It's pretty sad seeing Remington Arms look the way it is. Some jobs are in Alabama now >
I think Ilion and Mohawk are starting to come back JUST A LITTLE BIT. A few new shops are coming in. Like I said earlier, convenient too, to Aldi's, and others. This is the last thing. If you are moving to Ilion or Mohawk, it's a merger (Mohawk CSD and Ilion CSD merged together) Mohawk is home of 1 elementary school and middle school, Ilion is home of 1 elementary school and the high school. GO THUNDER!!!
Little Falls- Downtown is the least depressed. The buildings are being painted currently. It's starting to look like a good ol' small town again. But people there do not really maintain their houses well.
Poland, Middleville, and Newport- Just drive through towns. They don't have much of a downtown at all, but at least people take pride in keeping their house looking nice.
Jordanville- basically like Poland, Middleville, and Newport but less maintained houses.
Richfield Springs- There's a well maintained half of town and there's one that's not. The downtown isn't well maintained. But coming up Route 167 and Route 20 west the houses are well maintained, old, and beautiful.
Frankfort- I don't really know much about there. I really don't go there at all. I take I-90 instead
I saved the worst for last. HERKIMER.
All I can say is wow. The place looks like crap. Nobody is taking care of ANYTHING there. The buildings are all falling apart. There's tattoo parlors every freaking place you look. Head shops. And a hardware store. And creepy thug people wandering downtown. 1 out of 4 houses take care of their house and property in herkimer. It's just getting worse every year. The thuggish people live there because of cheap housing and close to their family member in jail. Herkimer is just plain depressing. Basically there's 1 nice section. W German Street and the area by Herkimer College. That's it. That's where no thuggish people step foot. I hope you take my advice about these places, and it's the truth. Hope u decide soon and good luck

Old 07-11-2015, 08:19 PM

10 posts, read 12,094 times
By the way, here's what I reccomend for herkimer county-
If you're looking for a really small town (0-999) here they are
Poland, Middleville, Newport, Jordanville
If you're looking for a small town (1000-3000)
Frankfort, Mohawk, Richfield Springs
If you're looking for a bigger small town (3000-10000)
Little Falls, Herkimer, Ilion.
I reccomend for little small town Middleville or Poland
I reccomend for small town Richfield Springs for cheap huge house and Mohawk for cheap houses and stuff to do in downtown
I reccomend for big small town Little Falls or Ilion. definitely not herkimer. Ilion is the same as little falls but bigger and they take better care of houses.
Herkimers downtown either needs one of these 2 things ( I hope number 1 works.)
1. Superman and a ton if construction companies and contractors
2. A lighter and gasoline
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or