U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,260 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm moving back to Manhattan after 3 years away, and I've realized that the only way I can handle NYC is if I have an escape.

I have friends with houses near Phoenicia, but they mostly like to drink and mingle. That's fine, but I don't need a scene and I can't really afford one.

I can probably come up with $50K tops. I just need a base, somewhere where I could keep some bikes, a canoe, my deer rifle, and maybe grow some tomatoes.

If you have any suggestions for where I should look for a place that is under 3 hours from Manhattan, and isn't too far from state land for hunting, I'd love some suggestions. I don't need nightlife, or a scene, or anything fancy, just an acre or two in the woods so I can enjoy the outdoors with my family.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 AM

715 posts, read 2,148,317 times
A massive NYC escape location is Cragsmoor, NY in Ulster County. Tons of NYC-by-week-mountain-by-weekend-ers. I do know of one person who actually commutes from Cragsmoor to NYC daily (over 90 miles!). I'm afraid it is likely out of your price range, but perhaps worth a look as it fits your other specifications. Other than this, look in to Sullivan County and Ulster Counties. Maybe something outside of New Paltz for Ulster, or you could go further north near Phoenicia / Zena / Hurley. As for Sullivan...Mountaindale and Fallsburg are probably worth looking in to.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,260 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or