Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,665 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving to Poughkeepsie with my wife. We hear bad things about the city but good things about the town. We are considering a house in the 100 block of Academy St. Is that the city or the town? We also love good food, how are the restaurants in the area? Are the fitness facilities decent? Can you buy a place on the river and have a boat? Thanks so much for any info in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
Pougkeepsie (City of) was bad when I was a student 20 years ago. If you go to the NY forums you probably can get some more information. People have posted about the area before.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM

45 posts, read 261,546 times
that is not a very good area. it is very close to downtown and i wouldn't want to be there at night. during the day would be scary enough.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 19,802 times
I was born and raised in Poughkeepsie. Poughkeepsie is not a bad place to live. It is just certain areas that you need to avoid. I would not suggest moving to the 100 Block of Academy Street. That is considered the City of Poughkeepsie. About two blocks from Academy Street (on the corner of Montgomery Street and South Ave.) is a small store and gas shop where alot drugs are sold and also across the street from there is the projects. Alot of homes on Academy are being broken into. I grew up on the southside of Poughkeepsie (across the street from Poughkeepsie High School, which is considered the City of Poughkeepsie) and I loved it. We never had any problems, never were victims of crime. But I suggest purchasing a home in the town of Poughkeepsie (in the areas of Lagrange, or Spackenkill) or even in the city of Poughkeepsie for instance near Krieger School (Hooker Ave.)

I left the area 4 years ago and just recently went back for a visit and the area is building up. There are some good restauarants on Rte 9 South (South Road). There are also two malls on Rte. 9, The South Hills Mall and The Poughkeepsie Galleria. There is also the Culinary Institute on Rte. 9 North in Hyde Park.

Poughkeepsie is a wonderful area with plenty to do. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM

88 posts, read 530,409 times
Hi there,

I live in Wappingers Falls (which is one town over from Poughkeepsie).

That area your considering is the city of Poughkeepsie. You want to look for homes that have the 12603 zip code (NOT 12601). The 12601 location is not the best area to raise a family/ live. The school district there is not very good. I would suggest that you look into the town of Poughkeepsie (12603), Wappingers Falls (12590), Fishkill (12524) or East Fishkill, Lagrange or Arlington. These areas are all close by but are much better neighborhoods.

There are plenty of resturants in the area. All over Route 9 mostly.

There are several fitness centers in these areas. I go to Planet Fitness which is only about $15 month. There is also All Sport, Mike Ortega's Fitness, Gold's Gym which are the bigger gyms with more classes and ammendities (which cost significantly more $50-80).

I don't know about buying a home on the hudson river. There are some areas in Dutchess County that have that... not in Poughkeepsie though. People tend to have their boats in their driveway here.

I hope this was helpful

Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,017 times
I am starting classes at The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park in October. I see your suggestions were 4 years ago; do you have any suggestions for the area today? I am a mature, female student so I want something quiet and affordable.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,345 times
Generally follow what was already stated. Avoid The City of Poughkeepsie..try the town or the other locations (LaGrange / Fishkill / Wappingers).

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygbentley View Post
I am starting classes at The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park in October. I see your suggestions were 4 years ago; do you have any suggestions for the area today? I am a mature, female student so I want something quiet and affordable.
poughkeepsie is different now however avoid the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York