Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,504,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
You know what, Cookie? The folks in Schuyler County are pretty poor, but you're darn right when you say they're good.

They really are. I mean, for the most part. These are some of the nicest people.

Which doesn't exactly support the theory that poor people do bad things with guns.
When people tell me that all New Yorkers are rude, selfish and crass I always roll my eyes. They have obviously never met the good people of the hills in the southern tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,782,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I strongly agree NY is by far the most repressive state but mildly disagree that the city is the problem.

I'm pretty far Upstate and well West of the city. The problem is one word, Democrats. I have a democrat for city councilman, mayor, assemblyman, state senator, congressman and both senators. It don't get any more blue then this part of CNY.

The number one thing that affects freedom is taxes. If your not free to spend the money you earn yourself you are controlled. This state takes so much of my money almost every other decision is based off that fact in some way. Its mid-June and I'm not sure we have hit Tax Freedom Day yet in NY.

Unions are also very anti-freedom and IIRC NY is number one in union membership also.

We have gun control laws beyond belief. About half of NY's people can own rifles and shotguns but handguns are taboo. Even among the people I know Upstate that hunt and owe long guns fear of handguns is strong. I am in the process of fighting NY's insane gun laws now and I live in a small rural county. The guys I work with think pistols are for cops and gangbangers in Syracuse and what the heck is wrong with me for wanting to exercise my rights.

I can go on and on about this police/welfare state but the list in the OP sum's it up nicely.
Dems where I live (my town, not county) are DemsInNameOnly. It is just a party to put on a ballot -- because NY has only major parties win.I would like to lose the senators (Gillibrand just became a shadow for Schumer) and even now my congresswoman (she was better as our county clerk and also pro-gun), but my 2 reps in the state are -- in a Dem county -- Republican. Lots of conservative places elect people based on the platform, not the party. That is here anyway.

I think you have no idea of the actual reality of handguns. You had trouble finding out the permit process or finding an NRA class in another post. Our whole family basically has permits and not just for target and hunting. I have a family member who is an NRA handgun instructor. I know very few people in my area ( rural, outside Buffalo) where people with long guns fear handguns -- unless those people are criminals.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
New York: A 'Blue' State with a good reason to be one.
Solely because NYC is in it and is overloaded with population to sink the rest of us..

I am very proud to live in a conservative district at the other end of the state!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Can college kids vote where they go to school??

If the kid establishes a true residence in the area (like an apt or house) and isn't registered in their hometown and has proof of address (like utilities and lease in their name), they can register in the college area, since they can prove it is their home. Best if the license is from there as well.If you still live at home ( legally), you should forget it. (I voted here in the early 1970s, but I never planned on going back to the NY area and had never registered there)

Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
When people tell me that all New Yorkers are rude, selfish and crass I always roll my eyes. They have obviously never met the good people of the hills in the southern tier.
Make that the good people of the rural areas of upstate NY....

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Make that the good people of the rural areas of upstate NY....
Can do!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,254,921 times
We live in two very different Upstate NY's.

I live in a small town, under 11K in Madison County.

I was out of town for awhile and this is what I came home to.

Police probing how standoff turned deadly - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch, Utica, New York

Thats 10 miles of farms from Oneida.

This is the other day, just up the street from me. I knew they was selling dope but not that they were making it. Not sure why they hit this place because at least a dozen spots seem much worse.

Three arrested during investigation into Oneida meth lab | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News.

That is at least the 4th raid this Spring. They hit in the early AM when I go to work and I've seen most of them go down.

Thats my NY. My Daughter lives near that last place and I park in front of that house all the time. The place across the street was raided last week.

Thats my NY. Inbred rednecks smoking meth.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM

270 posts, read 730,074 times
Yes Sean...we know that because of what's going on in your community, that that somehow taints the entire state of NY.

Maybe I should be suspicious of my neighbor...you know, the one that runs the post office? The one who's son was just released from a Dubai prison? Yeah...I bet anything there's more than clothes and textile goods in those packages I see sliding across the postal counter.

Or maybe...our new home that we're waiting to close on...the one with the Mennonite neighbors...maybe I should be suspicious of them and their blasted cherry pies! I bet there's some double secret meth brewing going on in their basements!

Whatever.

Back home in RI...one of our communities, Coventry, is a lovely town. Much of it is more middle class, though if they lived here, they'd be upper class because their income certainly supports it. But in RI, housing prices as they are...they're considered "middle class." Anyways...beautiful community. My dad lives out there.

Not long ago, in one of the really nice parts of town, there was a meth lab busted. And a few years prior to that, there was a pot growing ring busted.

Guess what? That kind of crap happens everywhere. It's even in good ol' Vermont with the upper crust folks!

Around here in the Finger Lakes...I think the bigger issue is alcoholism. I grew up around some alcholics and am pretty good at spotting them even without seeing them drink. And there's quite a few around here.

That concerns me...my children and I drive on these roads. But it is what it is.

There's no such thing as Utopia....every place has it's vices.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,533,310 times
Quote:
eek.

As someone who has lived in Colorado, Texas, PA & Maryland I assure you NY isn't the only place with that problem. When I lived in Colorado Springs (in the mid-late 90's) which is a very affluent city, it was not uncommon to see 4-5 meth labs busted every couple of weeks.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
There are also father's raping daughters, people getting violently drunk, and every other negative aspect of hickery. But you can find elements of that anywhere.

Rural NY may have all the negative stereotypes of the hillbilly and redneck, but it also has a large number of the positive. The down home folks, the good cooking, and even some real tight communities.

I agree with you for sure, that these bad seeds infest NY. I am personally related to some! But it is not the only flavor offered in the ice cream stand of NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York