U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM

570 posts, read 605,858 times
DC is VERY different from Corning, lol! I can see pros and cons of both. Just be prepared to 'downshift' and go with the slower pace in the Corning area, and you'll do just fine with it . And at least we are close enough to DC to make it a good weekend trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM

8,164 posts, read 9,463,549 times
yeah - if you are expecting DC you are setting yourself up for disapointment

take corning for what it is and what it offers - only you will be able to know if that works for you

Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM

122 posts, read 175,439 times
Hello, thanks for your responses. I am definitely not expecting DC (or want that anyways). I am originally from Buffalo and ideally want to be closer to family, lower cost of living (we can at least afford a single family house in safe area), pay for our expenses and still have money for fun and savings. Here in DC it is so expensive and I am getting tired of the traffic congestion. I would definitely welcome a slower, easier pace of life. I am also an outdoorsy type person (love hiking in the Shenandoah, kayaking, bird watching, etc). But, we are also people that enjoy eating out at restaurants and going to cultural events and the zoo. We have small kids so that would also have to be an area with stuff for them too. And the other requirement is that there are good health care options in case we get sick and for me to work (I am in healthcare).

Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,463,549 times
Corning has some OK medical facilities - Elmira is decent as well .... probably the Strong-est would be in Rochester (ugh ... please forgive me for that)

plenty of outdoorsy options around the corning area .... restaurants are a bit limited, but there are some decent options and the corning wegmans is probably one of the better grocery stores in the area

for cultural events there are some thoughout the region - the clemens center in elmira usually has a good schedule and places like rochester also have some good draws

not sure what the closest, best zoo would be

biggest traffic concern you'll have are the speed traps - no congestion to really speak of

Old 06-29-2011, 12:58 PM

570 posts, read 605,858 times
I think we have visited most of the zoos in upstate/western NY, thanks to my daughter Rochester and Binghamton would be closest to Corning; followed by Syracuse and Buffalo. Rochester's zoo is very good and easy to get to.

Culturally, the Clemens Center in Elmira has a lot to offer (a lot for this area, anyway!)
http://www.clemenscenter.com/

The Corning Museum of Glass also sponsors some very nice events, and 171 Cedar Arts Center offers instruction in the arts for children and adults.

Corning does have it's own hospital (they are building a new one at some point, but haven't started it yet; I think they are still deciding the exact location). In addition, Elmira has two hospitals (Arnot Ogden and St. Joseph's) and Guthrie/Robert Packer in Sayre isn't that far away (~30 min on the interstate). Strong in Rochester is the level one regional trauma center.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM

30,808 posts, read 35,867,649 times
I believe that Corning has the Orchestra of the Southern Finger Lakes. Elmira has a minor league hockey team. Ithaca isn't too far and offers quite a bit for it's size. Home | osfl

Home Page

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 PM

3,159 posts, read 5,363,786 times
Restaurants - Corning might not have too many but a dinner out in Ithaca is not out of the question even on a weeknight.

Hiking - The Finger Lakes Trail (550 miles long) passes just north and there are several branches off of it including the new Crystal Hills Trail that passes through the west end of Painted Post village even. Nearby Tioga County, PA has hundreds of miles of hiking trails, mostly on Tioga State Forest but also others, including the Mid State Trail that connrects to the aforementioned Crystal Hills.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 AM

7,017 posts, read 2,954,039 times
just to give you a heads-up-I86 used to be rte 17. Probably still is on most maps, and to most locals. I think most if not all the rte 17 signs are down but I did notice a few '17A' or' business 17' the beginning of the summer in the Endicott area. I don't know if these have been changed or not.

Just thought you should know..........

Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 8,346 times
Some people may say that the Twin Tiers is really rural, but it's honestly not that bad. Corning is a medium-sized town that has a lot to do relative to its size. There's the Corning Museum of Glass, the Rockwell Museum of Western Art, etc. There's also a lot of good stores to shop at and good restaurants. Sure, Corning is not a major city by any means, but it's not in the middle of nowhere.
I think Corning is less than 2.5 hours away from Buffalo (It's probably more if you're traveling to the northern side of Buffalo). It's about an hour away from Ithaca (Cornell University) and fairly close to Watkins Glen, Buttermilk Falls, Tunkhannock Falls, and 2 hours from Syracuse and Rochester.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 8,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Hello, thanks for your responses. I am definitely not expecting DC (or want that anyways). I am originally from Buffalo and ideally want to be closer to family, lower cost of living (we can at least afford a single family house in safe area), pay for our expenses and still have money for fun and savings. Here in DC it is so expensive and I am getting tired of the traffic congestion. I would definitely welcome a slower, easier pace of life. I am also an outdoorsy type person (love hiking in the Shenandoah, kayaking, bird watching, etc). But, we are also people that enjoy eating out at restaurants and going to cultural events and the zoo. We have small kids so that would also have to be an area with stuff for them too. And the other requirement is that there are good health care options in case we get sick and for me to work (I am in healthcare).
The cost of living in Corning is fairly low, so that definitely shouldn't be a concern. If you're outdoorsy, than the Finger Lakes area is for you. There's so many good parks, hiking trails, nature preserves, and beautiful scenic countryside in the area. About a lot of things to do with children, Corning has a decent amount of things to do, plus in Elmira there's the Clemens Center and Jackals Hockey. Horseheads has Harris Hill (a small fun-park with 6 kiddie rides, go-karts, swimming pools, mini-golf, arcade, etc.) and the National Soaring Museum. And as far as healthcare, there's Corning Hospital, the Arnot Hospital in Elmira, and St. Joseph's Hospital in Elmira, so you'd definitely find employment somewhere in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York