Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,492,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Nobody moves to Upstate New York because of weather unless they like snowmobiling. I love it in the summer too, but the winter is very, very long in comparison to most of the country.
That is true, but the snow is less intrusive if you live on the Allegheny plateau (Southern tier and neighboring areas in other counties).

If snow is one's concern.

It also seems less cold in the hills than it was on the Ontario lowlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,960,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That is true, but the snow is less intrusive if you live on the Allegheny plateau (Southern tier and neighboring areas in other counties).

If snow is one's concern.

It also seems less cold in the hills than it was on the Ontario lowlands.
Compared to Tulsa it is going to seem REALLY REALLY COLD, regardless. I'd warn the OP about the weather on LI, nevermind upstate.

A Swedish aquaintance of mine who had lived in a half dozen European cities commented on LI weather:
"It's like Berlin in the winter, and Rome in the summer"

Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM

92,122 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Compared to Tulsa it is going to seem REALLY REALLY COLD, regardless. I'd warn the OP about the weather on LI, nevermind upstate.

A Swedish aquaintance of mine who had lived in a half dozen European cities commented on LI weather:
"It's like Berlin in the winter, and Rome in the summer"
It depends, as some winters can be relatively mild while others can be relatively bad.

On the flip side, summers are pretty hot in Oklahoma, most likely. So, it "evens out", in a sense.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,518,262 times
Quote:
You do realize that Upstate NY weather sucks, right?

Here's a run down of some average monthly temps

January

Syracuse
Avg high: 31
Ave low: 15

Tulsa:

March
Syracuse
Tulsa

November
Syracuse
Tulsa

Do you like having 3 or 4 extra months of Winter?

And that doesn't take into account less days of sunlight and the huge amounts of snow.
Ever been to the Midwest? Specifically Tornado Alley? I have family from there and they thank God every time they hear or read about a tornado hitting near their families and it misses. They would take a year round winter over having to worry about tornadoes.

And many people actually DO enjoy winter! Skiing - cross country and downhill, snowmobiling, ice fishing, winter festivals, ice festivals, watching snow fall, hot chocolate by a fire, making snowmen, snowball fights, making snow angels, licking icicles off the roof, excited when the crocuses start to pop up in the snow, when Phil sees his shadow, etc. A change of seasons is something you don't understand unless you grow up with it and move away unless of course you're a farmer or someone really into gardening.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM

20 posts, read 34,394 times
In regard to weather differences. I live basically next door to CookieSoon. I moved here in South Louisiana from Illinois where the winters were fairly brutal as well. I have hated almost every day of the past 12 years I have lived here. I was more comfortable with 10-20 degree weather there than I am with 40-45 degree weather here. Most don't believe me until they experience it here. It is damp and cold in the winter. It chills you to the bones. You can't get warm. You never know how to dress as it can change drastically during the day. You go from cold weather to a brief stint of really nice weather right into oppressive hot weather which seems to last forever. You then have a brief stint of nice weather then back to the cold.

I would so much rather deal with the snow and cold to have my kids enjoy a better quality of life as the deep south pretty well stinks. Crime, corruption, chemical plants as far as you can see and smell, it just plain sucks. Schools are overall crap. I have to live in the most expensive area of the metro to have fairly decent schools for my kids and even here isn't great. The crime rate per capita is close to the highest in the U.S. as I work city EMS so I get to see it first hand daily.

You come to expect that in a metro area but you see it in the rural areas as well. That was my major culture shock when I moved here. People in towns of 2000 people or less routinely shooting, stabbing, raping, killing each other. Not rarely or occasionally, but frequently. I can't wait to get away from here. Yeah, I know no place is Nirvana and many places have issues with crime, corruption etc, but it is a way of life here. It is expected and accepted. Hell, the former governor who was as crooked as they came just got out of prison. He is a celebrity and still gets the celebrity treatment around the area and on the local news. It is amazing.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,773,799 times
As to the jobs, I think if you were looking into oil/gas, you might have an easier time in PA. PA taxes are, I believe, lower. Travel time to LI > just about the same.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 PM

31 posts, read 45,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on what you can do and unemployment rates in Upstate NY are lower than most. So, it comes down to doing your research.

WHAAAAT?!!!! You MADE this one up. This is pure fantasy. Chronic underemployment is whats on the menu here and it has been for 2 decades now.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaItors Are Liars View Post
WHAAAAT?!!!! You MADE this one up. This is pure fantasy. Chronic underemployment is whats on the menu here and it has been for 2 decades now.
It depends on your line of work and education though. If you are talking about manufacturing, then sure, but there are other fields that are doing fine. Unemployment rates in Upstate metros are lower than the national average. That's not made up, but if you are chasing smokestacks, then I can understand your reply.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM

31 posts, read 45,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on your line of work and education though. If you are talking about manufacturing, then sure, but there are other fields that are doing fine. Unemployment rates in Upstate metros are lower than the national average. That's not made up, but if you are chasing smokestacks, then I can understand your reply.
Now you're parsing occupations? BZZZZZT.... wrong. Unemployment is unemployment irrespective of occupation.

Why is it when someone speaks the truth about this area, someone trots out flawed logic like, "it's not as bad here as other areas"?

The truth is that the chronically underemployed are not counted and the fact remains that chronic underemployment is what's on the menu here and has been for decades.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaItors Are Liars View Post
Now you're parsing occupations? BZZZZZT.... wrong. Unemployment is unemployment irrespective of occupation.

Why is it when someone speaks the truth about this area, someone trots out flawed logic like, "it's not as bad here as other areas"?

The truth is that the chronically underemployed are not counted and the fact remains that chronic underemployment is what's on the menu here and has been for decades.
So, you mean that NY is the only state with underemployment?

Also, take a look at the unemployment rates and there are certain industries that are doing than others in NY. Central New York Jobs

Also, home markets in Upstate NY have been steady. So, there aren't generally the booms and busts that have occurred in many other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York