Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times

Advertisements

What makes dutchess loop service so horrid what will make it better???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM

what do you ppl in dutchess think

Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
As I did a internship there, I can say that the funding is really lacking to make this a great service to the residents here. They run on a very tight budget and it's hard to do the runs that would make it easier for the public to use. Also remember-it was never set up to transport people to their jobs like Westchester or the City does. It was more a link to the malls and to the train stations. And it pretty much has stayed that way. In all honesty-to live in Dutchess a car is almost a necessity as the LOOP isn't going to be changing anytime soon.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
As I did a internship there, I can say that the funding is really lacking to make this a great service to the residents here. They run on a very tight budget and it's hard to do the runs that would make it easier for the public to use. Also remember-it was never set up to transport people to their jobs like Westchester or the City does. It was more a link to the malls and to the train stations. And it pretty much has stayed that way. In all honesty-to live in Dutchess a car is almost a necessity as the LOOP isn't going to be changing anytime soon.
There is really no CBD in Dutchess County (not even in Poughkeepsie) since all the jobs areas are spread out and traffic is really not an issue.

Route 9D and Route 9 can be bad during the rush hour, but it's NOTHING like what you see on Long Island, NYC or Southern Westchester.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
There is really no CBD in Dutchess County (not even in Poughkeepsie) since all the jobs areas are spread out and traffic is really not an issue.

Route 9D and Route 9 can be bad during the rush hour, but it's NOTHING like what you see on Long Island, NYC or Southern Westchester.
Remember until about 1995-Dutchess still had about 500 farms. That number is about 50 now. It was spread out in terms of how things were located. Harlem Valley-had the hospital-most LOOP riders came from Poughkeepsie to go out there. Then you had IBM, Texaco and Fairchild as the largest employers on the southern side.

After you get past Marist-Hyde Park starts the thinning out-to the east-it's east of the Taconic. The southern half is where the majority of the population growth is and let's face it-new businesses are breaking down doors to set up shop here these days. The LOOP will probably never change from the service now-I drove the late run out of the Poughkeepsie train station back in the early 90's for the LOOP-and it's still the same run now as it was back then.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Remember until about 1995-Dutchess still had about 500 farms. That number is about 50 now. It was spread out in terms of how things were located. Harlem Valley-had the hospital-most LOOP riders came from Poughkeepsie to go out there. Then you had IBM, Texaco and Fairchild as the largest employers on the southern side.

After you get past Marist-Hyde Park starts the thinning out-to the east-it's east of the Taconic. The southern half is where the majority of the population growth is and let's face it-new businesses are breaking down doors to set up shop here these days. The LOOP will probably never change from the service now-I drove the late run out of the Poughkeepsie train station back in the early 90's for the LOOP-and it's still the same run now as it was back then.
where is texaco and fairchild?? wouldn't the dutchess loop be more useful if it merged with poughkeepsie citibus. And most of the east west lines were contracted out to lepprechaun and kelley transit and such.

would an MTA takeover work??

Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
where is texaco and fairchild?? wouldn't the dutchess loop be more useful if it merged with poughkeepsie citibus. And most of the east west lines were contracted out to lepprechaun and kelley transit and such.

would an MTA takeover work??
Texaco was in Glenham-it closed in the 90's. Fairchild was on Myers Corners Rd and closed during the 80's.

Please don't turn Dutchess into ANYTHING that the MTA would need to come here. They run things like garbage. This isn't NYC or Westchester-I wish people would stop moving here expecting everything to be like what they had down below in those lower counties. Dutchess with the exception of the lower half is still fairly rural. Leprechaun already transports people to Westchester-south, Kelly Transit again-another city run company.

Dutchess will hopefully never turn into little Westchester/NYC with their busing. The MTA is mismanaged and has drivers that should scare people to even step a foot on the bus with-they aren't very particular about who they hire. Thanks-but the MTA can stay the heck out of our area-they all ready stick it to us small business owners by taxing us.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Texaco was in Glenham-it closed in the 90's. Fairchild was on Myers Corners Rd and closed during the 80's.

Please don't turn Dutchess into ANYTHING that the MTA would need to come here. They run things like garbage. This isn't NYC or Westchester-I wish people would stop moving here expecting everything to be like what they had down below in those lower counties. Dutchess with the exception of the lower half is still fairly rural. Leprechaun already transports people to Westchester-south, Kelly Transit again-another city run company.

Dutchess will hopefully never turn into little Westchester/NYC with their busing. The MTA is mismanaged and has drivers that should scare people to even step a foot on the bus with-they aren't very particular about who they hire. Thanks-but the MTA can stay the heck out of our area-they all ready stick it to us small business owners by taxing us.
well dutchess needs to work with others to make UCAT will greatly help. My proposal reduces strain on the network allowing then to do more with less as proven alone they are crap. I have saw how MTA runs buses its nothing like what you say. BUT I am well aware northern dutchess warrents 90 to 60 min frequencies on service but ppl wont use what doesn't run. UCAT can take their poughkeepsie line by extending it to pawling service is now usable but less strain on dutchess. MTA may be mismanaged but do they cut during good times??? NO.!!! true the system doesn't need to run like lower westchester. But you know there is a problem when you have a bihourly bus that's crushloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!! all rte 9 buses I saw were crushloaded. Let me be straight busing in westchester is SUPERIOR to dutchess don't go spitting crap about how our bus system is run. PPL in dutchess know that the bus system is FAIL I asked over 100 ppl they said the same thing. If The system was more shared and coordinated it wouldn't be so unusable. If MTA leased buses to dutchess at least ur payroll tax won't be for nothing. If the rtes were contracted out to others then there would be enough buses available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York