Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 10,437 times

Advertisements

I'm from Queens and Brooklyn and live in diversity and I myself am a mix of ethnic backgrounds. Now I live in LI in a family member's apt paying cheap rent so my husband and I can save for our own home. We are thinking Rockland County but we know it's mainly white out there. Now here where we are our white neighbors are super racist and have called me a sp*c and him a sandn*gger when he is actually Italian but doesn't look it (mostly a Queens kid has no connection to his Italian heritage). I have read many articles naming Long Island the most racist suburb in America and I agree, first hand I can say the majority of people out here are.
We don't want to buy a house out in Rockland and encounter the same things. We pretty much feel that our first experience living in an all white area without the diversity we have in Queens is pretty bad and has set up our ideas of what it would be like to live in Rockland county which is also not as diverse in Queens. All white people aren't racist-=we aren't, but I have yet to encounter other white people that aren't racist on this podonk
island with way too high taxes.
MY QUESTION IS-Is Rockland County better than the Island? Are the people better? Are the people more educated? Is there diversity? Are the school districts good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Look into Nyack, Nanuet and the North Rockland SD. Suffern might not be that bad either. Spring Valley is diverse, but the reputation of the schools isn't as good as the other districts. North Rockland has a big Hispanic population of mainly Dominicans in the Haverstraws. Personally look at the Nyack SD area. Particularly Nyack, Upper Nyack and Central Nyack.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyAnn12185 View Post
I'm from Queens and Brooklyn and live in diversity and I myself am a mix of ethnic backgrounds. Now I live in LI in a family member's apt paying cheap rent so my husband and I can save for our own home. We are thinking Rockland County but we know it's mainly white out there. Now here where we are our white neighbors are super racist and have called me a sp*c and him a sandn*gger when he is actually Italian but doesn't look it (mostly a Queens kid has no connection to his Italian heritage). I have read many articles naming Long Island the most racist suburb in America and I agree, first hand I can say the majority of people out here are.
We don't want to buy a house out in Rockland and encounter the same things. We pretty much feel that our first experience living in an all white area without the diversity we have in Queens is pretty bad and has set up our ideas of what it would be like to live in Rockland county which is also not as diverse in Queens. All white people aren't racist-=we aren't, but I have yet to encounter other white people that aren't racist on this podonk
island with way too high taxes.
MY QUESTION IS-Is Rockland County better than the Island? Are the people better? Are the people more educated? Is there diversity? Are the school districts good?
I am sorry to hear that what part of LI??? I am black and have traveled to LI several times and haven't encountered racism at all. Which part of LI are you at??? O and rockland is diverse plus rockland's surprise is that they have a very good transit system I was shocked how frequent some of their buses are and they have lines all over rockland and service to NJ also. If going on 287 ur better off driving.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:07 AM

10 posts, read 15,973 times
Your quote "I'm from Queens and Brooklyn and live in diversity and I myself am a mix of ethnic backgrounds. Now I live in LI in a family member's apt paying cheap rent so my husband and I can save for our own home. We are thinking Rockland County but we know it's mainly white out there" sounds as if you are the racist! If a white person even dared to say something like that....wow!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:10 PM

106 posts, read 251,440 times
Long Island sucks and is full of snobby people

Old 07-04-2011, 05:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Question Think Hard About Your Move

I was born and raised in Queens and made the move to Rockland because I could not afford a home and the taxes on Long Island....What I found was that I had left all my family and friends behind and basically had to start over...and even though it was only 44 miles to Queens and 44 back......I did not factor in the 2 bridges and costs of commuting back to Queens to see friends and family...or the traffic......a true nightmare...so no matter what you think or what you have been promised...you will be losing most of your friends and seeing your family less and less......perhaps a good thing!!!

As far as racism...from what I have seen everyone is excepted for who they are...and living in a townhouse community...I can say that kids of all races seem to be playing well with each other...

The one thing I would do before you make any decisions...would be to spend a few days at a hotel or with friends and try the AM and PM commute...especially the Friday PM commute returning to Rockland...

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
There are some parts of Rockland that are incredibly diverse, in my experience i've rarely experienced harsh ignorance out there. You should take a drive up there and check it out for yourself, spend a little time in different communities and shop at some of the malls.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 11,645 times
Smile reply

Rockland county , is a great place to move. White, Black , or what ever the people are nice. O live in Congers ...

Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,563 times
Wow Lilyann, as a Long Islander that's disappointing to hear about such outright hostility. What area of the Island are you living in right now? That's a shame you had (are having) such a bad experience here. I don't know about the majority of people here being racist, that seems like a pretty broad brush, but I've also never read those articles you mentioned. You're definitely right about the taxes here though, they are out of control. Good luck with your search, you never know, you may end up missing LI if you leave!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,181 times
Rockland county is about as racist as you can get. Don't move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York