Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
You give the impression that somehow homosexuals usurp a Mormon right to polygamy.
While they do not require polygamy, neither Judaism nor Islam prohibit polygamy.

Only Christianity bans polygamy.

So, it is not just Mormons that are affected by the unconstitutional ban on polygamy.

The ban against polygamy was and remains a violation of the separation of church and state as it codifies Christian religious law into civil law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Ro-Dailin...

I think I've got the mix up sorted out here, apparenty I committed the cardinal sin of giving the impression I was stacking MORMON UTAH polygamy up against same sex marriage rather than just referring to the concept of polygamy in general. Apparently at least for some they are horses of completely different colors. My error, the reason I mentioned Utah polygamy is because as far as I know it is the only form of polygamy that has a history regarding governmental decisions made on a state level.

You seem to have no problem with the concept of polygamy/polyandry when taken out of Utah and Mormonism, nor do you know of any gay person who is against it. Apparently your only argument for it to remain illegal is so the women involved can better soak the system as seperate entities. So why do you have a problem comparing it's legal course compared to the course of same sex marriage in a moral and/or ethical comparison? And how again is someone who wishes to compare the two by default being someone who is attacking same sex marriage?

You pose some good exmples of discrimination/persecution of gay people in present day society. I just do not think there are enough examples of polygamy/polyandry discrimintation/persecution to compare. There are obviously more gays than polygamists/polyandrists out there.

Again, I am not a proponent of polygamy/polyandry, I'm not trying to further their causes or sell the concepts to anyone. But I do stay the course in my opinion that societal gains of two same sex individuals regarding marriage making greater headway over multiple spouse heterosexual couplings is a comparable curiosity.

And thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
god has no place in us law we are not a nation of any official religion or was we founded as one separation of church and state spells it out so jerry cry well shut up wed who you love

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
It continues to amaze me that people are so ignorant of Gay people in this country. In my state of Virginia, the people approve of gay adoption but don't approve of gay marriage. If gay people adopt a child wouldn't it be a good thing that child have a legally binding status? Whatever one's personal view of gay marriage from an emotional or religious side it is irrelevant as far as the law is concerned. If there was language written into the Constitution by our founding fathers that forbids gay marriage specifically then the anti-gay marriage advocates would be stronger and they wouldn't be losing the battle over gay marriage. The support of gay marriage is growing even in Virginia. I applaud New York for its vote to end discrimination against this minority!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldabeenacontender View Post
The gay community holds the records for infidelity, alcohol / drug abuse, number of sexual partners, STDs, etc.
and have a life expectency more than a decade less than others due to the ills of this "lifestyle". I have not heard the same about a "polygamous lifestyle". It would be interesting to compare the two (based on data from where polygamy still exists in this world).

Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I can tell you same sex marriage has done nothing of the sort in Massachusetts, and it has been legal since 2004.

Not exactly.
How same-sex "marriage" affects Massachusetts

Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM

132 posts, read 249,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You pick a sensationalized website to further your point? There are all kinds of hate websites that will use all kinds of hyperbole. Apparently, you believe kids can be "taught" this sort of thing, and it needs to be discouraged. For those that insist on believing that, you are in luck, because there are many places you can move to where they still perpetuate ignorance.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
... there are many places you can move to where they still perpetuate ignorance.
There are many places that still perpetuate ignorance; but, that certainly depends on the definition of ignorance.

To prevent their children from becoming ignorant, many parents will now take their children out of the gov't schools and choose to place them in private schools, and that's a very good thing.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
and have a life expectency more than a decade less than others due to the ills of this "lifestyle".
The "evidence" claiming "almost a decade shorter lifespans" has been conducted by "researchers" with an agenda, usually associated with some kind of church, especially "Dr" Paul Cameron's junk-"science" writings that have been thoroughly debunked by nearly EVERY scientific association for using ridiculously flimsy research methodology and validity measures.

However, even if it were true that gay people lived 10 years less than heterosexuals, doesn't it sense to encourage bonded pairs by allowing legal marriage? We all know heterosexuals who stay in marriages simply to sustain the legal bond, long after they would have split if they were not married; if gay couples had the same legal pressure to remain in their relationships and make it work, rather than moving on to a new boyfriend/girlfriend every time there was trouble in the relationship, we would see a big drop in promiscuity in the gay community, just as we see less promiscuity among married heterosexuals than the unmarried. Ironically, even as gay people are denied legal marriage, the government spends millions to encourage marriage in some communities, such as inner-city ghettos, because they recognize that legal marriage strengthens a relationship and has a societal good. So, why don't they recognize this with same-sex couples? It's not as if they are going to "go straight" one way or the other--the choice is between living as a non-strengthened relationship or one that has legal teeth to help the partners responsible for each other, i.e. marriage.

So if promiscuity and sexually-transmitted disease are your biggest concern with gay people, then you should be first in line to help them codify monogamous relationships with a legal contract such as civil marriage.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
You pick a sensationalized website to further your point? There are all kinds of hate websites that will use all kinds of hyperbole. Apparently, you believe kids can be "taught" this sort of thing, and it needs to be discouraged. For those that insist on believing that, you are in luck, because there are many places you can move to where they still perpetuate ignorance.
Or how about letting the parents teach their kids these things and letting the schools teach them to read and write. What a concept, huh?

As for the website, MassResistance is respected by social conservatives and other traditionally minded people nationwide. Brian Cameker (sp?) is known for his no-nonsense exposure of the truth no matter how unpopular it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: