U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 19,718 times

Advertisements

Hello...

I am looking for some information on upstate, ny. We currently live on Long Island. Our school district is a very good one, but I am sick of the taxes and traffic.

We are trying to narrow down where we want to move. We have two kids ages 6 and 8. My main priority is the school districts. I am very unfamiliar with the upstate towns and counties.

If anyone can help, we would sure appreciate it. To narrow it down a bit, I would want something not in a big city, but where shopping would not be too far away. I also do not like "old houses".

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 10:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,523,415 times
Um..... what area of Upstate are you looking at? You are talking about geographicaly an area that's at least 10 times the size of Long Island. Taxes are still high upstate, but houses and just about everything else are much cheaper. The best school districts are in the suburbs of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany. Those are the 4 largest metros upstate. So if you live in their suburbs, you will have newer housing, good schools, and plenty of shopping, dining, recreation, and entertainment options.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,008 times
Default Haven't regretted moving from LI

We moved from LI in 1984 and have not regretted it for a moment. I was LI born and raised, and my roots will always be there. I love LI sound, beaches, and seafood - you can't take that out of me! But this was the best place to raise our kids, who were 10 and 8 when we moved. The pace is slower (we are not near any metropolitan areas). We traded stress and traffic for less "culture" and less shopping - we're about an hour from any shopping mall - but our kids definitely reaped the benefits of a gentler way of life. And we're not minding it much ourselves! The kids have had all the "farm" toys - horses, chickens, ducks, rabbits - and we've had some too! (Tractors, 4-wheelers...) Wages are considerably lower, but we paid so-o-o much less for our home - you'd consider it a down payment compared to LI prices. Our taxes are quite reasonable. And land - well, we've had from 26 to 77 acres through the years - unheard of on LI. Now we have 1 acre and that's just fine for us now that the kids are grown. Take the step! Visit the area, stay awhile, scout around... if you're like us, you'll adjust well and your kids will thank you for it!

Old 09-03-2006, 04:47 PM

262 posts, read 840,183 times
Would you mind being more specific about which places upstate you have lived?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,008 times
Default Former LI girl, now in western upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Would you mind being more specific about which places upstate you have lived?
Since we moved from LI, we have lived in:
Troy, PA
Bentley Creek, PA
Arkport, NY (Stephens Mills)
Avoca, NY
Bloomerville, NY (won't find it on a map - between Avoca & Haskinville)
Haskinville, NY (Hornell phone number, Fremont township, Cohocton mailing address, Avoca school district - talk about confusing!)
All the upstate western NY addresses were in Steuben County.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 PM

What about the Rochester area? We were doing research, and came across Pittsford. From reading some of the other threads on here, it sounds like it has a great school system, but it is very snooty, which I wouldnt do well with. Also, the taxes are right along the same as on Long Island, which is what we want to get away from.

Are there any other areas around there (Rochester) that have very good schools???

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,995 times
Default Find work before moving.

The Rochester area has been hemoraging jobs for a long time now, with not much promise for improvement in the near future. What used to be the major employer here, Eastman Kodak, no longer is. They've cut approximately 50,000 jobs here over the past 2 decades. The story is the same for most of the major employers here. (Unless you're in health care.) I've been forced to extend my 3 year job search to other areas, and my luck is starting to change. I have a major interview coming up with a large corporation that is not in Rochester.

The city of Rochester has lost over 10% of its population, due in part to people relocating after being unable to find decent work here. It also doesn't help that the crime rate is high and we're now considered the murder capital of the state. The crime index in Rochester is double the national average.

We have a regular flow of homeless people through our neighborhood, who take anything that's left loose in an unlocked car.

Aside from that, this is a nice place to live, especially if you're coming from a highly populated area. If you're the upwardly mobile yuppy type, you'll like Pittsford. If you're more comfortable living around a blue collar population, Gates has an EXCELLENT school system, and very affordable, well kept housing and nice neighborhoods.

My advice would be to make sure you have a job to land in before you move.

And to look here for a report card on every school in New York State:
http://emsc32.nysed.gov/repcrd2005/ This lists actual data collected by the state education department.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,523,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingfromli View Post
What about the Rochester area? We were doing research, and came across Pittsford. From reading some of the other threads on here, it sounds like it has a great school system, but it is very snooty, which I wouldnt do well with. Also, the taxes are right along the same as on Long Island, which is what we want to get away from.

Are there any other areas around there (Rochester) that have very good schools???

Thanks for the help!
As energreen as said, the city of Rochester in general is NOT where you want to raise kids and as of 2005 had the highest murder rate in the state (Buffalo has since passed it for 2006). There are really nice neighborhoods in the city of Rochester, particularly in the southeast area of the city; but the school system is pretty bad. The suburbs however are an exact opposite. Some of the best schools in the state and even in the country, especially in Brighton and Pittsford. Health Care and high-tech jobs have been growing pretty rapidly, especially for the past year; but manufacturing is on the way out and that has caused spinoff problems. I wouldn't say there is no hope, it looks like within the next year or two the employment picture will be much better than it has lately. But that doesn't detour from the definite fact that you should get a job BEFORE you move. Rochester has been rated one of the best palces to live in the country; and if you have a good job, that's very true; but it can be tough to find a job in certain fields.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 AM

Yeah...I wouldn't want to be in Rochester, but on the outskirts. Pittsford is where we are focusing. My husband is a cop down on the island and will be retiring (at age 40) with a 75K pension, so he does not have to find a high paying job, but just something to make us live comfortably.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:45 PM

104 posts, read 416,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingfromli View Post
Yeah...I wouldn't want to be in Rochester, but on the outskirts. Pittsford is where we are focusing. My husband is a cop down on the island and will be retiring (at age 40) with a 75K pension, so he does not have to find a high paying job, but just something to make us live comfortably.
Holy @*#(, $75k pension at age 40 as a cop? Geeze, I'm in the wrong field! You guys will do well in pittsford (based on my thoughts of the area).

We're also moving to Rochester post haste and pittsford is at the top of the list. I'm in IT and my wife is a nurse. Glad to hear i'minformed's thoughts on employment there. Obviously, we're waiting until I have a job first. Given I'm applying from out of state and haven't sent many resumes, I feel the return on submissions has been really fantastic for me so far, which is very encouraging.

I knew kodak's shrinking had hurt things but I had no idea it was to the tune of 50k jobs. For an area with a population of only a million, that is truly staggering. Maybe we are picking the ripe time to get a new house...or the worst. Who knows, life is a rollercoaster, but we're pretty optimistic...plus, as a canadian ex-pat, I can't wait to live near a Tim Horton's again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York