Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Which of these 4 areas (Metro) do you think will prosper over the next few decades? All equally? Some more than others?

What do you see as each areas strength/weakness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Depends on your definition of prosper. Right now, you'd be hard pressed to find many areas that are expected to prosper within the next 5 years due to the state of the economy. Sure wish this would hurry up and end! Personally, I think the big boom areas that have been hit pretty hard by this won't rebound and go back to the craziness they were - Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Vegas, etc. Some areas will do better than others, but that's true not matter what's happening in the world.

According to many magazines and their studies/surveys all of the cities you listed are in the most inexpensive areas for houses across the country with stable prices - compared to the rest of the country. At some point, that should really mean something. Who wants to live where the value of your home keeps dropping for 10 years and it becomes worthless?

None of those cities had the economic boom that places like Atlanta had so they had a lot less to lose. Once Buffalo gets that water development project underway and completed, I can see that helping them tremendously. I know the plan was worked on for over 10 years and Bass Pro Shops pulled out after 10 years. Time to get building and stop talking!

With Albany being the state capitol, it will always have something the rest of the state doesn't. Albany's economy doesn't just run on the state government. There's at least 13 colleges/universities in the area and the medical field is huge.

Syracuse and Rochester also have great things going for them. With both having the proximity to the Finger Lakes, there's so much agriculture and local small business ventures to be had. Both also have amazing colleges. Syracuse has been doing a lot in the way of revitalizing - tearing down old, crappy, worn down, falling apart buildings and putting up new hotels, shopping centers, and apartments/condos/townhomes/houses.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Albany has a built in advantage.

But I think Rochester is the best of the lot other than that. With all the downsizing of Kodak and Xerox Rochester has shown a great ability to replace many of those jobs.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 PM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
With Albany being the state capitol, it will always have something the rest of the state doesn't. Albany's economy doesn't just run on the state government. There's at least 13 colleges/universities in the area and the medical field is huge.

The above statement sums it up, long term the Cap District has so much more going then all other City's mentioned.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
So much more? Not really.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Does Tech Valley go west out of Albany at all? I know there are several companies in Albany and the chip plant going in up in Malta, but I was wondering if it has trickled west at all.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
No, but there's the Creative Core: New York's Creative Core - Home

This website is great for highlighting Upstate NY regions: Central New York Jobs

Just click on a region, then click where it says check out the lifestyle of the region you want.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Does Tech Valley go west out of Albany at all? I know there are several companies in Albany and the chip plant going in up in Malta, but I was wondering if it has trickled west at all.
Nothing trickles West, most businesses have left Western NY, thats a shame really. NY is a big place once you pass Glens Falls on 87 (North)you can drive 2 hours , nothing till Plattsburg. NY is like a Corridor up to Glens Falls, nothing beyond that North or East, West got some Towns like Utica, Binghampton, Syracuse, slim pickings Upstate.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, but there's the Creative Core: New York's Creative Core - Home

This website is great for highlighting Upstate NY regions: Central New York Jobs

Just click on a region, then click where it says check out the lifestyle of the region you want.
Great! Thanks so much!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Nothing trickles West, most businesses have left Western NY, thats a shame really. NY is a big place once you pass Glens Falls on 87 (North)you can drive 2 hours , nothing till Plattsburg. NY is like a Corridor up to Glens Falls, nothing beyond that North or East, West got some Towns like Utica, Binghampton, Syracuse, slim pickings Upstate.
It really is a shame that things don't trickle west. Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo all have amazing universities so they have educated people. Sadly, a lot leave. Even Utica has SUNYIT and I just don't understand why Utica is in the state that it's in. I fully understand the high taxes and high cost of living in NY and it's not super business friendly, but it's such a shame. The state has so much to offer. The politicians seriously need to get their heads out their rear ends and fix the state.

I do have to say I really miss the areas of NY where it's nothingness. Northern nothingness is soooooo very different from Southern nothingness. We relocated last year and am already counting down the days till we move back home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York