Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM

640 posts, read 1,986,576 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband got an offer to work in TowandaPA.

I have no idea where to look for rental. The people at the front desk of the hotel we're at said Owego, NY is a really nice town, plus the Sayre/Waverly/Athens area is decent. We don't want to live in Towanda because the rent will be too high and the traffic there is crazy. Elmira looks like it would be about a 45 min commute, which is too long. But am I wrong about the commute from Elmira to Towanda??

If anyone can help us out regarding the questions/issues below we'd really appreciate it. We are interested in the Owego and surrounding areas, but have no idea if rents are really high or not.

Here's where I need help, if you can help me out:
1) Safety. Are there areas we should absolutely stay away from? Are there areas/towns that you consider generally safe to live in (I'm worried about bodily harm and robbery of the rental).
2) Commute. I don't want my husband commuting more than 15-20 mins to Towanda, but he's willing to commute 30 mins. Any towns stand out in your minds?
3) I don't mind living in a very rural area, if I can get to shopping (groceries) in about 10-15 mintues, and then other shopping within 30 minutes (like a shopping strip or a mall).
4) Quiet. My husband will have to go to sleep early, around 8-9PM, so we're looking for a place that will be basically quiet around then--so I guess not close to busy streets or a highway.
5) Rent that won't break the bank . I want to live in a house with 2 bedrooms, or 1 BR and an office. Rent-wise I think we can afford about $900-$1100 if we have to pay utilities. I heard electric bills were about $125-$150 last billing in Sayre, PA (because of the heat, air conditioners were running), so I have to take that into account. I heard gas heat is cheaper now as well. Is $900-1100 realistic, if we find the right town?
6) Don't need nightlife and don't have kids. We're in our early 50's, we aren't partiers. School districts don't matter.
7) A gym. My husband is an avid gym-goer, so the area has to have a gym within 15 minutes of where we live. He can't live without the gym!

If you have any expertise, knowledge, or opinions on any of the above, please pick a number, or numbers and let us know. We're enjoying our time in Sayre (here till next Friday), but wonder if Owego or Nichols or some other town might be better choices, safety-wise and rent-wise.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
I don't understand how Elmira is too long of a commute but you are considering Owego (which is about the same distance from Towanda)? Neither are within the 15-20 minutes you want as both are closer to 45-50 minutes (in good weather) ..... Sayre is even a good 30 minutes. Your only real options are Towanda, Athens/Sayre, Monroe, Wyalusing or somewhere out in the country of Bradford County, PA. Athens/Sayre is going to offer the most but if you think the traffic is crazy in little old Towanda I don't think you would want any part of Sayre/Athens.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I agree that your best bets are Towanda itself or the Athens/Sayre/Waverly area. Athens is 20 minutes down Route 220 and Sayre and Waverly are about 5 more minutes or so. That area has a pretty good hospital and you can get to Owego or Elmira in a short time from there. Here's some information on that area: Athens, Pennsylvania

Sayre Borough -
Sayre, Pennsylvania

Welcome to WaverlyBarton.com
Waverly, Tioga County, New York

Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
It seems to me that traffic is better in The Valley (Sayre/Athens/S Waverly/Waverly) than in Towanda because Towanda has a choke point at the bridge and Wysox made much worse by the gas fracking traffic. B.G. (before gas) the major employer in The Valley was Guthrie medical center and destination clinics.

If you're 10-15 minutes to groceries in the Twin Tiers you're not in a very rural area by any stretch applying local standards. It does seem that The Valley or Towanda itself are the best bets. With the possible exception of some parts of the City of Elmira crime is nonexistent especially by metro standards, mostly confined to domestic disputes and the occasional meth-head. Most of the gas workers are OK but a few bad apples have been reported among that population too.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I don't understand how Elmira is too long of a commute but you are considering Owego (which is about the same distance from Towanda)? Neither are within the 15-20 minutes you want as both are closer to 45-50 minutes (in good weather) ..... Sayre is even a good 30 minutes. Your only real options are Towanda, Athens/Sayre, Monroe, Wyalusing or somewhere out in the country of Bradford County, PA. Athens/Sayre is going to offer the most but if you think the traffic is crazy in little old Towanda I don't think you would want any part of Sayre/Athens.
Thanks for replying.
My husband has been driving from northern Sayre on 220 to Towanda and he said it takes about 15-20 minutes.

When I go***ed Elmira to Towanda, it comes up with a tavel time of 45 minutes, that's why Elmira seems too long.

I got 45 mins for Owego to Towanda as well, which doesn't match what the people at the front desk of the hotel said. They said the travel time was the same as from Sayre to Towanda. On the map, Owego is definitely more north and east.

I saw Wyalusing's sign on the way up to Sayre. That's off of route 6. I've read on the PA forums that Route 6 can be very dicey in the winter. We drove up it in torrential rain, and it was dicey then. I come from a place that gets a lot of snow and ice, but haven't experienced the steepness of the grades on route 6.

What about Nichols? Hoopers Valley? Chemung? (All in NY)
Litchfield? Ulster? (in PA)

Regarding my traffic comment in Towanda, we drove in on Route 6. There was about a 1 1/2 mile backup to the light in Towanda. My husband said that every time he's been to Towanda the traffic has been like that throughout town. I haven't seen anything like that in Sayre, though.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree that your best bets are Towanda itself or the Athens/Sayre/Waverly area. Athens is 20 minutes down Route 220 and Sayre and Waverly are about 5 more minutes or so. That area has a pretty good hospital and you can get to Owego or Elmira in a short time from there. Here's some information on that area: Athens, Pennsylvania

Sayre Borough -
Sayre, Pennsylvania

Welcome to WaverlyBarton.com
Waverly, Tioga County, New York
Thanks so much for those links!
Towanda will be out of our budget for rent, I think.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
It seems to me that traffic is better in The Valley (Sayre/Athens/S Waverly/Waverly) than in Towanda because Towanda has a choke point at the bridge and Wysox made much worse by the gas fracking traffic. B.G. (before gas) the major employer in The Valley was Guthrie medical center and destination clinics.

If you're 10-15 minutes to groceries in the Twin Tiers you're not in a very rural area by any stretch applying local standards. It does seem that The Valley or Towanda itself are the best bets. With the possible exception of some parts of the City of Elmira crime is nonexistent especially by metro standards, mostly confined to domestic disputes and the occasional meth-head. Most of the gas workers are OK but a few bad apples have been reported among that population too.
Thanks for the info on crime (from your perspective). It's appreciated!
Towanda rents are gonna be sky-high, nothig we can afford. So maybe we need to stick to the Athens/Sayre/Waverly area. If it's safe, and if there's a gym nearby my husband can go to, and if the rents are doable, then maybe the valley will do.

I still don't understand why I was told it's the same travel time from Owego as from Sayre to get to Towanda.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
I still don't understand why I was told it's the same travel time from Owego as from Sayre to get to Towanda.
They must be one of those folks who travel by helicopter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York