U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM

205 posts, read 180,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Around here, we are still old fashioned (I am on the border of outer ring burbs/rural) -- if you look in our local town paper, you will find groups where people get together to do civic projects. You can join a town historical society or volunteer for something like the Library, Meals on Wheels or join a Fire Dept ( we have a woman's auxiliary that does fundraisers and cooks but basically is a social group). There are quilting groups here, garden groups... lots if you look. School districts have "adult education" - classes of all kinds. Lots of churches hold exercise classes cheaper than gyms. Meeting people is not a problem where I live.
That sounds good
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,138,723 times
I think you'll find NNY quite friendly.

DH and I lived in P'burgh for 8 years (he's from a small town near there - Mooers). I came from a city to the West - Ogdensburg and am a rather outgoing person. I met folks at work, the gym, etc. Unless they built a new one since I moved to Florida 4 years ago, the nearest Barnes & Noble is in Burlington, VT.

The college has lots of different programs - take a class, go to a concert or a play - you'll meet folks. Don't be afraid to approach someone and ask a question. It can get you started. Volunteer for something - you have a dog, so you must like animals - there's a nice animal shelter on the former AF Base. Walk the dog - they're people magnets.

Enjoy. It's a beautiful area and I see you're already looking forward to visiting/hiking the ADK's. You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I think you'll find NNY quite friendly.

DH and I lived in P'burgh for 8 years (he's from a small town near there - Mooers). I came from a city to the West - Ogdensburg and am a rather outgoing person. I met folks at work, the gym, etc. Unless they built a new one since I moved to Florida 4 years ago, the nearest Barnes & Noble is in Burlington, VT.

The college has lots of different programs - take a class, go to a concert or a play - you'll meet folks. Don't be afraid to approach someone and ask a question. It can get you started. Volunteer for something - you have a dog, so you must like animals - there's a nice animal shelter on the former AF Base. Walk the dog - they're people magnets.

Enjoy. It's a beautiful area and I see you're already looking forward to visiting/hiking the ADK's. You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Best of luck.
Thank you so much! It's good to hear from someone who lived in P'burgh

so are you really enjoying life more in Florida? I see you don't like snow LOL (i'm the opposite can't wait to try my luck at skiing and snowboarding)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Two great things happened when we moved 4 years ago - we retired (at a relatively "young" age) and got away from the snow. Cold and I do NOT get along, so I'm just loving it down here. But if you promise not to tell my DH....I really could use a break from the heat and humidity right about now. It's been really bad this year.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Two great things happened when we moved 4 years ago - we retired (at a relatively "young" age) and got away from the snow. Cold and I do NOT get along, so I'm just loving it down here. But if you promise not to tell my DH....I really could use a break from the heat and humidity right about now. It's been really bad this year.
you've noticed too? OMG its so terrible here! I took my dog out a little while ago and it was a nightmare. My AC is going crazy because it gets so cool at night and hot during the day.

I'm the opposite of you I can handle the cold MUCH better than the heat. So I'm really ready to leave here and go enjoy the snow for a change.

You're so lucky you're retired... apparently it makes living in florida a lot more fun..........

Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM

LOL...I would believe retirement makes living anywhere a lot more fun!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
LOL...I would believe retirement makes living anywhere a lot more fun!
very true

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 AM

602 posts, read 1,102,982 times
Go do the things you like to do, look around and see who is there. As for finding people in one are vs another, I don't think the area has anything to do with it except activities may vary via location so your consideration of trying new things may have to be modified.

Now go out and play and have fun.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM

602 posts, read 1,102,982 times
I am curious and you do not have to answer but your posts are short in nature with limited detail. I was curious so I looked at your profile, you have engaged but in none of your comments did I ever get that impression.

If you are still engaged I would have expected a couple of "we" comments, if not you may want to correct your profile.

I meet my wife online but the hardest thing I remember was posting, I had to figure out who I was not what read well. We are perfect as perfect can be what is good is that we change together.

Here is a link I suspect you will enjoy. Also a prior post mentioned meetup groups and I agree, you may not know but you can start your own groups in meetup also, enjoy the doors you open and move through.

‪Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack-01 Sayuri's Theme‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I am curious and you do not have to answer but your posts are short in nature with limited detail. I was curious so I looked at your profile, you have engaged but in none of your comments did I ever get that impression.

If you are still engaged I would have expected a couple of "we" comments, if not you may want to correct your profile.

I meet my wife online but the hardest thing I remember was posting, I had to figure out who I was not what read well. We are perfect as perfect can be what is good is that we change together.

Here is a link I suspect you will enjoy. Also a prior post mentioned meetup groups and I agree, you may not know but you can start your own groups in meetup also, enjoy the doors you open and move through.

‪Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack-01 Sayuri's Theme‬‏ - YouTube
I am still engaged... I'm just the more outgoing onemy of the two of us! LOL!

The purpose for this topic, for me, was to get a feel for how people are up north. Not sure if you've ever been to Florida but people are very cold and into themselves. Growing up in Conn I remembered people being the opposite of this and wanted to get an idea if NNY would be more like how I remembered growing up.

It's funny everyone keeps hinting at or recommending meeting people online. Honestly, that's the last thing I want to do (I have plenty of friends online, in fact one of my best friends I met online). I want to get out and meet people the old fashioned way. I want to meet and know my neighbors where ever I move to. I want to have active relationships away from the computer.

I am so happy for you that you and your wife ended up being perfect for one another!

LOL I do appreciate the link. Thank you very much I also agree that the meetup site does look fairly promising as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York