Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,436 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everyone who has answered my post about SUNY schools but now I have some other questions as well....

As you may have seen iin my other post i mention that I live nn Newburgh, which is about 15 minutes away from the Woodbury Commons. Anyway Here are some questions that I have

1. Which CUNY schools besides Hunter have Dorms?
2. Any thoughts on Manhattan and Marymount college?
3. How do I know what is too close. Like I know regardless where I end up I still will have my own life but I feel like if I went to SUNY New paltz I wouldn't really be alone, instead I would be so close to home I would be tempted to come home and I would be here all the time.

4. What are your experiences, how far did you go from home and what made you make that decision?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
As for going to school in city....I say go for it. If there was a meteorology program anywhere in NYC I would've easily been on it. Nothing beats the city for entertainment, fun, sports, etc - tons to do. No need for a car obviously. The trip can be done 95% by mass transit for you too -> subway -> Grand Central -> Beacon = easy. That's like $30 round trip. Heck, if I went to school in the city, I would consider commuting...it really isn't that bad at all. My friend that lives in Montgomery commutes to FIT everyday...and I have another friend that commutes from Montgomery to Hoboken. I think it would be much more fun to stay in NYC, though.

3. I live right down the road from Newburgh in Montgomery and I know that if I went to New Paltz that I would be home often and might even commute to save money. IMO, coming home too often messes with the "college experience" a little bit. I know some other VC grads that go to New Paltz and hardly come home. Will you have your own car? If you don't/won't have one, you may not be as tempted to come home. This fall will be my first semester with a car at SUNY Oswego. Paying $80 for a 460 mile round trip in gas isn't exactly optimal and will likely keep me in Oswego most weekends aside from the long ones.

4. Since I had few choices due to my major coverage being scattered, I had to settle fairly far from home. If I had it my way, I'd like to be 2-3 hours from home. I've had fun, no doubt. Once you are at school a few weeks, you begin to forget about home just a little bit.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM

That's the thing though, like you said it messes with the "college experience" which is why I wouldn't want to commute. I lived in the city before moving to newburgh and I know how easy getting around is but that's why I'm not sure, like my dad does the 1 hour commute everyday and I did it for a year with him. I would love to learn to live by myself but im not 100% sure that'll happen with me being in NYC I almost feel like i'm better off going 3 hours from home and be certain that i will live alone then be close and take the risk i'll be too dependent.

As for the car, if the campus allows it freshman year I do plan on having a car.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
Now that I know that you have lived in NYC previously, I say go upstate. If NYC is too close and you think dependency could be an issue, all the more reason to.

It'll be a good bit different from what you are used to, especially if you go somewhere rural (Cortland County certainly fits this). You'll have a car so you can easily get home whenever you need to.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:14 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I appreciate everyone who has answered my post about SUNY schools but now I have some other questions as well....

As you may have seen iin my other post i mention that I live nn Newburgh, which is about 15 minutes away from the Woodbury Commons. Anyway Here are some questions that I have

3. How do I know what is too close. Like I know regardless where I end up I still will have my own life but I feel like if I went to SUNY New paltz I wouldn't really be alone, instead I would be so close to home I would be tempted to come home and I would be here all the time.

4. What are your experiences, how far did you go from home and what made you make that decision? She went elsewhere. NYC is too expensive for apts. for students

Thank you
Hunter has a very small dorm capacity. I know someone whose child got in, but not into the dorm -- no room.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 AM

205 posts, read 389,216 times
Quote:

4. What are your experiences, how far did you go from home and what made you make that decision?

Thank you
well i can answer #3 & #4

so i moved 5 & 1/2 - 6 hrs away from "home" (aka SWFL) and at the time I was trying to move as close to the border of FL as possible (i really dont like it here)

I would say from my experience being 4-6 hrs away from family still gives you freedom but you're #1 still in the same state which helps #2 you feel like you're further apart than you really are

i really recommend getting away from home though and having to do things for yourself. It does help you to mature and understand what YOU want for YOU out of life. It will really open your eyes

my only regret is that I wish I had researched where I lived now before I moved here (that probably why im researching plattsburgh to death now before i move). There's a lot of crime here...I wish I had been more aware of that. Some other things I would have had to learn by myself anyway regardless of if I had known about them or not (that's life). I had a lot of crappy experiences here, but they did help me to grow as a person and really focus on my goals.

The other good thing is I met my fiancee when I moved from home so if I hadn't made that leap I don't know what would have happened

good luck sweetie!!!!

***edit**** BUT if you want to save money...stay at home... you'll take out less loans and can save while you're in college... I HIGHLY recommend learning how to save now and how to be good with a credit card...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Well I am depending on scholarship and merit money, with my grades I'm lookig at at least 4k worth of money coming in. Besides I'm mostly looking at SUNY schools so money isnt really an issue

Thanks for answering guys!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Well I am depending on scholarship and merit money, with my grades I'm lookig at at least 4k worth of money coming in. Besides I'm mostly looking at SUNY schools so money isnt really an issue

Thanks for answering guys!
yes keep looking into scholarships and grants... believe me if you are any other ethnicity than white scholarships are practically given to you... also if one or both of your parents/ (and sometimes even siblings) are in the military... you can DEFINITELY get some good money from that

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Well I'm Hispanic and I have a 4.0 Unweighted GPA so I think I'm pretty good xp

Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Well I'm Hispanic and I have a 4.0 Unweighted GPA so I think I'm pretty good xp
lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York