U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 AM

23 posts, read 52,428 times
Either city is a horrible choice.. The economic climate in Ulster and orange Counties is one of the worst in the state, which is not good to begin with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 21,295 times
I agree with what is being said here. I grew up and went to college in this part of NY, and, for a person your age, New Paltz would be the best bet. There are educated people there from all over, and you are just a shot away from the city. Kingston, Saugerties, Catskill...all these little towns along the river are mostly brain-dead and can even be a little dangerous as there is a growing, aggressive underclass (black, white and hispanic!) and it is the rural version of the inner-city crime problem. Local law enforcement in these areas can be pathetically incompetent, so if you ever get into a situation, call the NY State Police. On a more positive note...this area of NY is absolutely beautiful, especially in the Fall (Catskill Mountains). Also, since you are in the field of social work, SUNY New Paltz has lots of courses in that field, so you could continue your education there. Summary: learn how to deal with boredom, enjoy the scenery, watch your back, and be glad the City is near to wake you up from Upstate dreams/nightmares!

Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 AM
D&T

33 posts, read 123,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marticus View Post
I agree with what is being said here. I grew up and went to college in this part of NY, and, for a person your age, New Paltz would be the best bet. There are educated people there from all over, and you are just a shot away from the city. Kingston, Saugerties, Catskill...all these little towns along the river are mostly brain-dead and can even be a little dangerous as there is a growing, aggressive underclass (black, white and hispanic!) and it is the rural version of the inner-city crime problem. Local law enforcement in these areas can be pathetically incompetent, so if you ever get into a situation, call the NY State Police. On a more positive note...this area of NY is absolutely beautiful, especially in the Fall (Catskill Mountains). Also, since you are in the field of social work, SUNY New Paltz has lots of courses in that field, so you could continue your education there. Summary: learn how to deal with boredom, enjoy the scenery, watch your back, and be glad the City is near to wake you up from Upstate dreams/nightmares!

Pardon me, but we live in the 'mostly brain-dead' little town of Catskill along the Hudson River, and it is very beautiful and no where's near as bad as you are portraying it as. Saugerties is a nice little town as well. Kingston has it's share of problems, but many towns that size do. I cannot say much about Middletown, as I have not visited that area much.

For a period of 5 years, we lived in Dutchess County (Town of Poughkeepsie - Hyde Park area), and we definitely prefer what Greene County has to offer over the atmosphere in Dutchess. That is our preference.

I believe that in order to make such a big decision, visiting the area ahead of time and 'getting a feel' for what it would be like to live there is a very important step to take before making a commitment to live there full time.

Hope that helps you some! Good luck with your move.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:12 AM

45 posts, read 182,931 times
i just recently escaped poughkeepsie/lagrange area and having lived in many places (including the bangor area ... winterport is lovely!) i can't recommend kingston or middletown.

the folks above have stated it all ... no fun, lots of crime.

come on up to saratoga springs! altho the racing season is just ending it's nice here. you'll find people to be a lot like those in maine (altho perhaps a little more urbane) and there's plenty for families, too. good schools, activities, etc.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 PM

37 posts, read 128,658 times
good luck!!!! crime and poverty galore!!!!! apes and mexticos everywhere lmao Highland next to kingston and 1br are cheap. walkill/Scotchtown next to middletown cheap too and better areas

Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
I am some what like emmit. I live in Stevens Point, Wi (25,000 pop). Working in a warehouse, great money but need to start something new. Had planed to move to Stoney Brooke with other. Plans got changed looking to get into the hospitality industry some day but now just want to get to NY and get a job and place to live. Any help for me.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM

492 posts, read 38,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt82 View Post
I am a 24 yr old college grad and am moving from Maine to either Kingston or the Middletown area. I need info on these 2 places. I want to find a good job and be around educated people my age. Is there anything going for either city? Anything to do there? I could use all the info I can get before I move!
I have advice on Kinston.
If your white Anglo or Aisian get a licenced a gun, CCW permit and bullet proof vest if you plan on going out after dark. I was up there last year on a job. The place reminded me of walking through south Fredricstead in St.Croix.
Many of the people up there dont relize how much the place has changed. The place had been going downhill since the 70's.

-Joe

Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,099 times
I live in Middletown. So I'll start there. The school district is a crime. I've never seen worse, and this is from a military family! For a one BR apartment you should not consider Middletown. The apartment complexes are a hit & miss issue. If you look at 1 BR apartments in a house, visit the area on a Friday night and watch what happens. Crime is increasing from my neighborhood's point of view. The good point is it is near the train station for city touring and a short drive to hiking and other outdoor activities.
I agree that New Paltz and its surrounding areas are ideal for you. Its close to both locations, less than 1 hr to Middletown and less than 20 min. to Kingston.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM

14 posts, read 35,852 times
We moved from Maine to outside Middletown 3 years ago. Looked all over the area and chose based on proximity to work and school system - moved to Minisink Valley and have pleased. HOWEVER - for a younger single person New Paltz is the place to be on this side of the Hudson. Lot of restaurants, some decent music and cultural events, Poughkeepsie is just acrss the river and has a civic center, and the nearby hiking is great.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM

23 posts, read 52,428 times
Default New Paltz is best in the area

I must say, New Platz is the best in the general area--- or Woodstock, though that is even smaller and more remote---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York