U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM

38 posts, read 131,882 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Warwick N.Y...I had the water tested by an inspector..The results came back as positive for Total Coliform..So the owner had the water shocked and also put in an ultra violet light...So again I sent the inspector to do another test...This time for whatever reason he took the test from a hose outside the home....He said he removed the hose and let the water run then he took the sample...Now results are back still positive...Now I am sending a professional water company to go do another test...What else can I do...I am running out of options especially when I don't know anything about well water..I live in the city so I never had this issue..Any ideas...or suggestions? Please someone help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 PM

136 posts, read 524,916 times
I'm also in the process of buying a place with a well, near Halcottsville, NY. A well water test was done by hte home inspector, and it came back positive for both "total coliform" and "E. Coli" contamination. Fortunately, the inspection contingency time hasn't quite elapsed yet, and there's still time to put the deal on "hold", until the situation can be resolved (I hope).

I wonder how common this kind of test failure is?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:20 PM

ss58yy hello... I had my water tested by an inspector twice to find out he first tested it from a faucet in the kitchen that had a hose attached to it...Well water cannot be tested from a faucet with a hose..Second test he took from an outside hose another no-no..It was positive for total coliform..So I decided to get a water company to do it..Well they tested the water from a faucet that was completely metal and it was sanitized before taking the sample...It came back good this time.However the owner shocked the well and also put in a ultra violet light which this helped..So deal is on and we will be closing after labor day..Make sure this is taken care of...It is very stressful to know something is wrong with the water..I wish you luck keep me posted....

Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 PM

886 posts, read 1,798,294 times
This sounds scary and should give anyone looking to move out into a rural area and will be on a well a reason to think twice. Upstate NY has A LOT of issues with their wells that have contaminated by the overspraying of liquified manure onto farm fields, or have several liquid manure lagoons that leech in to the soil and into neighboring well systems. Forget wind farms, this is a very real, here-and-now controversy - the existence of CAFOS (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation). These are farms that pack in the livestock by the thousands, and then have to deal with their manure issues. They are encroaching on neighbors, who often are forced to flee their homes in fear of continually being exposed to e-coli and other bacteria, and are frequently ill from this type of contamination. The controversy stems from the accusations that the state officals are not thoroughly checking out these farm operations and letting them get away with a form of harmful pollution. Apparently, the farm lobby is very strong in NY. And farmers complain that they have to operate these CAFOS to remain competitive and solvent.

After reading about the wind turbines, the CAFOS, and other rural issues, I've made up my mind that the rural life is not for me. I'll take an in-town home with an acre of land or less in exhange for some piece of mind.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM

The seller has agreed to put in an UV filter to kill off the bacteria from the well. This problem is apparently very common around here. I assume the installers will disinfect the pipes downstream of the UV unit before taking samples the the water test (or else risk getting a false positive).

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM

ss58yy now you got me thinking about a false positive.....How do I know this? Well I think I will just continue testing the water.Oh my this is something to think about....

Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM

The compamy that installed the UV filter found out that the wellcap was loose. This may have let surface runoff contaminate the well water. Anyway, it's good to get the wellcap tightened up and have the UV filter as an extra safety measure, I suppose. Closing should be around Oct 10.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 AM

ss58yy I am glad that your situation has been resolved....I finally closed on my home and I have been moving things up....I had water re-tested and things are good now..I also have a uv light..I just hope and pray that it doesn't come back...I wish you all the best with your closing... I know how stressful that is... best of luck to you......god bless your new home...

Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM

524 posts, read 1,661,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post

After reading about the wind turbines, the CAFOS, and other rural issues, I've made up my mind that the rural life is not for me. I'll take an in-town home with an acre of land or less in exhange for some piece of mind.
Oh Looking, come now-don't give up on the counrty just yet, AND Warwick really is not all that country, compared to Halcottsville and where we are.

This is an issue where ever there are wells, and it is an issue that can not be entirely blamed on farmers raising livestock. There are many many country homes that are not right nest door to livestock. Also, in watershed land, we live under VERY strict septic, well, and run-off rules because god forbid the city folk get dirty water! Actually, because of our high quality of water here, NY still does not amend their water supply-even after running down the original wooden pipes from here to there! Also, the depth of the well makes a difference-ours is 600 ft, some here are 500 or 400-mountian living, have to dig deep for the springs

Don't give up on the counrty, just be educated and informed and make good, careful decisions-like I know you do already. An d remember-wells and septics make as much of a difference as livestock. The farmers have a hard enough time as it is, and while the manure issue is importnat, it is not the ONLY cause of this problem.

peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York