U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2009, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,385 times
I miss Binghamton.

I think the people who really dog Binghamton need to go and live somewhere really bad. I currently live out in SE Manitoba. Minimal jobs (unless you have the right last name or you want to drive an hour and a half to Winnipeg), rudest and most miserable people ever, cruddy weather (-50F windchills in the winter with days of seeing daily high temps anywhere from -20F to -40F), horrible roads and infastructure, high taxes . . . I now see Binghamton in a different light. We're planning on moving back to the US in a few years. We're considering the Binghamton area (as I'm from there and family is there). The only thing that will really keep us away is the property taxes.

I am so happy when I arrive back in Binghamton to visit family. I know there needs to be improvement, but it really is not a bad place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 AM

460 posts, read 1,176,510 times
...A nice positive note(Elizabeth1105)....like I've said..live elsewhere for a while..ANY place will have it's negatives. People I've run into who have left the area and have stopped back to visit are easy to figure out. They almost feel compelled to say how great/wonderful/etc.. their new location is, and how much they don't miss the southern tier(Binghamton and vicinity). They then will offer their sympathy to us still living here.......They can save their shallow sympathy for someone else............

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,673 times
I love the posts that tell you Binghamton is not so bad and they go on to describe worse places. Yes, and if you set yourself on fire you will appreciate being able to roll in Binghamton snow-even if it is May!. Yes, there are worse places and that is especially if you are able to leave the country. Even in the US you could probably do worse,although it is harder. You have one life. Why spend it in a depressed loser city. Yes there are worse but the optimistic point is that most are better. Go 150 miles in any direction and where you land will be better. It is just a simply disgusting place with a amazingly ugly cold university and an empty crumbling downtown and no mass transit and almost no way to get the hll out of there and gas and flights are about twice what they would be from anywhere else while incomes are half the state average and property values halve ever two years. It is an amazing place alright.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,673 times
I think the poster above you, Tioga, was trying to say that the area is pretty low level with few jobs for anyone who can read and write but there are jobs for the bulk of the residents. When the poster took the information off the resume that conveyed formal education, jobs became available. The trouble is that all the neighbors and co-workers could not read or write. Don't mean to be a snob but I like being around people who were able to stay in school beyond 6th grade but that's just silly ol'me and most residents are happy with the town as it is and as it was and as it always will be, a one closed factory town.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 AM

460 posts, read 1,176,510 times
Oh really?....and you must have conducted a secret survey(in your mind) which concluded that most southern tier residents barely have beyond a sixth grade education. And by your other jabs at the southern tier, it is easy to sense you really have not lived(we're not talking vacations) elsewhere in the U.S.
Some personal "snapshots" from my times in other areas of this country......police helicopter flyovers at night- Arizona, eye watering smog-L.A., low wages/high unemployment- FLorida, lack of people who can speak the language of this country-California, Arizona, Florida, etc..That's not even touching on the pathetic school systems in some states, overcrowded infrastructure-N.C.....and on and on. But of course...this area is "oh so terrible"............."sure"..........

Old 11-21-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Elizabeth,
Do come back, Binghamton is not the best place but, it is not the worst. It is quiet and has 4 seasons, the traffic is light with good access from 3 major highways. It will never be perfect but we have hope with good schools and large homes and open areas. Yes the taxes are high but the homes are inexpensive. Our population for the county is stable at around 200,000. It would be better if we were part of Pensylvania. I would give the area a B-, If we were part of Pensylvania I would give the area an A-.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 AM

29,053 posts, read 33,003,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Wize View Post
Elizabeth,
Do come back, Binghamton is not the best place but, it is not the worst. It is quiet and has 4 seasons, the traffic is light with good access from 3 major highways. It will never be perfect but we have hope with good schools and large homes and open areas. Yes the taxes are high but the homes are inexpensive. Our population for the county is stable at around 200,000. It would be better if we were part of Pensylvania. I would give the area a B-, If we were part of Pensylvania I would give the area an A-.
Just curious, why do you think it would be better if the area was in PA?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 AM

3,063 posts, read 5,007,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Wize View Post
Elizabeth,
Do come back, Binghamton is not the best place but, it is not the worst. * * * It would be better if we were part of Pensylvania.
I'd tend to agree. PA doesn't put welfare benefits and roads on the county property taxpayer, lifting major burdens off the "upstaters" compared to what NY faces.

Interestingly, after a while of living in Iowa I got tired of answering the "Where are you from?" question (grew up between Cortland and Ithaca, with degrees from SUNY-Binghamton and SUNY-ESF) with "New York STATE" and then offering all the subsequent explanations and disclaimers (such as "an hour further from NYC than we are from Chicago") and at least once just said "Pennsylvania."

Then I wound up, unforeseen, moving to PA, where I learned to say "P.A."

Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,721 times
Default Bingo-Town

Well, when the environmental crap gets straightened out here shortly, and the energy companies start drilling for Marcellus Shale in the area, you will see a lot of money start coming to town. The key is for the area to spend wisely because the gas boom (in any area) will not last forever. As a long-time worker in the oil and gas industry, it is amazing what a positive affect that drilling and production can have to depressed areas. And believe me, NY State and the Governor have been watching what a boon to the economy and state coffers that the oil and gas industry has been for Pa. Binghamton, of course, will have a much better chance of surviving if the area, and particularly the State, returns to its conservative roots. The liberalization of and over-regulation by the government in Albany is killing upstate New York, for sure.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 PM

60 posts, read 99,311 times
Binghamton is like a smaller less intelligent way less fun NYC (specifically queens) vestal is like our LI. The entire town of union is like our jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York