U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,230,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Rosado View Post
I am a small investor, and a have a 3 family house in the the city of Newburgh. It's bad and need for a desparate change. I fix all problems and try to be the best landlord I could be. But they don't apprciate nothing. I pray for a change not only for my investment. But also for all the things I read about the history of this city. Only time can tell. I am still gonna invest there and do my best to see a change.

Interesting. I am looking into investing in Newburg but th crime, quality of life issues, drugs, and laws seem to deter me. The only plus is the inexpensive homes but I see no future development and the distance from NYC doesn't help. Still thinking about it....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:08 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,598,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Interesting. I am looking into investing in Newburg but th crime, quality of life issues, drugs, and laws seem to deter me. The only plus is the inexpensive homes but I see no future development and the distance from NYC doesn't help. Still thinking about it....
Be careful. There's a reason those homes are so inexpensive. Before even considering a property purchase in the City of Newburgh, take a look at the taxes. Their tax base is steadily dwindling. The city has only a 30% owner occupancy rate, and those homeowners who are left can't afford to live there and can't sell their homes. The city is currently sitting on 700 foreclosures they can't unload. Businesses are fleeing; two long-time businesses closed their doors just last month.

If you're still interested, try watching a city council meeting or two on YouTube before considering anything. The current group running things there now are even more inept and clueless than their predecessors, and that's saying something.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
it is now 2016 has anything improved in the town of newburg.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 9,113 times
There are quite a few people who are passionate and proactive in the revitalization of Newburgh, but it's such a slow and hard process that most people don't stick around long enough to see it through.

I'm an artist and lived in Newburgh for about a year. I miss it a lot. There's so many talented people living there and the amount of community events has blossomed. There have been a lot of new businesses with great potential that have opened up in the city recently. A lot of them are run by artists and young entrepreneurs. I guess it's a waiting game to see if progress will continue in the city, or if those business will have to shut down like so many others have.

I painted a mural last year on Hasbrouck St. to cover up some tagging on a building. A young man had actually been shot in his car a week before I started the mural there. As soon as I painted the primer over the tags (it's a tricky situation with that because you never know which gangs you're going to **** off), whoever was affiliated with the young man tagged all over wall I had just painted. It was frustrating, but I painted the primer again and moved forward with the mural. It hasn't been touched since.

The amount of support I got from the residents in that neighborhood was incredible. So many people stopped by while I was painting, thanking me for painting the mural, many of them saying it made them feel like they were worth something. Murals are painted in Newburgh on the main streets, but the side streets are neglected and that's where most of Newburgh's problems lie. I'm not sure what the current police situation is, but last I heard before I moved in July, the new police chief was actually going to different neighborhoods in the city and spending time with the children there, playing games and having small bbqs.

I have faith that Newburgh will reach its potential one day.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,378 times
i have relatives who have worked in city gov't in newburgh, trying to improve it. it's an uphill battle, with an obstreperous city council that has its share of crazies, the lack of transportation in the area to help get people to work, and the drugs that bring down the little communities in the city center. there's also rampant corruption, and as far as i can remember, the police department is way understaffed. to me, the problem in newburgh is that there's a generation of people in charge of city services who will not budge, who are basically do nothings and are on the take. there are benefactors here and there who want to help, but the feds won't give money to a town where corruption is so rampant. grants and special projects that could change newburgh's future fall by the wayside or are awarded to places like beacon, across the river, which has made great changes because of the monies flowing in.

newburgh has a lot of potential but not while the city government is locked down and in the hands of those who care only for their own benefits and not that of their community. it's a sad thing. hopefully new blood and new energy will revitalize the city and bring hope. it's happening, but far too slowly for my taste.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 5,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentiousBird View Post
There are quite a few people who are passionate and proactive in the revitalization of Newburgh, but it's such a slow and hard process that most people don't stick around long enough to see it through.

I'm an artist and lived in Newburgh for about a year. I miss it a lot. There's so many talented people living there and the amount of community events has blossomed. There have been a lot of new businesses with great potential that have opened up in the city recently. A lot of them are run by artists and young entrepreneurs. I guess it's a waiting game to see if progress will continue in the city, or if those business will have to shut down like so many others have.

I painted a mural last year on Hasbrouck St. to cover up some tagging on a building. A young man had actually been shot in his car a week before I started the mural there. As soon as I painted the primer over the tags (it's a tricky situation with that because you never know which gangs you're going to **** off), whoever was affiliated with the young man tagged all over wall I had just painted. It was frustrating, but I painted the primer again and moved forward with the mural. It hasn't been touched since.

The amount of support I got from the residents in that neighborhood was incredible. So many people stopped by while I was painting, thanking me for painting the mural, many of them saying it made them feel like they were worth something. Murals are painted in Newburgh on the main streets, but the side streets are neglected and that's where most of Newburgh's problems lie. I'm not sure what the current police situation is, but last I heard before I moved in July, the new police chief was actually going to different neighborhoods in the city and spending time with the children there, playing games and having small bbqs.

I have faith that Newburgh will reach its potential one day.

How do you feel about newburgh now?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 AM

17 posts, read 5,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
It seems like you have good instincts for investing in transitioning neighborhoods. That’s what I do. I was looking at newburgh back then. I think I read this post along time ago...but there are a few like this thread. What did you do?

Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 PM

27,576 posts, read 26,926,904 times
Probably the best thing the state could do is to is to bring Metro-North service to the west bank of the Hudson where tracks and right-of-way exist and having it cross over the new Tappan Zee bridge which is ostensibly built to be capable of carrying such.

New York state’s economy is mostly doing well when it comes to the NYC metropolitan area, but not so well elsewhere and NYC and its nearby counties contribute much more in state revenue than it gets in state expenditures. Trying to jumpstart and bolster upstate economies is a good goal and is good for everyone in the state when those efforts work, but one seemingly obvious pathway is to expand the connectedness of other cities to the NYC economic engine and a Metro-North expansion would do just that.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:53 AM

63,302 posts, read 88,785,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Probably the best thing the state could do is to is to bring Metro-North service to the west bank of the Hudson where tracks and right-of-way exist and having it cross over the new Tappan Zee bridge which is ostensibly built to be capable of carrying such.

New York state’s economy is mostly doing well when it comes to the NYC metropolitan area, but not so well elsewhere and NYC and its nearby counties contribute much more in state revenue than it gets in state expenditures. Trying to jumpstart and bolster upstate economies is a good goal and is good for everyone in the state when those efforts work, but one seemingly obvious pathway is to expand the connectedness of other cities to the NYC economic engine and a Metro-North expansion would do just that.
Metro North is already west of the Hudson, but what I think you are eluding to would make sense in terms of a line that goes along the bank. It looks like the line that ends at Spring Valley could be extended on through the Haverstraws and into Orange County with stops at West Point/Highland Falls, Cornwall, Newburgh and then into Ulster County to Marlboro, Highland and maybe to Kingston.

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM

27,576 posts, read 26,926,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Metro North is already west of the Hudson, but what I think you are eluding to would make sense in terms of a line that goes along the bank. It looks like the line that ends at Spring Valley could be extended on through the Haverstraws and into Orange County with stops at West Point/Highland Falls, Cornwall, Newburgh and then into Ulster County to Marlboro, Highland and maybe to Kingston.

MNR Map
Right, I should clarify. I didn't say west of the Hudson--I said the west bank of the Hudson which is the waterfront area itself and where Newburgh sits. I know that Metro-North currently has services west of the Hudson that terminate in Hoboken.

Now, having those existing lines west of the Hudson also extended and potentially linking with the western waterfront line can be a great idea as well though that'd be difficult as Spring Valley dead-ends into a residential area and far from connecting tracks. However, the rail on the west bank of the Hudson is actually currently intact and intersects with the freeways leading over the new Tappan Zee bridge, which is built to be able to accommodate rail, at some point around a brownfield site / quarry. If a Metro-North line is run across the Tappan Zee, then the choices are to round out from descending the bridge and linking to the current Hudson Line or to continue in the median of the highways/expressways until hitting the Harlem Line just north of the White Plains station which also means the ability to commute to jobs in White Plains.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-17-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York