Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleilove View Post
Really? I would think rent wouldn't be as expensive as Manhattan in those places. I can do a studio but I would prefer a 1 bedroom. So lets forget about the price. What areas are there that fit all my other criteria
I think he misunderstood you. When you said that the parts of Brooklyn and Queens near Manhattan are expensive, maybe he thought that you were saying that all of Brooklyn and Queens were expensive.

I mean, you can try southern Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge), parts of Bergen County like Rutherford and Lyndhurst, eastern Queens (Fresh Meadows, Bayside), most of Staten Island, and parts of The Bronx (Morris Park, Riverdale).

I mean, you don't even have to go too far east to get an affordable rent in Queens. Ridgewood and Jackson Heights have subway service and are reasonably affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Nyack would take a long while if using only public transportation. As far as I know, Fleetwood is super, super expensive. Maybe South Yonkers would work--something really close to the Yonkers train station--check out Hudson Park.
Many parts of Southwest Yonkers can be sketchy, so the OP should walk around the neighborhood to see if she feels safe.

But you have the right idea with staying along the Hudson. Those towns tend to be more walkable than those further inland (though most of the towns along Metro-North tend to be somewhat walkable). She can try Tarrytown, Peekskill, and Ossissing.

Quote:
I haven't heard anything good about Jersey City lately. They seem to be in the news a lot lately.

I also just looked up Fleetwood and a NY Times article from 2008 came up saying they have high crime.
Fleetwood itself doesn't have high crime. Mount Vernon (the city where Fleetwood is located) has high crime, and the Times is trying to say that it's like an oasis of goodness in a city with problems.

Here's the article you're thinking of: Living In - Fleetwood, Mount Vernon, N.Y. - In a City With Challenges, Much to Offer - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:22 PM

29 posts, read 72,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I think he misunderstood you. When you said that the parts of Brooklyn and Queens near Manhattan are expensive, maybe he thought that you were saying that all of Brooklyn and Queens were expensive.

I mean, you can try southern Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge), parts of Bergen County like Rutherford and Lyndhurst, eastern Queens (Fresh Meadows, Bayside), most of Staten Island, and parts of The Bronx (Morris Park, Riverdale).

I mean, you don't even have to go too far east to get an affordable rent in Queens. Ridgewood and Jackson Heights have subway service and are reasonably affordable.

Many parts of Southwest Yonkers can be sketchy, so the OP should walk around the neighborhood to see if she feels safe.

But you have the right idea with staying along the Hudson. Those towns tend to be more walkable than those further inland (though most of the towns along Metro-North tend to be somewhat walkable). She can try Tarrytown, Peekskill, and Ossissing.

Fleetwood itself doesn't have high crime. Mount Vernon (the city where Fleetwood is located) has high crime, and the Times is trying to say that it's like an oasis of goodness in a city with problems.

Here's the article you're thinking of: Living In - Fleetwood, Mount Vernon, N.Y. - In a City With Challenges, Much to Offer - NYTimes.com
Thanks for all your info it is very helpful. Yes that was the article I read, I guess I just read it wrong. It had so much to say about the troubles in Mount Vernon that I confused it with Fleetwood.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Jersey City is one of those places where it's either beautiful and very expensive to live, or it's ghetto. Not much in between. But it would fit your desire not to have a car, as there is plenty of public transportation along the Jersey side of the Hudson and into Manhattan.

You might also want to look into Rutherford, NJ. It's an easy train commute into Manhattan, and while a car would be preferable, you can live without one. It's a quietish town that has a downtown area with shops and bars and restaurants you could walk to, and is more affordable than some other parts of Bergen County.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your info it is very helpful. Yes that was the article I read, I guess I just read it wrong. It had so much to say about the troubles in Mount Vernon that I confused it with Fleetwood.
No problem.

You can try Mount Kisco as well. During rush hour, you're a little more than 45 minutes from Grand Central, and off-peak, the travel time is about an hour.

Some parts of Long Island like Mineola, Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Rockville Center (and possibly Hicksville, though the commute might be a bit longer) might have something affordable, but I think you'll have a better shot in Westchester.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM

8 posts, read 13,143 times
Your better off with a cool neighborhood in Brooklyn. Unless you want a crappier suburb, they are just as expensive plus you have to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York